Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
The one thing that CLT has going for it over ANY other AA hub (or for that matter, probably any other US3 continental US hub) is that it has extremely low LCC/ULCC penetration. There is no NK service at all and F9, WN, and B6 service is minimal.

That is due to the low amounts of O&D, of course. But the good news for AA is that it's at least able to keep the O&D traffic paying high fares.

The end of Advantage fares will help diminish volume at CLT, as fewer travelers will be encouraged to connect at CLT without the big savings as an incentive, and thus CLT won't see quite so many connecting passengers. The endgame? CLT's impressive growth will slow down and will likely track its population and business activity trends. Slower growth is on the horizon at CLT.
Definitely. But it's not going to be an apocalyptic contraction. CLT is very important for AA and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Noticed that ORD-PVD is now on the schedule in April. Not sure when that starts but I am very happy about it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Wow - looks like AA is starting 2x/day SWO-DFW service (Stillwater, OK - home of Oklahoma State University for those of you who live outside of Oklahoma which I imagine is 99% of you reading this post)! Interesting to say the least - wonder how this market will do for them.

Source: http://www.ocolly.com/news/article_b...116c94399.html
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At just 60 miles from OKC and 67 miles from TUL, I'm a little surprised that AA is adding Stillwater. One thing SWO has going for it is that OKC and TUL are on the far side of their respective cities if you're driving from Stillwater, so much less driving thru traffic.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow - looks like AA is starting 2x/day SWO-DFW service (Stillwater, OK - home of Oklahoma State University for those of you who live outside of Oklahoma which I imagine is 99% of you reading this post)! Interesting to say the least - wonder how this market will do for them.

Source: http://www.ocolly.com/news/article_b...116c94399.html
Wow, didn't see this coming.

My first thought: Boone Pickens express? (though I seriously doubt that he flies commercial, perhaps his subordinates?)
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Also LaGuardia-Louisville resumes June 2nd.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_3) AppleWebKit/601.4.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.3 Safari/601.4.4)

My understanding is that AA is still sitting on serveral prime/good JFK departure slots for further international expansion, but are there any thoughts about when/if that will translate to additional international flights from JFK? Delta has really solidified its foothold in NYC the past few years. Do you think that caused AA to rethink its NYC strategy?...How likely is it that AA will resume its own metal service to Japan?

Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
At just 60 miles from OKC and 67 miles from TUL, I'm a little surprised that AA is adding Stillwater. One thing SWO has going for it is that OKC and TUL are on the far side of their respective cities if you're driving from Stillwater, so much less driving thru traffic.
More importantly they are both about 80 miles to the airports. Thats what matters. Typical drive time is 90 mins with traffic.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:04 pm

WN (will) announce LAX-PIT

So WN will start LAX-PIT (seems confirmed; that came out of nowhere).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26201934-post22.html

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/700078643347857408

I know that Parker can fight off WN better than anyone, but is it time to cross off LAX-PIT from the AA route map?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radiowell
I know that Parker can fight off WN better than anyone, but is it time to cross off LAX-PIT from the AA route map?
No, I don't think it's time to write off AA on routes like this.

Los Angeles features tons of O&D, and, on top of that, AA is connecting PIT to SYD, HND, NRT, PVG, PEK and AKL (later this year).

LAX-PIT is almost five hours from boarding to deplaning; that's a very long time to sit in the miserable Southwest (D)evolve seating. For an hour or two, WN isn't torture. But four or five hour flights? Miserable.

Southwest is no longer a low-fare carrier now that its costs are creeping up to AA's costs. It gets worse for WN, however - as it still has another billion dollars plus worth of bad fuel hedges (yet to be settled and paid for) that will help keep WN from undercutting AA on price.

To some extent, WN is out of routes to add, much like VX and B6. So WN is adding long-haul routes to PIT, where it never has been very successful.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
How likely is it that AA will resume its own metal service to Japan?
The Japanese and US governments are currently negotiating daytime slots for US airlines at HND. It is almost certain that AA/JL will use at least one of those slots for a JFK flight, although it is far from certain which airline would fly the route.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
To some extent, WN is out of routes to add, much like VX and B6. So WN is adding long-haul routes to PIT, where it never has been very successful.
Yeah, I'm shocked that WN is even trying this. It's not like LAX-BWI where it is basically a hub-to-hub. Perhaps a generous subsidy from PIT (or Allegheny County, or whatever)?

Will be interesting to see how AA responds (the optimist in me says AA will fight off WN like US did at PHL, the pessimist in me says AA will run away like US did at LAS).
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by radiowell
Will be interesting to see how AA responds (the optimist in me says AA will fight off WN like US did at PHL, the pessimist in me says AA will run away like US did at LAS).
IMO airlines only fight when there is turf to defend. I think AA would not consider LAXPIT to be important enough to defend.

Last edited by DWFI; Feb 18, 2016 at 7:40 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DWFI
IMO airlines only flight when there is turf to defend. I think AA would not consider LAXPIT to be important enough to defend.
AA is still flying LAX-STL despite WN's multiple daily flights on that route. Admittedly STL is stronger for AA than PIT, but still.

Also, airlines generally only start where there is turf to attack .
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by joejones
The Japanese and US governments are currently negotiating daytime slots for US airlines at HND. It is almost certain that AA/JL will use at least one of those slots for a JFK flight, although it is far from certain which airline would fly the route.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL3N15X3TP

This new development goes directly to your question of who will fly these routes... There are now 6 slots, up from 4. I'd imagine the Japanese carriers will want to fly to the US as well. My guess is that all the US carriers end up re-timing their fights, but what happens to the new slots is anyone's guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.