Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:14 am

I would also try swapping with those around if just a matter of moving one person. Especially if going from worse to better (middle to window) for the other party.

I also do notice that a significant number of people get stuffed into the back BE seats. Being just aft of the exit rows on a A321, I was able to move myself just before take off to my own row (all 3 seats). In the back, there was barely a free middle seat. Last flight out that afternoon before the red eye for SFO-DFW.

This is the premise of BE I'm afraid. AA is making travel so uncomfortable so that people DO pay to get a better seat. I actually paid for 2 seats for an upcoming March flight because of this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:22 am

I'm going to ask a stupid question and I apologize if it's been answered: If I buy seats at T-48, can I change my seats after then?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dbuckho
We are 2 adults and 2 kids - ages 9 and 2. 3 days after purchase we have been assigned 29 B, C, D, and E. Ideally we would have A-D or C-F, but at least this guarantees we are together. I did call AA Gold desk to see if they could move one of the seats -- not sure either of the folks who get A or F will be happy next to my kids! But the agent was unable to change a seat at this time (and also called her support). She said check back at 48 hours.
B-C-D-E at least spaces everyone out evenly. My wife and I are flying with our six-month-old this weekend as a lap child, and I'm hoping anyone who's assigned to the middle seat between us (assuming we can get an aisle and a window in the same section of 3) is highly motivated to move to another seat after boarding.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:43 pm

Having problems choosing a seat on my ticket, booked a BE ticket and managed to select MCE on the way out but the return wants to charge me? Am OWE do we not get free seat selection anymore? If so how comes I could pick on the way out?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
DEN-CLT one way this weekend. Economy was $565. Did I mention one way?

Basic Economy was...$47.

I don't think I've seen such a huge discount for BE ever. I took the plunge and grabbed it.

Looks like I still can take a carry-on; and as a Plat, I'll still get BG3. The only restriction I see is potentially having to pay for a seat if I don't like what's thrown at me.

Did I mention this one-way in BE is $47 vs. $565 in regular Economy?

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jan 15, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

Basic Economy was...$47.

I don't think I've ever seen such a huge discount for BE ever. I took the plunge and grabbed it.

Looks like I still can take a carry-on; and as a Plat, I'll still get BG3. The only restriction I see is potentially having to pay for a seat if I don't like what's thrown at me.

Mistake fare? Maybe they dropped a zero... Good deal for you in any case.

cheers!
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Man, AA basic economy is really destroying AAdvantage program for me. For the entire schedule, all I see is $30 fees to upgrade from basic economy on SFO-LAX. Paying $60 each RT for the chance to get upgrade on a short flight ruins the appeal of status to me.

For a while, it seemed like BE fares would fluctuate from 0 to $12 to $30 but now it always seems like at least $30 on AA. Does anyone have any data on when AA might reduce/increase non-BE fare?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Basic Economy was...$47.

I don't think I've seen such a huge discount for BE ever. I took the plunge and grabbed it.

Almost worthy of mileage run material - even at 50% EQM earning rate.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Almost worthy of mileage run material - even at 50% EQM earning rate.
Well, mileage runs have gotten much less interesting in an era when you need EQD to go with the EQM.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
I'm going to ask a stupid question and I apologize if it's been answered: If I buy seats at T-48, can I change my seats after then?
It looks like the answer is "yes" - I bought seats at T-48 and have been able to change them.

Also, for some reason, we booked A and C seats and the system is blocking the seat in between us, is that because we're traveling with a lap infant?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3

Basic Economy was...$47.

Fare was widely available for several months last week. Booked last week Monday, flew Friday-Monday for a beautiful weekend away on fresh powder up in the mountains. This pricing behavior is becoming sporadically more common for exCLT routes American has actual competition on.

Most ridiculous example I've seen as of late is CLT-PHL nonstop week of ~$120 roundtrip Basic Economy, $1120 in next lowest published fare. Worst part was Concour rules required taking the $800 connecting flights as Basic Economy isn't allowed for most buisness travelers.

Last edited by firemandan9; Jan 16, 2019 at 7:39 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:59 am

Has anyone confirmed whether BE tix are eligible for LFBUs?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: I completed my first BE trip Saturday. $47, boarding group 3 as a Plat. A321. At check-in, I was given options for $21 "preferred" seats and $63 MCE seats. There weren't many seats available...but 23A was, as "preferred." I grabbed it for $21. So total of $68 to fly in an unlimited legroom exit row seat CLT-DEN on a flight selling for $565 OW in standard economy.

That is one messed up revenue management algorithm you got going there, AA.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Update: I completed my first BE trip Saturday. $47, boarding group 3 as a Plat. A321. At check-in, I was given options for $21 "preferred" seats and $63 MCE seats. There weren't many seats available...but 23A was, as "preferred." I grabbed it for $21. So total of $68 to fly in an unlimited legroom exit row seat CLT-DEN on a flight selling for $565 OW in standard economy.

That is one messed up revenue management algorithm you got going there, AA.
Not messed up. Just recognizing and responding to LCC competition. Happens every day on various routes, especially given LCCs and ULCCs are frequently changing up their routes.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Not messed up. Just recognizing and responding to LCC competition. Happens every day on various routes, especially given LCCs and ULCCs are frequently changing up their routes.
Ok, then one messed up value proposition. For a Plat, there is no way I'm paying 90% more just for the ability to choose an MCE seat at booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.