Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Treated horribly by AA - Challenge status duration misinformation

Old Jan 14, 17, 2:49 am
Original Poster

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. Last year I took the Platinum challenge. I specifically asked (multiple times) that if I completed the challenge in July, would my status be good through 2018?. I was reassured that absolutely that was the case. Coincidentally, The Points Guy came out with an article confirming as long as it was after the 1/2 way point status was good through 2018. I paid $180 and commenced flying. All of my flights were strictly to meet the challenge. You are just stating the obvious. When I finally met the challenge, I got an email stating I would have status through 2017. Obviously, I was concerned and called. Once again, I was reassured that I would receive a new Platinum package at the beginning of 2017 good through 2018. The other day I received an email telling m that to extend status through 201828 it would be $899. I was concerned but not overly as I was sure that once I spoke with the AAdvantagr desk and explained everything they would sort this out.

I could not not have been more wrong!

in a nutshell, they said no that it is the date i signed up that determines (even though you don't get status that day). They also said it would have been $240 if I was getting it through 2018. I offered to pay the $60. I also asked them to pull up the conversations as I know they record all conversations. By this time I was speaking to a manager. She actually told me I should have known better despite what the agent had told me.
Yes, you read that correctly. I even asked her to clarify what she was saying and yes, I should have known. I clarified...I said "you're telling me that your in the practice of not standing behind what your employees say? It went on like this for a while. She said, well you took advantage of the benefits. Of course I did. These circular arguments continued until I jumped off. Inasked to speak to her supervisor and she said she didn't have one. What? To add insult to injury she offered me 5000 miles. Clearly, had I known I would have waited until June to start the challenge. Bottom line, no matter what proof I presented it did not matter. Although on a 6 month break from fly a lot and flew American. If they don't make this right, I will avoid American at any cost. I will also be posting anywhere and everywhere making sure nobody else falls into this trap.
Does anyone here have any advice on anything else I can do?

Thanks for reading this long post!
Old Jan 14, 17, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The challenge has always been ( as far as I remember to ) based on the start date of the challenge

Start on or after 16 June 2016 and complete within the 3 months and status would be valid until 31 Jan 2018

Start before 16 June 2016 and complete within the 3 months and status would be valid until 31 Jan 2017

I don't know what you asked or were told, but the validity was as per normal for the challenge
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 17, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The challenge has always been ( as far as I remember to ) based on the start date of the challenge

Start on or after 16 June 2016 and complete within the 3 months and status would be valid until 31 Jan 2018

Start before 16 June 2016 and complete within the 3 months and status would be valid until 31 Jan 2017

I don't know what you asked or were told, but the validity was as per normal for the challenge
Since, AFAIK, there's no actual published rules for the challenge, it seems like whatever someone is told is literally the only controlling factor. AA can't say "our agent made a mistake--you should have read the rules" since the only rules in existence are those provided by the agent.
Old Jan 14, 17, 3:39 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The challenge rules are stated here on FT (and are discussed in several threads). BUT, being an FTer is not a requirement for flying AA and/or taking a challenge, it would probably "nice" if AA emailed a challenger (once they started a challenge) what the rules are.
PS: OP has only 3 posts on FT.
Old Jan 14, 17, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Agreed

i agree that I was told the wrong thing. My real question is if any of you know what I can do. Ow other than what I've already done? I'm especially not okay with the way I was treated. Thank you!
Old Jan 14, 17, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Unless you have hard proof, it's your word against theirs. AA records the conversation, but for how long they keep them, that's another story. Your only recourse is to have them go back to that conversation.

You can post anywhere and everywhere about big bad AA, but won't get anywhere. It won't stop people flying AA. There are so many horrorstories out there about airlines, not just AA, and they are still in business. Spirit has a bad rap, yet they are out there. Good luck.
Old Jan 14, 17, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashase View Post
... If they don't make this right, I will avoid American at any cost. I will also be posting anywhere and everywhere making sure nobody else falls into this trap.
Don't waste your mental energy with this part-- it's meaningless.

As far as actually trying to get this fixed, that'll be tough. And while it doesn't solve anything, I personally don't agree that giving you 5000 miles "add[s] insult to injury"-- that doesn't make any sense to me.
Old Jan 14, 17, 9:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
Unless you have hard proof, it's your word against theirs. AA records the conversation, but for how long they keep them, that's another story. Your only recourse is to have them go back to that conversation.
Plus, it is extremely unlikely that a frontline agent or representative even has access to pull recordings.
Old Jan 14, 17, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
Plus, it is extremely unlikely that a frontline agent or representative even has access to pull recordings.
Zero possibility-- I know you're just being polite
Old Jan 14, 17, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
OP, call a few times before you give up. If the facts are as you describe, you have a good case and a sympathetic agent might be able to fix this for you. Be sure to ask for (and get to) AAdvantage Customer Service. There is no "Miles Desk".
Old Jan 14, 17, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
OP, call a few times before you give up.
Agree there too. Important to call w/o any attitude, threats or pre-existing anger though.
Old Jan 14, 17, 10:31 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Silver
A similar thing happened to Mrs. WJJ about a year and a half ago for a PL challenge. She met the challenge requirements which should have taken her through 2/28/2017. She had an email from AA documenting the challenge and that email clearly stated that if the challenge was met, her PL status would run through 2/2017. However, after successfully completing the challenge, her account continued to show 2/2016 as the end date. Several calls to CS assured her that her end date would be 2017 and they would have to push a manual adjustment through to her account. Then she got the buy up email - so obviously, nothing had been done. So after about a half dozen more calls, it finally got resolved (and I admit that I went through the CK desk to see if they could help my wife since she was ready to give up - which they eventually did by finding someone who could actually push the change through). And this was a case where she had an email confirming the date and CS agreed that she met the challenge and should have a 2/2017 end date. In all, it took about a dozen calls to get it fixed. So I would keep calling and be persistent. BTW, whatever was done by the IT team to fix it did not flow all the way through the rest of the system since she never got her PL cards. But as long as it showed up in her account and reservations, that was all that mattered.
Old Jan 14, 17, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is a difference there - the OP did not start the challenge at a time where the status should have extended for another year, so not an IT issue
anaggie likes this.
Old Jan 14, 17, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat
Did the OP get an email when he signed up for the challenge stating the terms and conditions? I would think that if the date is in the email it would clear things up for everyone.
Old Jan 14, 17, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by flyerguy1975 View Post
Did the OP get an email when he signed up for the challenge stating the terms and conditions? I would think that if the date is in the email it would clear things up for everyone.
AFAIK, the email does not specify the duration of the status.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: