Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed class / cabin fares & purchased ticket issues, question, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Is this a valid thing?
To be precise, on a JFK-LHR-BLR round-trip, can I buy a ticket that is coach for JFK-LHR and biz. for LHR-BLR?
The idea would be to use SWUs on the JFK-LHR legs...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
there is no reson why not, call AA and have them price is out, assuming your going on BA from LHR, I have found some decent roundtrip fares to India.
I was able to get ATL-LHR-BOM round trip to BOM for less than $3000.00
Granted it not BLR, but you find that the biz trip from LHR to BLR might be more money than doing the round trip itself
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

It looks like this ends up as being two distinct tix - as @fotographer points out, it seems to be easier to do it as a single round-trip biz. ticket.
Sigh.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
when are you planning to go?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dieswaytoofast
It looks like this ends up as being two distinct tix - as @fotographer points out, it seems to be easier to do it as a single round-trip biz. ticket.
Sigh.
It may not need to be 2 separate bookings but will consist of 2 fares which allow endonend ticketing

If you book a business class r/t ticket the whole way it may be cheaper
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Is this a valid thing?
To be precise, on a JFK-LHR-BLR round-trip, can I buy a ticket that is coach for JFK-LHR and biz. for LHR-BLR?
The idea would be to use SWUs on the JFK-LHR legs...
Why do you even want to do this? Odds of it being cheaper are very, very low, unless you buy two separate tickets. And the problems with that are obvious (no protection in case of delays, no baggage interlining etc.). Why would the airline sell something like this for cheaper than just all the way business? You run into all sorts of problems, such as clashing of the flexibility of the ticket, clashing of baggage allowance, clashing of lounge access or not etc. If you think about this from the airline PoV it makes no sense to sell mixed tickets and I am not aware of any airline that actively sells these, though I am sure the true FTers will come with plenty exceptions now. As is, combining the fares will require the most flexible Y fare in most cases which is hardly cheaper than business.

Your best bet is to book Y and try and upgrade at the airport when connecting at LHR. However be sure to check if your fare is upgradeable at all.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I had an interesting (to me anyway) experience with a mixed-class purchase recently.

So in my example cheapest business availability on my 4 flights was:
I D I I (no 'I' availability left on second leg, I think next available was probably D)

The 'D' leg bumped up the price of my flight.

So I called and they let me drop the second leg to:
I Y I I, and pay the I return fare

but they refused:

I Y Y I (and I suspect it would save me no money) as there was still 'I' availability on the third leg.

So for my ticket, mixing and matching only really worked in the airline's favour, although I was quite happy to accept Y for a short leg to knock $400 off my airfare.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Why do you even want to do this?
To optimize the RDM/EQM/Cost equation :-)
Seriously tho', choices are
  1. JFK-LHR-BLR : All biz for ~$5K
  2. JFK-LHR-BLR : AA coach to LHR (upgrade w/ SWU), and LHR-BLR in biz for ~$3K
  3. LGA-ORD-DOH-BLR : AA to ORD in coach, and the rest in biz on QR for ~$3K

In the end, it looks like i'm best off doing NYC-ORD-DOH-BLR on QR - for ~$3K, a bit more PainAndSuffering™, but ~10K more RDM& EQM

Thanks all!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To optimize the RDM/EQM/Cost equation :-)
Seriously tho', choices are
  1. JFK-LHR-BLR : All biz for ~$5K
  2. JFK-LHR-BLR : AA coach to LHR (upgrade w/ SWU), and LHR-BLR in biz for ~$3K
  3. LGA-ORD-DOH-BLR : AA to ORD in coach, and the rest in biz on QR for ~$3K

In the end, it looks like i'm best off doing NYC-ORD-DOH-BLR on QR - for ~$3K, a bit more PainAndSuffering™, but ~10K more RDM& EQM

Thanks all!
Would it not be worth spending the extra $300 ish to do 1st from NYC-ORD before the QR flight and avoiding economy for the whole journey?

If paying for business class , would seem the best value out of those options
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Would it not be worth spending the extra $300 ish to do 1st from NYC-ORD before the QR flight and avoiding economy for the whole journey?
D-oh, you're absolutely right.
Good catch, and thanks :-)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Combining 2 AA Bookings

Hi - I would like to book LHR-LAX-LAS then on another day LAS-LAX then another day LAX-LHR.

I'd like the TA flights in J and the domestic in Economy. I can't seem to do this online. Do I make 2 separate bookings, in that case:

- Can I combine 2 separate bookings in case the LHR-LAX flight is delayed for example.
- If I can then do I get J class luggage allowance on the LAX-LAS legs. I'll have checked bags.

Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tuppence
Hi - I would like to book LHR-LAX-LAS then on another day LAS-LAX then another day LAX-LHR.

I'd like the TA flights in J and the domestic in Economy. I can't seem to do this online. Do I make 2 separate bookings, in that case:

- Can I combine 2 separate bookings in case the LHR-LAX flight is delayed for example.
- If I can then do I get J class luggage allowance on the LAX-LAS legs. I'll have checked bags.

Thanks
Is LHR-LAX in J combined with LAX-LAS in Y cheaper than LHR-LAX-LAS in J?

FYI: Southwest Airlines flies LAX-LAS and LAS-LAX several times a day, and offers two free checked bags (up to 22 kg per bag) to all passengers. But you'd have to change terminals at LAX, and bring your bags from one to the other.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
AA.com won't let you mix cabins on a multi-city trip, and last time I called to do it, a couple of years ago, the phone agents couldn't do it either.

Originally Posted by guv1976
FYI: Southwest Airlines flies LAX-LAS and LAS-LAX several times a day, and offers two free checked bags (up to 22 kg per bag) to all passengers. But you'd have to change terminals at LAX, and bring your bags from one to the other.
OP plans an overnight or longer stopover in LAX, so the terminal change is a non-issue. I like the Southwest idea, unless the OP is in desperate need of the extra segment, the few lost miles from not flying AA LAX-LAS will be more than mitigated by the free bags.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by swag
AA.com won't let you mix cabins on a multi-city trip, and last time I called to do it, a couple of years ago, the phone agents couldn't do it either.

OP plans an overnight or longer stopover in LAX, so the terminal change is a non-issue. I like the Southwest idea, unless the OP is in desperate need of the extra segment, the few lost miles from not flying AA LAX-LAS will be more than mitigated by the free bags.
The terminal change is a non-issue on the return, but it sounds like the OP is not planning to stop over in LAX on the outbound.

Also, we don't know whether 22 kg per bag is sufficient, or if the OP needs the higher 32 kg per bag allowance that comes with a J-class ticket.

If 22 kg per bag is sufficient, I would use the multi-city booking engine at aa.com to price a LHR-LAX-LAS//LAX-LHR open-jaw trip, and then go to southwest.com to price the LAS-LAX stand-alone one-way.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EP
You can't book this online but if u call AA then they should be able to book and fare this for you.
Originally Posted by tuppence

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.