Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Treated horribly by AA - Challenge status duration misinformation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated horribly by AA - Challenge status duration misinformation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Obviously, if AA included the expiration information in an email, the person has no chance, but if the only information was verbal then it would seem to be a feasible case to a small claims court for simple contract breach

I suspect , however, that the email did contain the information and was just ignored/missed by the member
I suspect the contract includes a clause that no employee may waive any part of program rules or contract. Further that absent a written signed permission that nothing else is binding. Lastly verbal statements usually never prevail when their is a written contract.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I suspect the contract includes a clause that no employee may waive any part of program rules or contract. Further that absent a written signed permission that nothing else is binding. Lastly verbal statements usually never prevail when their is a written contract.
*if* expiration information was not provided in writing and the only information provided was verbal, then that is going to be accepted
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
*if* expiration information was not provided in writing and the only information provided was verbal, then that is going to be accepted
Highly doubtful. Usually verbal statements have little or no effect on overriding a written contract. It doesn't need to specifically say a date as long as the contract specifies that the policies govern. If AA sent an email then that would provide a stronger case. Even then I doubt would have much luck.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Note the OP words his post about completing the challenge in July, and nothing about the start date, which was likely before June. I called for a challenge in May and asked for a June start date.

Here's my e-mail I received

"Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® elite status challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through January 2018, please earn 12,500 elite qualifying miles (EQMs) between 06/17/2016 and 09/17/2016. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge. "
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Note the OP words his post about completing the challenge in July, and nothing about the start date, which was likely before June. I called for a challenge in May and asked for a June start date.

Here's my e-mail I received

"Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® elite status challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through January 2018, please earn 12,500 elite qualifying miles (EQMs) between 06/17/2016 and 09/17/2016. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge. "
Already addressed upthread. June 16 is the cutoff date.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Highly doubtful. Usually verbal statements have little or no effect on overriding a written contract.
But there's no written contract to override. AA doesn't publish the rules for the challenge anywhere. It sounds like there's generally some indication of challenge details in e-mails sent by AA, in which case that should probably be the governing document, but it's unclear if OP received such an e-mail.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by vasantn
AFAIK, the email does not specify the duration of the status.
It absolutely does specify as shown by multiple other posters who completed the same challenge.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think OP's issue is that he contends that what he was told over the phone contradicted the email that he received.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Wow

on a whim I checked back in on this thread. I see many responses. My favorite is small claims court. I'm a lawyer and should have thought if that one. My email did specify it was through Jan. 2018. They simply don't care at AA. I did switch to Delta. I switched because I'm treated better and not as some misguided punishment to AA. For me It's about basic decency and professional ethics Interestingly I recently had the opportunity to suggest to a friend,who runs a large business, that's employees fly over a million miles a year combined, to switch to Delta. He did switch and I feel better. Thank you all for your advice.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ashase
on a whim I checked back in on this thread. I see many responses. My favorite is small claims court. I'm a lawyer and should have thought if that one. My email did specify it was through Jan. 2018. They simply don't care at AA. I did switch to Delta. I switched because I'm treated better and not as some misguided punishment to AA. For me It's about basic decency and professional ethics Interestingly I recently had the opportunity to suggest to a friend,who runs a large business, that's employees fly over a million miles a year combined, to switch to Delta. He did switch and I feel better. Thank you all for your advice.
I hope your friend didn't make such a huge business decision based on a call with a telephone rep that appears to have been contrary to a written document. I hope as a lawyer, you'd advise him of the importance of reading documents since individuals make mistakes from time to time. As a counselor, perhaps you'd advise him that issues occur from time to time with vendors and its importantly to not take things personally but rather to focus on the best business decision.

I don't have any particular gripes about Delta's service although their frequent flier program is worse than American and isn't remotely transparent. That being said, if DL works better for you, that's a good thing.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:58 pm
Suspended

...I recently had the opportunity to suggest to a friend,who runs a large business, that's employees fly over a million miles a year combined, to switch to Delta. He did switch and I feel better.
You shouldn't, there's no reason to.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You shouldn't, there's no reason to.
Presumably, there's an economic or scheduling justification for switching. It's hard to believe a large business would make a major switch based on something like OP's experience and say-so. Businesses that act that way seldom remain large businesses.
JonNYC and Gino Troian like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:24 pm

Maybe it's just me, but something seems very fishy here. OP, could you provide a snippet of the original email AA sent you upon being accepted for the Platinum Challenge? Could you also post a snippet of you mileage statement confirming that you've commenced flying post June 15, 2016? You state in the original post that all of your flights were taken strictly to meet the challenge, so it shouldn't be hard to single them out.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sure hope his shareholders don't find out that he makes business decisions based on important metrics such as how his buddies are treated on status matches and the like.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Interestingly I recently had the opportunity to suggest to a friend,who runs a large business, that's employees fly over a million miles a year combined, to switch to Delta. He did switch and I feel better. Thank you all for your advice.
I guess they didn't Know Who You Are. You're the one with the buddy who makes million-dollar business decisions based on hearsay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.