Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it time to hoard miles – will their value go up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time to hoard miles – will their value go up?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Due to necessity, I have always been stuck using miles for economy tickets. Here, I see a lot of devaluation.

One prime example is the growing low fare options to Europe or Asia. I am able to get roundtrip, peak summer fares to Europe for under 1k per person. Yes, these fares are BE, but that really creates a poor value for miles redemptions especially when some carriers charge the massive YQ on award tickets.

And still, AA has further reduced saver inventory.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I just bought PHL-SFO First Class RT for 45K miles (50K less 10%) and I think that was a good deal. And it is on the plane with the flatbeds.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue about miles going up or down in value but there are definitely some good uses out there.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
May 1st the miles redemption goes up 10% for those that hold an AA branded card with rebate as this feature goes away as part of another AA "enhancement".
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
O
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I'm not sure where I stand on the issue about miles going up or down in value but there are definitely some good uses out there.
Reminds me about what I heard about DL SkyMiles a lot more before (but less after) people started seeing DL try to charge 200k+ miles for a one-way DL flight.

Hoarding large and growing balances of AA miles at this point is for those who would have trusted the central bank of Zimbabwe to protect the value of the Zimbabwean dollars during the mad Mugabe years. Who’s that mad? Not I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.