Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (and on AY, BA, IB) (Master thread)

AA Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (and on AY, BA, IB) (Master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Basic Economy Fare Introduced Feb 2017

Transatlantic Basic Economy Across JBV (AA, AY, BA, IB) Began April 2018
(see below)

Link to aa.com page

Link to AA press release

Link to Gary Leff's blog article

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Basic Economy always books into B, but it is what's referred to as a dual booking class fare. The fare is determined by availability of B class (which is generally, but not always unlimited if the route offers Basic Economy), as well as another booking class (N,Q,V, etc.). A fare basis of Q3UZNB3 represents a Basic Economy "branded" fare that requires both Q and B classes to be available for sale at the time the reservation is made. This is not dissimilar to an instant upgrade fare. Purchasing a ticket with a fare basis of KVEUPNIF allows the passenger to be booked in I class (first class on domestic flights), provided both K and I classes are available at the time the reservation is made...
NOTE: During OSO / IROPS, some were being inadvertently rebooked from Main Cabin / Economy into Basic Economy (losing better seating, upgrade options, etc.) See AA Errors Reticketing into Basic Economy Fare

Special notice
Customers flying Basic Economy are now allowed 1 free carry-on (in addition to a personal item) to all destinations.
As of July 2019, Basic Economy passengers can purchase seats up to seven days before flying. Link to JonNYC Tweet.
Link to archived FT speculation thread

AA offers Basic Economy fares in across its domestic network and on transatlantic routes.

The boarding pass displays a large, scarlet B on it.

"These no-frills tickets provide a simple and affordable way to experience American’s network, and provide customers the option to pay for the services they want." - AA

Restrictions

A ticket gets you a seat in Main Cabin, with restrictions:
  • 1 item that fits under the seat in front of you and one regular overhead bin carryon as of 5 Sep 2018 and onward.) (Practically, Boarding in the last group offers a high chance rollaboard will be gate-checked.)

• Seats assigned at check-in

• Fees to choose a specific seat

• Not eligible for upgrades

• No flight changes or refunds

• Board in last group* (Group 9)

• Earn 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS per mile / segment flown

Inflight experience - Snacks and inflight entertainment included.

Earn AAdvantage miles (but see below - 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS)

OSO / IROPS - Will be reaccommodated on AA, not other airlines

[QUOTE]Routes

Some Basic Economy fares became available for purchase on select routes for travel starting March 1 2017, some international and transatlantic flights.

"Here’s a look at what Basic Economy customers can expect:

In-flight experience – The same in-flight experience that all Main Cabin customers receive today, including free entertainment options, soft drinks, and snacks, and the same seats.

Seat assignments – Made automatically and only when customers check in. Paid seat assignments can be purchased 7 days before the flight.

Elite member access to Main Cabin Extra - Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats. (Link)

UpgradesNot permitted, regardless of elite status level.

Bags – One personal carry-on item that fits under the seat (such as a purse or small backpack) and one overhead bin bag may be brought on board effective 5 Sep 2018.

N.B. Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers will be allowed to bring one personal item, one rollaboard, and they maintain their current free checked bag allowance.

Boarding – Basic Economy customers will comprise the last boarding group and will be seated in the Main Cabin. Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers will continue to receive Priority or preferred boarding even when purchasing this fare.

Tickets – Non-refundable, non-changeable. Use it or lose it. No same-day flight change or same-day standby.

AAdvantage – Full AAdvantage miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars may be earned when purchasing these fares; however, only one-half Elite Qualifying Mile will be earned per mile flown, and one-half Elite Qualifying Segment per segment flown.

Multiple disclosures spell out the attributes of a Basic Economy ticket at the time of purchase on aa.com, and when utilizing the airline’s reservations phone centers or when booking through a travel agent or online travel site. In addition to clear disclosures at the time of purchase, Basic Economy customers will also receive reminders as their travel day gets closer, including at check-in kiosks at the airport.

“Our goal is to make sure that all customers have the opportunity to purchase a ticket on American that works for their specific needs,” said Robert Isom. “We will work hard to ensure transparency, provide clear explanations of these fares, and we look forward to continuing to offer a wide variety of services to our customers.'"

