Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Its odd. I was looking to book a trip for work to TPA the other night. BE fare was $197 r/t and the regular fare was $277. Since this was client development and I'm on a solid platform at my status level, I opted to put the BE fare on hold for 24 hours (which apparently you can do - something I was unaware of).

Went to book it yesterday, and just for kicks, re-ran the the routing just to see if the fare had gone down at all. Same fare popped up - just not BE now. Cancelled the hold and rebooked at regular EQMs and bennies.

Strange.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by PHL
Yes, when you check in the seat is automatically assigned. In my experience with a handful of BE fares, it's usually one of the rear most seats available on the seat map. You can then change seats for a fee, including MCE.

And up until last week, I've been able to get a move up to MCE at the gate for no extra charge. Today, the agent told me the system now tries to collect $$. She showed me as she tried to move me from 14C to 8D a big notice on her screen requesting $$$. In my case, a 1000 mile mid-con trip was $43 additional for an MCE seat on an E175.

Question for Plats on BE fares - have you been able to choose an MCE seat for no charge after checking in at T-24? Or does the BE restriction apply to all elite levels, regardless if it's 1 minute to flight or 24+ hours? I'm 3 segments from earning Plat and would find this of a little bit value when I travel next year on BE fare. I'm still seeing huge differences in BE fares to Main Cabin fares on some trips of $200+. It's usually where there are competing flights from Frontier, etc. on the same date/time frame. When there's no competition, the BE fare is usually only $50-$100 difference from a Main Cabin fare.
Can you simply check in without a seat assignment and let an agent do it at the airport? Understanding if that flight is oversold you may be the one bumped (which might be something you want anyway). Based upon my experience some of the last paxs boarding the plane ended up in a middle MCE. I would assume some are BE for which there are no other seats available.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Came to the site for the same reason -- doing an E145 (maybe closer to 80 minutes) where one seat tends to be like another, and we (traveling with spouse) just carry on one bag apiece. Sounds like the only downsides will be losing 500 EQMs (RT) and not getting the exit row seats. But annoying to have to pay another $100 (RT, 2 persons) for that.
So everything went fine, and I felt that I really did save $100:
  1. I could not get help with better seats as a result of being a Platinum Pro. I was abroad the day before the Basic Economy flight, and got the nice folks in the club to try, at T-30h, but the system wouldn't allow them to override. When I got to the US, at T-22h, I checked in and got auto-assigned perfectly good seats toward the front of the plane. (Perfectly good for an E145.) Plane was full, so couldn't get moved to, say, exit row, which does have more legroom.
  2. Because of status, boarded plane first, got carryons stowed away in limited available overhead space.
  3. On return, got auto-assigned at check-in to two seats together, again toward the front.
All of which is to say, in the special case of an E145, Basic Economy as an elite gives you more or less (mostly less) what you would get anyhow paying the extra bucks for pre-assigned seating.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yah, I see no downside to an E145 or really any aircraft that does not have a center seat - setting aside the fact that you could be in the back of the plane.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:43 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Can you simply check in without a seat assignment and let an agent do it at the airport? Understanding if that flight is oversold you may be the one bumped (which might be something you want anyway). Based upon my experience some of the last paxs boarding the plane ended up in a middle MCE. I would assume some are BE for which there are no other seats available.
Yes, if you check in and there are only MCE seats left you will get one on a BE fare. In my case today, there were a good handful of standard coach seats available when I checked in a little over an hour til flight time so I figured the load was a little light.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Can you simply check in without a seat assignment and let an agent do it at the airport?
It will automatically assign a seat (if available) when you check in. You are best off waiting as long as possible.

This worked out great for me a few weeks ago. Ended up getting a 738 exit row seat (was a middle, but luckily the window ended up being empty).

The caveat being, like you said, if the flight is looking oversold. Then, a last check-in BE fare is probably first to go, at least without status. I believe elites are above non-elites though, regardless of fare.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I don't know if any of you noticed but for some of the markets where the BE to Main Cabin fares are linear (i.e. not simply matching an ULCC fare) AA has been increasing the delta..

