Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

Just booked ATL-LGA (2 persons)
Basic economy - $149 (chose this obviously)
Normal economy - $320

When online check in, I got offered to choose seats for $22 each. The only seats together were 18a & 18c. Decided to gamble and not pay.

As soon as I finished check in, it auto assigned seats 18A & 18C for us for free
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by nk15
So for EXPs in B, check-in opens at T-24, what does the seat map look like, can you pick either orange or green seats? Are these grayed out, or have prices on them?
Bump

Last edited by nk15; Sep 28, 2017 at 10:49 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by twonga
Just booked ATL-LGA (2 persons)
Basic economy - $149 (chose this obviously)
Normal economy - $320

When online check in, I got offered to choose seats for $22 each. The only seats together were 18a & 18c. Decided to gamble and not pay.

As soon as I finished check in, it auto assigned seats 18A & 18C for us for free
No status with AA, correct?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by andresmdn
No status with AA, correct?
No status.

Also when we got onboard, the overhead bins were empty and we put out 2 carry on bags into the overhead bin.

So in short, for $149 each we got a one way ticket, 2 seats together and managed to use the overhead bins (the last part obviously shouldn't have been allowed) - not a bad deal really!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
No status.

Also when we got onboard, the overhead bins were empty and we put out 2 carry on bags into the overhead bin.

So in short, for $149 each we got a one way ticket, 2 seats together and managed to use the overhead bins (the last part obviously shouldn't have been allowed) - not a bad deal really!
Full size carryons? Otherwise, why shouldn't you be allowed to store your personal item in the overhead bins?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
No status.

Thing is - regular Y were probably also $149 r/t before BE.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm looking at AA flight 1683 on Thursday ATL -> LGA. Basic Economy is $149, Main Cabin is $279 and First Class is $409. I find it hard to believe that a lot of non-business travelers who are spending their own money would spend more than $100 extra for main cabin.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm looking at AA flight 1683 on Thursday ATL -> LGA. Basic Economy is $149, Main Cabin is $279 and First Class is $409. I find it hard to believe that a lot of non-business travelers who are spending their own money would spend more than $100 extra for main cabin.
For one-way? That's absurd, although are you talking about flights 4 days from now? I guess ~$560 r/t between 2 business centers with little A/P isn't so bad, and probably still a lot lower than it was 10 years ago.

What I was seeing recently on LGA-BOS was that both DL and AA would match the B6 fare (~$65 o/w the lowest I was seeing) but both mainline options were basic economy. Regular main cabin was ~$20 o/w extra. Not sure that's much of a value proposition to pay up for a regular fare on the legacies for such a short flight (where B6 arguably has a better product anyway) unless you're desperate for the EQMs.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:43 pm

Does gold members get free checked bags when traveling with basic economy?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by qazw1
Does gold members get free checked bags when traveling with basic economy?
Yes
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Yes
Thanks. The FA was wrong then when I asked. They told me status does not matter and elites have to pay for checked bags.

Do gold members have ability to select MCE 24 hours before flight? I assume also gold members are group 9 for boarding.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:01 pm

Thanks. The FA was wrong then when I asked. They told me status does not matter and elites have to pay for checked bags.

Do gold members have ability to select MCE 24 hours before flight? I assume also gold members are group 9 for boarding.
From the Wiki
Elite member access to Main Cabin Extra - Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats. (Link)

Upgrades – Not permitted, regardless of elite status level.

Bags – One personal carry-on item that fits under the seat (such as a purse or small backpack) is allowed. No overhead bin luggage may be brought on board. Larger carry-ons such as a rollaboard bag must be checked at the ticket counter for the applicable checked-baggage charge. Basic Economy customers who bring more than an under-seat personal item to the gate will incur regular checked baggage charges plus a $25 gate service charge per bag.

Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers will be allowed to bring one personal item, one rollaboard, and they maintain their current free checked bag allowance.

Boarding – Basic Economy customers will comprise the last boarding group and will be seated in the Main Cabin. Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers will continue to receive Priority or preferred boarding even when purchasing this fare.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
From the Wiki
Thanks - my fault for not reading the wiki.

So it seems that elites maintains the same boarding priority and still able to carry on a rollaboard. Only negatives is lost of upgrade as well as MCE.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:09 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Thanks - my fault for not reading the wiki.

So it seems that elites maintains the same boarding priority and still able to carry on a rollaboard. Only negatives is lost of upgrade as well as MCE.
And this, also from the wiki:
only one-half Elite Qualifying Mile will be earned per mile flown, and one-half Elite Qualifying Segment per segment flown.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by OTD
And this, also from the wiki:
only one-half Elite Qualifying Mile will be earned per mile flown, and one-half Elite Qualifying Segment per segment flown.
This is so annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.