Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius
I think AA understands very well. People ..... and moan about AA (and everyone) and threaten to fly a different airline, but then come back and book the cheapest fare.

Just look at Spirit - 1 star rating, tens of thousands of complaints saying WILL NEVER FLY SPIRIT AGAIN.. and yet they still crank out nice profits and growth. For better or worse, money talks. Similarly on the flip side, the fact that AA keeps a boatload of seats for elites and allows me to select MCE for free is why I continue to patronize them and am willing to pay MORE to fly AA and get the perks.
I agree that money talks and I find that AA BE is not as cheap as Spirit and other low cost airlines. Whereas some people might have been ok with that because they thought they could get something better with AA and now realize they won't get anything better will instead go all in on Spirit or some other low cost airline.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
You are completely wrong. AA punishes anyone not buying preferred seats, even if they are flying on a flexible economy fare. I NEVER book the cheapest economy fares, and I laugh when AA marks half the aircraft with "preferred" seating. United and Delta don't even go to that extreme.
Strangely, this process also highly favors AA elites. Status doesn't mean a whole lot with AA these days, but I can't even count the number of times my wife and I were able to get seats together on a last minute booking, precisely because so many seats go unselected.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:21 pm
E55

It's an excellent pricing question..... what's it worth to you to sit together? $700 more? $35 more? $6 more? Surely there is a threshold.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Think of it as you’re paying for a bad seats. A group sitting together will be occupying some good seats (aisle) and some bad seats (middle).

If you’re only paying the bad seat price you will only get bad seats which means no aisles. I’m guessing that on ten across triple seven they be willing to give you two middle seats together. On a single aisle plane, there are no bad seats together, the bad seats are next to good seats.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by E55
It's an excellent pricing question..... what's it worth to you to sit together? $700 more? $35 more? $6 more? Surely there is a threshold.
Indeed, I wonder how much AA wanted to charge the OP for seats together? I suspect that I might personally feel that there are way better things to do with that money than give it to AA.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I agree that money talks and I find that AA BE is not as cheap as Spirit and other low cost airlines. Whereas some people might have been ok with that because they thought they could get something better with AA and now realize they won't get anything better will instead go all in on Spirit or some other low cost airline.
The advantage legacy carrier BE fares have compared to LCCs is their route map once you get into the realm of secondary and tertiary airports. Spirit and Frontier don't come anywhere near where I live; Allegiant has a somewhat substantial summer schedule out of VPS but their destinations meeting our travel needs are kind of a hit or miss sort of thing. (Though I'd love to see AA's BE summer pricing for VPS-PIT match Allegiant's because I trust AA's mechanics far more, and it would be nice to do a quick family visit up there for cheap)

But try to find a non-legacy service for something like a PNS-GJT round trip, and it's not gonna happen.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The advantage legacy carrier BE fares have compared to LCCs is their route map once you get into the realm of secondary and tertiary airports. Spirit and Frontier don't come anywhere near where I live; Allegiant has a somewhat substantial summer schedule out of VPS but their destinations meeting our travel needs are kind of a hit or miss sort of thing. (Though I'd love to see AA's BE summer pricing for VPS-PIT match Allegiant's because I trust AA's mechanics far more, and it would be nice to do a quick family visit up there for cheap)

But try to find a non-legacy service for something like a PNS-GJT round trip, and it's not gonna happen.
I thought AA only offered BE fares for non-legacy routes?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HERTZ PC, CH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Only the gate agent can change the seat assignment from anon premium, back of bus.... err plane seat to another back of plane seat.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by c627627
24 hours before the flight is the first time you can check in without paying for seats. As I responded to AA's email about check in time almost immediately, I was one of the first to check in without paying for seats.

The entire point of this thread is that by checking in online, you are *guaranteed* to not sit together if you have a cheap ticket. This business of buying more expensive fare... hey lots of people who do not fly very often tend to buy cheapest air tickets. Some of them (most of them?) would never, ever.... ever, pay for First Class. The distinction between paying for first class or paying for *anything* extra, can be non-existent to people who think like that.
To them I say, do not check in ONLINE. You are guaranteed to sit apart. You may or may not sit apart if you check in at the airport.

Paying for seats is the only way to sit together if you buy cheap fare. Clearly.
Would the tickets cost more or less, would we be paying for seats, would we get a break if major airlines were broken up? Collusion and mergers is why airlines make money on secondary charges, not tickets. I think they said on 60 Minutes there was a word for profits made from charges which are not ticket charges. I think they said they are now in the billions.
This will only end when there's more competition or when big airlines are broken up. Till then pay up or sit apart.
As a side note since you do not seem to have a grasp on which fare you purchased, if you did indeed buy BE then do not bring any carry-ons with you that can't fit below the seat in front of you, they will charge you for them at the gate. So if you try to carry on a roll a board the GA will charge you for it.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
^
Someone at AA did their homework, put responsibility on gate agents. BE is boarding group 9, overhead space typically disappears during groups 7 or 8 on full flights. From a practical perspective, situation takes care of itself, BE customer may luck out on a half-empty flight every now and then, at the risk of a punitive gate checked bag fee.
FAs have no involvement; unlike UA, where FAs are required to police Y+ on domestic flights, charge fees to those attempting to access inflight.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
Someone at AA did their homework, put responsibility on gate agents. BE is boarding group 9, overhead space typically disappears during groups 7 or 8 on full flights. From a practical perspective, situation takes care of itself, BE customer may luck out on a half-empty flight every now and then, at the risk of a punitive gate checked bag fee.
FAs have no involvement; unlike UA, where FAs are required to police Y+ on domestic flights, charge fees to those attempting to access inflight.
FAs on AA flights should be blocking Y+ on AA fights to, but AA only recently started having Y+ and that only applies to a small number of aircraft.
MCE is a bit different as it is part of the Y cabin. Y+ is considered separate
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
FAs on AA flights should be blocking Y+ on AA fights to, but AA only recently started having Y+ and that only applies to a small number of aircraft.
MCE is a bit different as it is part of the Y cabin. Y+ is considered separate
I think the poster was referring to MCE as Y+.

Premium Economy is a totally different cabin and self upgraders will unceremoniously get the boot.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:03 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I wonder where the idea comes from, that people "need" to "sit together" on an airplane?

Right now (unless you're on a flight), where are your family members? Whether you're at home, at a shopping mall, at a beach, at Disneyland, etc, the chances are high that you are usually further away from your loved ones, on the ground, than the entire length of an airplane. So, if you're seated anywhere on the same plane, then you're in closer proximity to your family than you normally are, while on the ground.

So please get over the idea that you must be right in someone's armpit in order to be "near" that person.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Its sounds like you are realizing the downfall of going with the least expensive option as you've done. You aren't being penalized for anything. Its made clear that seats are automatically assigned at time of check in on Basic Economy fares and that you have the option to pick your own seats within 48 hours of departure for a fee. If you didn't like those terms of the fare, why would you book a basic economy fare?
To play Devil's Advocate and go back to my post the other day - third parties aren't always obvious about fares being BE, nor are casual "once a year" customers yet accustomed to LCC behavior from the legacy airlines.

It does come across as being penalized though, when AA doesn't say "These people are on the same PNR, so how about 13B, 14B, 15B" but instead seemingly go out of their way to put tons of space between seats. I sat next to a woman on Christmas in 17E, and her family was up in 12B, her in 17E, and back past row 20 (didn't see where).
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, HERTZ PC, CH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Does it not seem that the cost of regular Y flights a year ago are the price of BE flights now, and you have to pay the extra $10-20 to get back to Y? Or is it just placebo effect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.