Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage
My guess is that these fares will first be rolled out on the routes where AA has been aggressively price-matching Spirit and Frontier. For example, I can buy a one-way ticket for Miami–Newark for a week from now for $54 on AA. That's clearly not sustainable with their cost structure.

If their implementation is anything like Delta's—and it most likely will be as the legacies continue on their quest to become indistinguishable from one another—the premium for a pleasant travel experience will only be $10-$20 or so per flight, and the fare will still be cheaper than what we were paying a few years ago.

If this is the reason you'll be leaving AA... you'll be happier. With the AAdvantage earning changes I became a free agent and now buy whatever best suits my needs for a particular trip. I don't know if elite status is worth it anymore... it certainly isn't for the 87% of AA's passengers to whom these fares are targeted at.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
The big loophole now for baggage is that if you have more than are allowed to check free, you can check it free at the gate. They're always asking for volunteers to check to save overhead space. Suddenly now certain people will get charged? We'll see.

And it says on the AA.com page that elite and credit card holders will be exempt from the "no overhead space available." Can you imagine the DYKWHIA drama that will now be playing out in the aisle where someone is wanting to put something overhead (If there's even any room left) but nobody knows if they're "entitled" to?
The system will prompt the agent to collect the baggage and gate service fees when attempting to gate check bags for a basic economy passenger.

I wouldn't worry too much about the overhead bin. At Spirit, it was never really an issue for passengers to put their personal items in the overhead on the rare occasion that they weren't full.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I have no idea, like others have said, how the attendants will implement this.

Putting that to one side, personally speaking, it will be good for us , but what about folks on a short hop in coach, say from LAX LAS, who are just spending the weekend there. The last thing you want to do is to check your bags.

Assuming the fares will be cheaper, ,... maybe,,
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:31 am

as some others pointed out the early boarding extra time and assistance group will be an interesting process for AA. If they actually police the no rollerboard deal think about what has to happen. They have to bring them over to the desk. Process a payment etc. Do they hold up general boarding until that is all done. On some routes it can be a number of people.

I just can't imagine 9 groups and the clusters around the boarding area with all of this.

What still baffles me is someone with only a personal item or none at all needing to board as quick as possible? Why not wait until the very last second to board. What could possibly be gained?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
From reading the commentary and announcement, some observations:

1. With the denial of a rollerboard for basic, those who previously checked a bag, brought the rollerboard on and had a personal bag, will now have to check that rollerboard as the second bag. More fees for AA.
2. If AA believes that basic is something pax are looking for and it sells inventory at the level they forecast (or better), the higher demand and reduced supply the pricing algorithm may push the other economy buckets higher.
3. Perhaps JonNYC can provide some thoughts on particular routes? If this is targeted toward the leisure travellers, do you think the test is a cross-section of routes, i.e. a few transcons, some Carribean, some hub to hub, some trans-Atlantic?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA
They say "Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers will be allowed to bring one personal item, one rollerboard, and they maintain their current free checked bag allowance." But I couldn't find anywhere which AAdvantage cards are considered "eligible." By putting it that way, it certainly sounds like some AAdvantage cards will be, and some won't.

I happen to have a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard World Elite... which sounds like it would be eligible, but who knows. I also have a Citi AAdvantage Visa signature Gold, that I was planning to ditch in a couple of months since I have the other one now.

Eligible? Not eligible? If they delineated which AAdvantage cards fit which category on the AA site, I missed it. Anyone know?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The fine print at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/basic-economy.jsp lists the flollowing:

**Eligible cards include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTMMastercard®
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTMMastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:18 pm

Do we know what fare codes they'll be using for this? I wonder how hard it'll be to avoid when booking outside of AA.com.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nall
Do we know what fare codes they'll be using for this? I wonder how hard it'll be to avoid when booking outside of AA.com.
B. Supposedly OTAs will be displaying a warning that this is a basic economy fare, but I'm not too optimistic on that front.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
In my experience with DL, E fares (DL's basic economy bucket) are usually around $10-$20 cheaper one way, so $20-$40 cheaper round trip.
That's exactly what I'd expect. Folks here are over-thinking this. The problem for AA, UA and DL is that Spirit and Frontier get to sell these low-ball tickets and then charge folks various fees to "make up the difference" between "normal" fares. The legacies aren't set up to charge these fees. So if AA sells you a $50 ticket, they get 50 bucks. If Spirit sells you a $50 ticket, they're hoping to net $80 (which, from their financials, seems to be what actually happens).

AA is merely trying to recoup this difference so travelers don't get to take advantage of them when AA offers low-ball competitive match fares (there will be no basic-economy in non-Spirit/Frontier markets). But AA doesn't really want to sell you these fares: they're going to try to convince you to "buy up" to a slightly higher fare with the normal amenities. And, from DL's experience, that's what lots of people do -- just like lots of people pay Spirit extra money to bring a carry-on bag and such.

It seems to me that the losers here are the Spirits and Frontiers of the world (who now have a harder time competing against the legacy carriers) and travelers (including myself) who have been buying these ridiculously cheap competitive-match fares and flying "below cost" on the legacies. That's life, of course. Nobody is "entitled" to a dirt cheap fare. AA is just doing what AA should do if they want to remain a profitable business.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by mvoight
Actually, I think the fares will be lower. In looking at the UA and DL fares they seem to match the fares of carriers like Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant, which offer similar add on fees. However, I am curious about why AA isn't going to sell overhead space.
That's what I found so confusing. AA doesn't currently compete with Spirit's fares, and it would be odd to say "we're not introducing any additional discounts" if they were planning to roll out lower fares alongside the BE product. Why wouldn't you lead with "LOWER PRICES!" if that were the case? That's what DL said when they announced their similar program, even if it's ended up just being a stealth upcharge on non-ULCC routes.

In a sense, they are selling overhead space -- they're going to offer you a buy-up to a fare that allows an overhead bag. But overhead space is scarce. Today they end up checking bags for people in the last few boarding groups for free; now they'll be able to charge to gate check bags.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Sucks big time. How will they handle folks with DME? I can't believe, that they could legally deny them bin space for it.
DME doesn't count towards carry-on allowances today, and would continue to not count.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 pm

Looks like the back of the plane will be Spirit Lite.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by dtremit
DME doesn't count towards carry-on allowances today, and would continue to not count.
What's DME? (And I did check the glossary)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by OTD
What's DME? (And I did check the glossary)
DME = Durable Medical Equipment
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I don't think this is going to really change the experience that much, especially for the frequent traveler.
  • I doubt there are bunch of people sitting at home saying "gosh, i've been waiting for a basic airfare so I can take that trip to Nashville to see Aunt Flo. Look what AA now offers, hallelujah! Let's buy those tickets now!"
  • These will be limited to certain routes - I doubt many of the high volume business routes will see these fares
  • Most companies block these fares - so if you're having to book through a site like concur (the devil of travel), you liekly won't have to worry about it
  • I see that as a positive. I have to use concur, and will gladly pay more for my ticket. EQDs count!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Concur already filters out the Spirit and Frontier fares, so hopefully they'll correctly filter BE fares.

We aren't banned from buying them. (Believe it or not, if you want to fly MCI-DTW for a business trip and don't have Delta elite status, you end up weighing the pros/cons of the Spirit nonstop vs. the Chicago connection on AA, UA, or WN.) We just have to go through a few extra hoops to book them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.