Also note that Gary Leff confirmed

Update: American has now confirmed to me that basic economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will be at the bottom of the list for automatic re-accommodation (on AA) as well. However basic economy “B” inventory will not need to be available in order to be moved onto another flight.

Q&A

Is this a new fare discount?

No; it is a new lowest fare. These fares will be lower than regular Main Cabin fares in the same way that discounted Main Cabin fares are lower than fully flexible Y fares.

How many Basic Economy seats will be available on each flight?

The number will vary depending on the same factors that affect pricing generally. Revenue management, as usual.

How many markets will have Basic Economy fares available?

AA introduced Basic Economy in ten markets and expanded in to many domestic, international (including transatlantic) Flights.

Is the on-board experience in Basic Economy different?

“Once on the plane, Basic Economy customers have the same in-flight experience as anyone else in Main Cabin, including complimentary soft drinks and a snack. They sit in regular Main Cabin seats. American has no plans to alter its seats or the interior of its aircraft for Basic Economy.”

Will families that include young children be seated together?

“As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families
traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and
attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we
follow for Main Cabin customers.”

TRANSATLANTIC JBV BASIC ECONOMY APPLICATION (April 2018)

Now: Basic Economy on select flights to Europe
AA News, Thursday, March 01, 2018, 8:30 AM <link>

“Starting in April (2018), American will introduce Basic Economy on some trans-Atlantic flights, giving customers a new option for our lowest fares.

We're making this addition together with our Atlantic Joint Business partners British Airways, Iberia and Finnair.

We're following the same playbook in this latest expansion as we did for the initial rollout of Basic Economy. That includes training that began this week for Airports and Reservations team members and making it available in a limited number of markets first to make sure we get it right.

In general, most options and restrictions for trans-Atlantic Basic Economy are similar to those for domestic Basic Economy or for short-haul international Basic Economy such as flights to Canada, although there are a few differences.

A closer look at domestic and trans-Atlantic Basic Economy

Link to download pdf

Boarding: Trans-Atlantic Basic Economy customers, including those originating with a domestic leg, will board in Group 8. Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit card members will continue to receive Priority or preferred boarding even when purchasing this fare. (British Airways and American only, on American this will mean Group 8, and this doesn’t apply to Finnair or Iberia.)

Carry-on Bags: The carry-on bag allowance for all international Main Cabin fares, including trans-Atlantic Basic Economy, is one personal item and one larger carry-on. This is unchanged from international Main Cabin fares today.

Checked Bags: Regular Main Cabin fares will continue to include one checked bag for free. A new fee will apply for the first checked bag on trans-Atlantic Basic Economy. (But AA Elites retain their respective free checked baggage allowances.)

Connections: Customers flying on a domestic Basic Economy leg connecting to a trans-Atlantic Basic Economy ticket will travel under the rules of the international ticket, including the carry-on bag allowance.

Inflight experience: Regardless of whether they are traveling on a Basic Economy fare or a regular Main Cabin fare, all Main Cabin customers will have the same experience, including the same free entertainment, soft drinks, snacks and meals offered today.

Seat assignments: Free seat assignments are made automatically when customers check in. Customers flying trans-Atlantic Basic Economy can purchase a seat assignment at any time.

Tickets: Non-refundable. No same-day flight change or same-day standby. However, the tickets are changeable (for a fee), which is different from domestic Basic Economy where changes are not allowed at all.

Upgrades: Not permitted, regardless of elite status level.”
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 16, 19, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davem4 View Post
Doing my first flight tomorrow.

OLCI open but I haven't clicked through.

My understanding is that Basic fares are filled from back to front, middle seats first.

Once all regular middle seats are taken, do they then move onto window/aisle from the back? Or middle in the more legroom section?
Logically any MCE seat should only be assigned as last resort. But AA's systems are always keeping in with logic and reason. However, given the flights I've been on where MCE is fairly empty while Y is completely full with butts I tend to think middle MCE seats are assigned only after Y is full.
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I wanted to add a data point about my recent experience with baggage fees.
I was travelling GLA-LGW-JFK (BA metal) / JFK-LAX (AA metal) on a Basic Economy ticket issued by BA.
I checked in at JFK for my LAX flight, and to my surprise, I was charged $60 for one piece luggage as I had done some extra shopping in NYC.
Neither my reasoning of a domestic AA sector or BA Gold status availed me any reprieve; I was told very specifically that as a BA Gold travelling on a Basic Economy TATL BA ticket that the BA rules apply, even on the domestic AA sector. I asked if this rule was changed recently, and the check-in agent said they were recently (re)trained.

