Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:36 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by serfty
Upthread, there is the suggestion that elites on B fares avoid checking in online and wait for the airport.

There's more chance that remaining available seating will be better.
Thanks for the tip. I was able to get MCE at the gate without issue. Luckily it wasn't a very full flight. I will keep this strategy in mind for future BE fares I may book. One coming up CLT-PHL I got is $72 versus ~$300 one way. I don't mind sucking up the 1/2 EQS/EQM credit for the huge savings and an upgrade really isn't important on a 10pm <500 mile flight.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:46 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm finding that more and more markets are loaded in with BE fares that cost significantly less, often for 50% or more than, the standard Main Cabin fares. A route I commonly fly that has been $400 +/- $50 with 3-5 week advance booking is now well over $600, but it's also as low as $165 for BE, with $300-$350 being a common BE fare. These are all RT prices on a ~1000 mile trip.

This could have big ramifications for frequent traveler benefits when businesses still require their employees to book the lowest coach fare. Not only will they be often relegated to an undesirable seat at check in, they will also not get any upgrade options, at which point it's a race to book with the cheapest airline.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
My firm has made it clear that BE fares are off limits owing to the inflexibility, the inability to get residual credit for "cancelled" tickets, and the restrictions (currently) on baggage and overheads.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:07 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the overhead restriction is basically gone for all customers after this weekend. But I can understand some companies wanting the slight flexibility (albeit with the change fees) for unused tickets. It's only a matter of time before someone does a long analysis to determine the super cheap BE fares may make the inability to change them moot. For example, Is it worth to buy a $200 BE fare or a $500 MC fare that at least gives a $300 flight credit, but spent $300 more to get that ability? Net zero gain, in that example.

Then there are companies that penny pinch everything and will blindly make the policy - cheapest fare, no matter what.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:05 pm

I haven't flown basic economy yet, so there's one thing I'm not clear on. If I get my free seat assignment at checkin, and I don't like it, as a plat can I choose any other seat for free? Including MCE?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Looks like Basic Economy was expanded on 9/5 to include a bunch of additional locations :-(
  • all Hawaii routes: Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG), Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH)
  • Caribbean routes: St. Maarten (SXM); Bonaire (BON) and Saint Vincent and The Grenadines (SVD)
  • Mexican routes: Ixtap/Zihuatanejo (ZIH), Manzanillo (ZLO), Aguascalientes (AGU), León (BJX), Hermosillo (HMO), Morelia (MLM) and Oaxaca (OAX)
  • Central American routes: Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) and Roatan, Honduras (RTB)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by UserMark
I haven't flown basic economy yet, so there's one thing I'm not clear on. If I get my free seat assignment at checkin, and I don't like it, as a plat can I choose any other seat for free? Including MCE?
You can pick any other seat for a fee, including regular blue seats. An Admirals club AAngel might be able to get you a MCE seat for free within ~45 minutes of departure, but you'd be rolling the dice.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
You can pick any other seat for a fee, including regular blue seats. An Admirals club AAngel might be able to get you a MCE seat for free within ~45 minutes of departure, but you'd be rolling the dice.
For BE passengers that have not purchased a seat, seat selection at online check-in is done automatically, i.e. at random, is that still correct for Europa-USA routes? So there really is no way of influencing seat allocation apart from paying the fee.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had a BE ticket LHR-MIA couple days ago and the system chose a random seat at check in. I did not like it and asked nicly the agent at flagship lounge in LHR. She changed it to MCE for free.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Kristin Leigh Freeborn
I consider when there is Basic Economy fare available, you are basically paying to use your elite benefits. Was trying to find a good fare one way to Boston. The difference in fare is $144. That is $144 in order to get to utilize elite benefits. It hurts when I see $20 or $30. But this $144 difference is ridiculous. American really courting those occasional flyers with the basic economy. I guess repeat customers aren't as profitable anymore? $94 for Basic Economy, $238 for Main Cabin. I would post the image, but I don't have enough posts yet. Just sad and insulting. I chose to purchase neither at this time.
When you have status, it does override some of the limits of BA. And depending on the GA, you may even be able to get seats assigned together, etc as we did.

BE can make a lot of sense when you have status as the fares are usually the same as the other discount carriers like Spirit and Frontier, but because of status (and because the planes themselves don't cut corners like no trays, cushion on the seat, or recline), the value can actually be more.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:01 am

Do we really get to choose(and pay) for seats + get a discount on it, when booking Basic Economy, and use a co-branded credit card to pay for the seat?
Upon checking in thru AA.com, I was asked if I wanted to pay for a seat -- $8 for aisle/window and $7 for middle. I got a window seat (F column) but it only charged me $7
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by PHL
I'm finding that more and more markets are loaded in with BE fares that cost significantly less, often for 50% or more than, the standard Main Cabin fares. A route I commonly fly that has been $400 +/- $50 with 3-5 week advance booking is now well over $600, but it's also as low as $165 for BE, with $300-$350 being a common BE fare. These are all RT prices on a ~1000 mile trip.
Yeah, I've seen this on a couple of routes as well.

Of course, none of AA's competitors are doing this (and the route where I saw the biggest difference was LHR<->JFK, so plenty of competition) so I suspect it can't last very long--I presume lots of people will book away or just go with the BE fare. It's hard to see many people paying such a huge premium for a standard coach fare.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Do BE seats get picked when you check in? ie has anyone looked at the seat map before and after check in and seen that the seat was available then you take it and it shows as taken?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Well the scourge of BE fares is expanding. Now Jet Blue is adding them....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lls-fare-class
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by john398
Do BE seats get picked when you check in? ie has anyone looked at the seat map before and after check in and seen that the seat was available then you take it and it shows as taken?
Yes, when you check in the seat is automatically assigned. In my experience with a handful of BE fares, it's usually one of the rear most seats available on the seat map. You can then change seats for a fee, including MCE.

And up until last week, I've been able to get a move up to MCE at the gate for no extra charge. Today, the agent told me the system now tries to collect $$. She showed me as she tried to move me from 14C to 8D a big notice on her screen requesting $$$. In my case, a 1000 mile mid-con trip was $43 additional for an MCE seat on an E175.

Question for Plats on BE fares - have you been able to choose an MCE seat for no charge after checking in at T-24? Or does the BE restriction apply to all elite levels, regardless if it's 1 minute to flight or 24+ hours? I'm 3 segments from earning Plat and would find this of a little bit value when I travel next year on BE fare. I'm still seeing huge differences in BE fares to Main Cabin fares on some trips of $200+. It's usually where there are competing flights from Frontier, etc. on the same date/time frame. When there's no competition, the BE fare is usually only $50-$100 difference from a Main Cabin fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.