Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

A year ago or so I was upgraded from Y-J on the 77W at the gate (last seat too) and never paid anything extra.
I've had the same for OpUps. However I was wondering if these complimentary upgrades (assuming no oversale in Y) would be charged for the extra APD.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
I've had the same for OpUps. However I was wondering if these complimentary upgrades (assuming no oversale in Y) would be charged for the extra APD.
I wasnt an OpUp I was using a SWU
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

I wasnt an OpUp I was using a SWU
For SWUs ex-LHR I've always been asked for credit card details to collect the APD.

I'm flying AA100 JFK-LHR today. The agent in SFO had no idea about premium economy upgrades. At JFK, the gate AAgent said they need to be requested at check-in. Of course that was not possible at SFO early this morning. Then she said they need to be requested via the Exec Plat line. It's only an hour before departure so I don't think I'm going to bother. Has anyone heard this before? The whole thing seems very disorganized.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:10 pm

I tried calling the Exec Plat line anyway and they've told me there's no such things as upgrades from economy to premium economy. Clear as mud

edit: no upgrade at the gate or on board either. Premium economy looked to be mostly empty . 95% full in economy.

Last edited by cpdc1030; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:11 am Reason: Uodate
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not true. For AA international flights to/from the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, and other various parts of the Americas beyond the US, they have been allowed for a long time.
These are considered domestic routes.
AB Dada likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by cpdc1030
Has anyone had an upgrade Y-> W from LHR? I am just wondering if there was any attempt to collect the extra UK APD, or if AA pays this for pax who get the complimentary upgrade?
Doubtfull they would charge APD. I suspect they would treat it as an operational upgrade?

I flew AA105 last week. Flight was oversold and they upgraded nearly the entire PE cabin to business at the gate, including my family (Plat + 2 Golds). I suspect upgrades to PE were handled at the gate based on status. It was the captains retirement flight so we were welcomed by the firetrucks at JFK. What luck!
econometrics and dciolli like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP / CK June 2018 (4MM - 15 years running) HH Lifetime Diamond
AA80 DFW/LHR on Saturday 5th August-
Booked in W, and confirmed to J via SWU. On boarding- called overhead by name after CK boarding called- and told 'seat reassigned' and handed F seat.

first ever double upgrade.

as to the experience in first- its ok. its in my mind only incremental above J. Probably the least difference between any 2 classes on plane is J to F on 773 to me.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:44 am

My daughter did AA105 LHR-JFK last week (oversold in Y) and was also upgraded from PE to J at the gate.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Checked in for our flight today from DFW to LHR and was offered an upgrade from economy to premium economy for a cost of $0.00. Both of us are Executive Platinum and flying on a very cheap fare through AA Vacations. Does not look like our mileage upgrades will clear since business class is full but we never give up hope until the doors are closed and we take off. Really miss the good old days of receiving 8 SWUs; have had to fly coach or use mileage upgrades.
E55 and allaroundtheworld21 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Data point that comp upgrades are not happening on DFW-Hawaii flights on the 777-200. I asked the GA and she refused. Then she then moved 2 non-revs and their 4 children into the PE cabin (I was hawking the seatmap on FT, and the adult non-revs were wearing AA badges). I'm not complaining though, since the policy only covers international flights.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Nov 21, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Recent success?

Have any EXPs had recent success in upgrading from coach to premium economy on day of travel? I've got flights to LHR next weekend and J is sold out already (will still waitlist for SWU). This is a work trip so can't book J or W in advance.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
Have any EXPs had recent success in upgrading from coach to premium economy on day of travel? I've got flights to LHR next weekend and J is sold out already (will still waitlist for SWU). This is a work trip so can't book J or W in advance.
I can't answer your question but on a related side note please let me know if/when you clear your waitlisted SWU.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
No more advance upgrade to PE

I'm on FLT 104 to LHR now. J booked solid and am first on SWU list. Could not get a premium economy seat in advance, apparently for EXPs it's at the gate now. Better than nothing, I guess!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
Rather than resurrecting a 4-year-old thread, consider using this one with more recent activity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.