Earlier this year it was typically $20 more each way (mainly to variety of markets from PIT), then in the past few months it went up to $25 each way... This week I noticed they increased it to $30 each way.

In the case of this week, BE fare did not change but main cabin is $10 more expensive r/t.

Wondering if anyone else noticed this?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I don't know if any of you noticed but for some of the markets where the BE to Main Cabin fares are linear (i.e. not simply matching an ULCC fare) AA has been increasing the delta..

Earlier this year it was typically $20 more each way (mainly to variety of markets from PIT), then in the past few months it went up to $25 each way... This week I noticed they increased it to $30 each way.

In the case of this week, BE fare did not change but main cabin is $10 more expensive r/t.

I noticed TATL fares have changed too. Seems like it was always a $90 upcharge. Now, looking at summer next year, I saw $135 and $180 upcharges.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy

Noticed as well.

At least I could use that extra EQD to requal for Gold lol.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
[In reply to earlier post re IB ticket allowing seat selection on AA flights]

Same thing on BA. I booked a BCN-USA round trip in mid September with all 4 segments on AA metal. The BA site didn't use the term Basic Economy but warned it didn't include checked bags and charged roughly the same price as AA Basic Economy. It said nothing about seat selection.

When I went on to the manage booking page, it allowed me to select MCE and exit row seats for all segments. I don't whether this is a glitch, or because I have OneWorld status. But it made the fare totally worth the $100 savings.

Last edited by bobovespa; Oct 17, 2018 at 5:10 pm Reason: Add original post for context
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:25 pm

I have a BA ticket (125), and the routing is DFW-BOS (AA); BOS-LHR-ZRH (BA). Basic Economy. I'm able to add my FF for AA on AA's site, and BA on BA's site. So my questions are:

1. Will I still get preferred boarding? On AA and BA, just AA or neither?
2. Where will I earn the miles? AA or BA? I can't imagine it's going to be split?
3. I'd prefer to earn BA miles (ticket was super cheap), and retain AA benefits (credit card holder). Is there a way to do that?

It still seems like there are inconsistencies or glitches around this. Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:27 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
And up until last week, I've been able to get a move up to MCE at the gate for no extra charge. Today, the agent told me the system now tries to collect $$. She showed me as she tried to move me from 14C to 8D a big notice on her screen requesting $$$. In my case, a 1000 mile mid-con trip was $43 additional for an MCE seat on an E175.
I've found after a few weeks that this is inconsistent. Asking to move up to even an exact same kind of coach seat, but just a little closer to the front, will still yield a charge by the gate agent in PHL. I've asked a few times and they all immediately, without even looking at my boarding pass, say there will be a charge. Then they look at the computer and quote the exact price.

At a non-hub AA station, the gate agents seem to do it in a matter of seconds without the system forcing them to do an add/collect. I suspect this practice will be come universal at some point.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:02 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmchris
I have a BA ticket (125), and the routing is DFW-BOS (AA); BOS-LHR-ZRH (BA). Basic Economy. I'm able to add my FF for AA on AA's site, and BA on BA's site. So my questions are:

1. Will I still get preferred boarding? On AA and BA, just AA or neither?
2. Where will I earn the miles? AA or BA? I can't imagine it's going to be split?
3. I'd prefer to earn BA miles (ticket was super cheap), and retain AA benefits (credit card holder). Is there a way to do that?

It still seems like there are inconsistencies or glitches around this. Thanks!
You don't mention what status you have, but if you have One World Ruby or higher in the program that is on your PNR that you check in with, you would still get preferred boarding.

As to putting one FF number in the BA record and a different on in the AA record, that does seem like a glitch. Ultimately, you'll only get benefits and credit for one. I suspect if you check in on the BA site, you will get your BA benefits on AA. And vice versa.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Trying to check in at T24 tonight, online check in kicked it out said had to do it at the airport. Trying to get any seats assigned while seats are open so I tweeted asking why I couldn't online check in and was told seats are assigned at the airport not at online check in for basic fares, I would have to pay for a seat up until airport arrival even if there were available seats. Is this correct? Anyone else run into this?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by mills1090
... Anyone else run into this?
Not me ... HUaCA ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.