Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, Americans reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Old May 8, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Ok, thank you regarding luggage! Yes my AA Gold status was always in the original reservation. I'm not sure why I was getting conflicting, short terse responses to my questions from AA customer service. I'm debating on whether to purchase seats now, or risk seeing what seats are open 24 hrs prior to the flight departure.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by davelip
Ok, thank you regarding luggage! Yes my AA Gold status was always in the original reservation. I'm not sure why I was getting conflicting, short terse responses to my questions from AA customer service. I'm debating on whether to purchase seats now, or risk seeing what seats are open 24 hrs prior to the flight departure.
Thats a cost-benefit decision and risk assessment youll have to make. Date, day of week, etc. come into consideration.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Flew BE to SFO with my dad who needed assistance. Leg to SFO had us in MCE in adjacent seats. The return had us separated in normal economy seats. Was able to check bags free since I have status and booked the trip. Boarding was also according to status, although because of the assistance, we were pre-boarded. Good value for sure as it saved us over $100 on a last minute flight.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Whats the play on BE when you're an elite (PPro)?

Check in at t-24 or wait for the desk agent at the airport and hope they'll hook you up?
Old May 23, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls

Check in at t-24 or wait for the desk agent at the airport and hope they'll hook you up?
I can't remember if I was able to select a seat (as gold) at t-24 or not. But I do know that that if the flight isn't full, asking the gate agent won't hurt.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls

Neither. Watch the seat map and check in when no crrappy seats are left to assign...
Old May 27, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dls25
Neither. Watch the seat map and check in when no crrappy seats are left to assign...
How do you check seat map without checking in?

Have a MIA-DCA coming up in June. Since we have to drive from Ft. Lauderdale, park the car at one of those hotels that offer off airport parking, then take a hotel shuttle to MIA - I dont know how to approach this BE check in timing.

Also does elite keep the priority boarding benefit?
Old May 27, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Happy

Have a MIA-DCA coming up in June. Since we have to drive from Ft. Lauderdale, park the car at one of those hotels that offer off airport parking, then take a hotel shuttle to MIA - I dont know how to approach this BE check in timing.

Don't try to check-in - manage your reservation on the website or app and look at the seat maps there.
joeyE likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:55 pm

Yes. And checked baggage allowance.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP

Go to aa.com and click on Flight Schedules and notifications. Enter in the origination and destination for your day of travel. For your flight click on seat map which will show open seats.
SamirD and ChurnieEls like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Go to aa.com and click on Flight Schedules and notifications. Enter in the origination and destination for your day of travel. For your flight click on seat map which will show open seats.
Thanks! I like this method that does not need to touch the reservation at all.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:12 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by SamirD
I can't remember if I was able to select a seat (as gold) at t-24 or not. But I do know that that if the flight isn't full, asking the gate agent won't hurt.
The system clearly prevents the gate agents from moving you from a BE seat to MCE. They get some kind of notice that makes it clear you're in a BE seat and are not allowed to switch.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHL
The system clearly prevents the gate agents from moving you from a BE seat to MCE. They get some kind of notice that makes it clear you're in a BE seat and are not allowed to switch.
To sum up a BE fare will only get a MCE seat if all other seats are occupied at the time of seat assignment. That's why it's better to wait until around T-1 when it's possible that only MCE seats are left. Albeit it will likely be a middle MCE.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Makes sense, although the first leg we were in MCE without asking for any type of seat assignment (auto-assignment). I think if the MCE seats are the last left, you can still get them with BE, but not by asking. I think the only thing you can gain by asking is changing the seats--up to their discretion of course.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamirD
Makes sense, although the first leg we were in MCE without asking for any type of seat assignment (auto-assignment). I think if the MCE seats are the last left, you can still get them with BE, but not by asking. I think the only thing you can gain by asking is changing the seats--up to their discretion of course.

I could be wrong but an agent can only re-assign a BE fare to any of the free seats available. So if a free window or aisle seat became available the agent could switch. However the kicker I think would be that all Main Cabin paxs have a seat assignment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.