Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
New RJ service launching June 2nd:

Dallas-Santa Barbara, California
Phoenix-Redmond, Oregon
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
New RJ service launching June 2nd:

Dallas-Santa Barbara, California
Phoenix-Redmond, Oregon
I figured it was just a matter of time for DFW-SBA. I wonder if BUR-DFW and LGB-DFW will be coming back soon as well. Maybe even SBP-DFW.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I figured it was just a matter of time for DFW-SBA. I wonder if BUR-DFW and LGB-DFW will be coming back soon as well. Maybe even SBP-DFW.
There are still commuter slots at LGB available, right? Couldn't AA make LGB-PHX all RJ flights and start 1-2 daily LGB-DFW flights (not sure if they have 1 or 2 slots at LGB)?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by lakersown81
There are still commuter slots at LGB available, right? Couldn't AA make LGB-PHX all RJ flights and start 1-2 daily LGB-DFW flights (not sure if they have 1 or 2 slots at LGB)?
Yes. According to Cranky Flier, the only commuter slots currently in use are DL's CR7s to SLC, and DL has applied for the newly-available non-commuter slots to upgauge to CR9s (which can't use commuter slots). If/when that happens, there won't be a single commuter slot in use. Either way, commuter slots are there for the taking.

But American could have applied for more non-commuter slots and chose not to.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:28 am

More Haneda flights?

It seems like AA will get some slots to HND later this year. I wonder if AA will fly from DFW/ORD to HND and also wonder if AA will keep LAX-NRT flight. Any rumours out there???
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ashill
Yes. According to Cranky Flier, the only commuter slots currently in use are DL's CR7s to SLC, and DL has applied for the newly-available non-commuter slots to upgauge to CR9s (which can't use commuter slots). If/when that happens, there won't be a single commuter slot in use. Either way, commuter slots are there for the taking.

I think they can apply for those at any time. And there are plenty of unused commuter slots there. The recent bidding and assignment of 9 slots at LGB were newly made available slots for mainline aircraft (or E170s and bigger). IIRC, AA currently hold 5 mainline slots at LGB. However, WN placed a bid for all 9 of the new slots, but only received authority for 4. So perhaps they will decide not to start service there. And thus, those 4 slots will become available.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
More Haneda flights?

There is 1 new slot being awarded. Otherwise, the flights are being retimed to daytime departures from hnd. It remains to see who gets the extra slot. Ha will probably keep their nighttime slot as it benefits their mix of leisure travelers.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
There is 1 new slot being awarded. Otherwise, the flights are being retimed to daytime departures from hnd. It remains to see who gets the extra slot. Ha will probably keep their nighttime slot as it benefits their mix of leisure travelers.
Perhaps you can answer this question...are the landing fees substantially different between NRT and HND?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
To some extent, WN is out of routes to add, much like VX and B6. So WN is adding long-haul routes to PIT, where it never has been very successful.
With Spirit being successful on it's South American routes, wouldn't it make sense for WN to do the same thing? Also lots of talk with WN adding Hawaii flights there is room for them to grow, they have the aircraft to do it..
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by cdgbear
It seems like AA will get some slots to HND later this year. I wonder if AA will fly from DFW/ORD to HND and also wonder if AA will keep LAX-NRT flight. Any rumours out there???
Two more HND flights will be awarded. All current HND slots will become daytime slots even HNL-HND which doesn't necessarily need the daytime slot. Very likely a combination of JFK/EWR/ORD will receive the two new slots with UA/AA/DL fighting over them. As for LAX-NRT, not sure why AA would keep it as LAX-HND will have a similar schedule, especially considering the state of the Japanese economy.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ashill

Wow. I didn't realize they had 5. I wonder if they would do something like 3x daily to DFW on an A319 + 1-2x CRJ7 and 2x CRJ9 or A319 to PHX.

Also... Out of curiosity... Is there enough premium demand to do a morning + PM redeye A321T flight from SNA-JFK? Seems like they could put pressure on UA on the 2-3x EWR service and there's plenty of connectivity out of JFK. Looking at the price of a UA first class flight on SNA-EWR, it's nearly double, sometimes triple, the price of a lie flat out of LAX. The reason of curiosity stems from them seemingly having an extra A321T or two sitting around considering it's being operated on JFK-BOS and JFK-DFW randomly. I know there are weight issues with the A321 and SNA's short runway... But does the A321T have less weight than a normal A321 due to much less PAX?

Last edited by 747kona; Feb 20, 2016 at 10:16 am
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lakersown81
Also... Out of curiosity... Is there enough premium demand to do a morning + PM redeye A321T flight from SNA-JFK? Seems like they could put pressure on UA on the 2-3x EWR service and there's plenty of connectivity out of JFK. Looking at the price of a UA first class flight on SNA-EWR, it's nearly double, sometimes triple, the price of a lie flat out of LAX. The reason of curiosity stems from them seemingly having an extra A321T or two sitting around considering it's being operated on JFK-BOS and JFK-DFW randomly. I know there are weight issues with the A321 and SNA's short runway... But does the A321T have less weight than a normal A321 due to much less PAX?
I don't believe that SNA's runway is long enough for an A321T fueled for NYC, even with the lighter weight of just 102 passengers. 5,700 feet is just too short.

If SNA-JFK were sufficiently lucrative, AA would simply use a 738 or 757; if AA really wanted to best UA's seating, it would be a simple matter to fly the route with a 75L.

Didn't AA fly JFK-SNA/LGB more than a decade ago in a futile competitive effort against B6?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't believe that SNA's runway is long enough for an A321T fueled for NYC, even with the lighter weight of just 102 passengers. 5,700 feet is just too short.

If SNA-JFK were sufficiently lucrative, AA would simply use a 738 or 757; if AA really wanted to best UA's seating, it would be a simple matter to fly the route with a 75L.

Didn't AA fly JFK-SNA/LGB more than a decade ago in a futile competitive effort against B6?
Yes prior 2005 or maybe 2006 AA flew both JFK/LGF and JFK/SNA (and even JFK/PHX) with a 757.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:52 pm

Though I'm going to sound whingey complaining about it, I wish AA would start that long rumored route to South Africa (or barring that, steal SA from Star).

I'm about to book a 12 day trip down there, and though I'd like to stick with OneWorld, the routing options are not very competitive time wise (or price wise either). Having to sit at LHR for 8-ish hours or fly 2500 miles out of the way and connect in DOH strike me as subpar compared to the DL's ATL-JNB or SA's JFK/IAD-JNB direct and nonstop options. OW just lack's anything fast, direct, and competitive to Southern Africa.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
Though I'm going to sound whingey complaining about it, I wish AA would start that long rumored route to South Africa (or barring that, steal SA from Star).

I'm about to book a 12 day trip down there, and though I'd like to stick with OneWorld, the routing options are not very competitive time wise (or price wise either). Having to sit at LHR for 8-ish hours or fly 2500 miles out of the way and connect in DOH strike me as subpar compared to the DL's ATL-JNB or SA's JFK/IAD-JNB direct and nonstop options. OW just lack's anything fast, direct, and competitive to Southern Africa.
Probably won't be considered until AA has enough A350s on hand and is comfortable with how the A350 can takeoff from JNB and make it to MIA nonstop profitably. Scott Kirby did mention MIA-Africa was in the carrier's long term plans but all international expansion for the next few years will be LAX-Asia/Oceania.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.