A bit disappointed, as I have usually gotten flexible AA agents, but seems they're following the rule strictly now, at least at JFK.
potfish and kaffir76 like this.

Last edited by Frayed_Yak; Apr 20, 19 at 3:04 am
Old Apr 20, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Clicked "like" on the above to say thanks for posting rather than liking the content. Am travelling in August on AA codeshare / BA metal. Will be AA sapphire by then so hoping that I'll get a bag or two. Keeping an eye on this thread so please keep posting experiences especially if including non-status companions on the same booking.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
A data point that I am not sure how to interpret myself. I booked a transatlantic basic economy fare from the USA to Spain, with a few domestic flights and the BCN-PHL flight (booked as an IB flight) on the return. Due to a schedule change it wasn't possible to make a connection to a domestic flight in PHL, so I requested rerouting via ORD. To my surprise, I was rebooked into Premium Economy (W) on the BCN-ORD flight: I was able to select premium seats free of charge; the domestic flight allows free seat selection in Main Cabin Extra, but the reservation page on aa.com still says it is basic economy. I wonder if I will be able to check baggage at BCN without an extra charge given that I fly Premium Economy, or is it still Basic Economy in the end and I was just lucky?

Last edited by krzysz; Apr 21, 19 at 4:32 pm
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
I I think the change was luck, but now that it's PE, I think you got a shot at the checked bags.
Old May 14, 19, 9:44 am

Flew BE to SFO with my dad who needed assistance. Leg to SFO had us in MCE in adjacent seats. The return had us separated in normal economy seats. Was able to check bags free since I have status and booked the trip. Boarding was also according to status, although because of the assistance, we were pre-boarded. Good value for sure as it saved us over $100 on a last minute flight.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC
Whats the play on BE when you're an elite (PPro)?

Check in at t-24 or wait for the desk agent at the airport and hope they'll hook you up?
Old May 23, 19, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post

Check in at t-24 or wait for the desk agent at the airport and hope they'll hook you up?
I can't remember if I was able to select a seat (as gold) at t-24 or not. But I do know that that if the flight isn't full, asking the gate agent won't hurt.
Old May 23, 19, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post

Neither. Watch the seat map and check in when no crrappy seats are left to assign...
Old May 27, 19, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
Neither. Watch the seat map and check in when no crrappy seats are left to assign...
How do you check seat map without checking in?

Have a MIA-DCA coming up in June. Since we have to drive from Ft. Lauderdale, park the car at one of those hotels that offer off airport parking, then take a hotel shuttle to MIA - I dont know how to approach this BE check in timing.

Also does elite keep the priority boarding benefit?
Old May 27, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post

Have a MIA-DCA coming up in June. Since we have to drive from Ft. Lauderdale, park the car at one of those hotels that offer off airport parking, then take a hotel shuttle to MIA - I dont know how to approach this BE check in timing.

Don't try to check-in - manage your reservation on the website or app and look at the seat maps there.
joeyE likes this.
Old May 27, 19, 10:55 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP

Yes. And checked baggage allowance.
Old May 28, 19, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go to aa.com and click on Flight Schedules and notifications. Enter in the origination and destination for your day of travel. For your flight click on seat map which will show open seats.
SamirD and ChurnieEls like this.
Old May 28, 19, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Go to aa.com and click on Flight Schedules and notifications. Enter in the origination and destination for your day of travel. For your flight click on seat map which will show open seats.
Thanks! I like this method that does not need to touch the reservation at all.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 28, 19, 2:12 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I can't remember if I was able to select a seat (as gold) at t-24 or not. But I do know that that if the flight isn't full, asking the gate agent won't hurt.
The system clearly prevents the gate agents from moving you from a BE seat to MCE. They get some kind of notice that makes it clear you're in a BE seat and are not allowed to switch.

Search this Thread