Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA - "best airline of the year" (2017, Air Transport World)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA - "best airline of the year" (2017, Air Transport World)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mr. Parker is quoted as saying "It was another phenomenal year for American Airlines, and all the credit goes to our team,” American chairman and CEO Doug Parker said. “Our 120,000 team members completed several crucial integration milestones, launched 67 new routes, took delivery of 115 new aircraft, and much more – all while running a solid operation and taking great care of our customers.”

I'm a bit unsure how they measured the last two, given the inconsistencies and aircraft troubles (e.g. 77W) reported here and elsewhere.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm not sure who or what Air Transport World is but I do know that despite their name they lack anything resembling a clue about airlines and have no credibility in judging them. Domestically DL in 2016 (aside from their 2 day complete CF computer issue) was the top US airline IMO and continues to best UA and AA in service and domestic hard product. But reading the article this isn't even a US only competition, yup AA won airline of the year....and its not just US airlines. Wow. Just wow. The editors of this rag must fly Spirit twice a year and gauge their ratings on that comparison. Etihad won in 2016 and apparently we are supposed to ignore reality and try and convince ourselves that AA in anyway is close to EY in seats, food, service, lounges....anything?. Ohhh they didn't defecate in the bed during a merger...yeah that totally means they win :/

In 2016 I flew many airlines that made AA look like a poorly maintained greyhound including GA, EY, EK, SQ, QR all of which tells me this "award" is the airline version of a participation trophy.

I will say it is nice that AA is giving the employees the PS tickets though, not that many of them deserve it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:09 pm

Maybe AA deserved an award for 2016, but certainly not for 2017. The elite status upgrade process appears to have broken this year - with the advance upgrade windows largely ignored, along with seating preference. They've stopped requiring IDs for active military people boarding at any time, so that anyone can now effectively cheat the boarding order. And the American Eagle carriers appear to have different onboard baggage rules so my travel experience is not seamless.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
I will say it is nice that AA is giving the employees the PS tickets though, not that many of them deserve it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Pasture Pancakes and Dog Pooh Pooh. Coming from the Financial Services industry, a "Stakeholder" is nothing more than a fancy new name for shareholder or bond holder. In other words, someone who has an financial interest in profitability.

PR and marketing rarely has any knowledge of their "product', doesn't use it, and will NEVER actually talk to an end user.

(Sarcasm on): As a Passenger (REVENUE), I am truly looking forward to an even lower upgrade clearance rate going forward, as I must now compete with even more employees (EXPENSE). I know what it says, but my experience is ... different. YMMV. (Sarcasm off)
As a retired CFO who ran the IR and PR departments of a public company, I beg to differ.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cedric
Not sure what was confusing but the article said they were giving them 2 free tickets, NRPS not NRSA, which is a nice thing to do and many of the crew I've encountered last year were reasons why they shouldn't have won.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not sure what was confusing but the article said they were giving them 2 free tickets, NRPS not NRSA, which is a nice thing to do and many of the crew I've encountered last year were reasons why they shouldn't have won.
Will be interested to hear how you extrapolated from your anecdotal experience to the 100,000+ worldwide AA employees.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:39 pm

Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:23 pm

Anyone giving this New American an award for anything beyond participation is [deleted] crazy.

Last edited by 869; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:23 pm Reason: Self-deleted my poor word choice to save my main mods some time
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
What I find hilarious is that this ATW study rated AA the best, yet a WSJ study just released ranked AA at the very bottom. Although I have to agree with a poster from another forum, where is the "thanks" to the employees of Envoy, SkyWest, Piedmont, PSA, Republic, Air Wisconsin, Trans States, ExpressJet, Mesa, and Compass?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Air Transport World: "Airline industry business publication, providing news, statistics and in-depth analysis of issues of concern to airline managers."

Has naught to do with passenger based rating or evaluation. It's an industry magazine.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...-the-year.html

To celebrate, all AA employees being given 2 confirmed roundtrip tickets anywhere in the network (NRPS), upgradable at the airport if inventory exists. Don't worry elites, they will likely be "UPGE" on the PALL list which is lower than all SWU and mileage upgrades. Still, an amazing gesture for its employees! (Unless you're already a managing director and above, which already comes with free PS travel...)
space available of course
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:16 am

I'm not sure who or what Air Transport World is but I do know that despite their name they lack anything resembling a clue about airlines and have no credibility in judging them.
Air Transport World is an airline industry trade magazine. Its readers are mainly managers at airlines, aircraft manufacturers, and other vendors to the airline industry, and financial institutions. For nearly 45 years, Air Transport World has given their "airline of the year" award to the airline with the best management strategy. Air Transport World also gives out other awards every year for things like airline marketing and environmental excellence. Air Transport World's awards are VERY prestigious within the airline industry. When Ansett won an Air Transport World award for marketing strategy, Ansett's then owner Rupert Murdoch flew to New York City to accept the award personally.

One thing to keep in mind: Air Transport World's readers view airlines much differently than Flyer Talk members do. Flyer Talk members care only about how pleasant it is to fly on an airline. Air Transport World's readers care about how profitable an airline is, and whether or not an airline will pay its bills on time. It makes sense that Air Transport World would name AA airline of the year because the merger went smoothly and AA is profitable, because this is what's most important to Air Transport World's readers.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Air Transport World is an airline industry trade magazine. Its readers are mainly managers at airlines, aircraft manufacturers, and other vendors to the airline industry, and financial institutions.
Exactly, which is why I find the outrage in this thread pretty hilarious. What are you all going to do, cancel your nonexistent subscriptions to Air Transport World in protest?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by controller1
As a retired CFO who ran the IR and PR departments of a public company, I beg to differ.
As a(n almost) retired VP-Marketing for: the Venture Capital Arm of an Investment Bank, National Sales Manager for the distribution arm of a Mutual Fund Company, numerous regional/divisional sales management positions, I suspect if you beg to differ, you may be somewhat unique.

In Investment Banking/Financial Services, there is a saying that "Most senior management positions in NYC have a view of the world that stops at the east side of the Hudson River".

To keep this germaine to AA, there are two schools of thought: 1. (Old school) "Take care of your customer, and s/he will take care of you". 2. (Current day) "Bottom line, cost savings, bottom line, spread sheets, etc.".

AA has seemed to move to position #2, and is being recognized for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.