Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA EXP agent sells AA + CX flights: no EQM for CX? (to merge)

AA EXP agent sells AA + CX flights: no EQM for CX? (to merge)

Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Question Please- Did AA Executive Plat Desk lie to me?

Good evening;

I reached Executive Plat for the 1st time in 2016; today I needed to book a flight from PHX to BKK and was having a hard time booking it via google flights so I thought I would call the AA ExP Desk to see if they can help me.

I provided the agent my requested flight #'s.

PHX-LAX via AA
LAX- HKG via AA (Wanted to use SWU and was put on Waitlist)
HKG-BKK via CX

Booked this R/T.

Anyway flight was approx $1450. After he booked the flight for me, I logged in to my AA and CX accounts to choose the seats for the flight.

I noticed that for some reason AA is no longer showing the EQD's and EQMS I would earn? I already booked several flights a few weeks ago and they showed up before, now they're gone?

So I called the ExP Desk to ask how many EQMs and EQD's I would earn; I had an Idea but wanted to see what they calculated.

The agent told me I would earn around 15,500 EQMs. I asked how is that possible? LAX-HKG-BKK alone is 16500, w/o the Phx leg.

She told me that even though I booked via AA, my CX flights do not earn EQMS or EQDs, said since it's a prime flight- That's why.

I asked why wasnt I informed that at time of booking? the agent got really nasty and said "look they are changing rules every day, do you want me cancel this flight and give you a refund"? Valid question but she was really nasty.

I didnt cancel, but wanted to ask has AA always had this rule? I know if I booked a flight with CX and chose their basic fair, i wouldnt receive any miles, but I booked everything with AA.

Thoughts? THanks in advance.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 6, 2017 at 11:51 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: LH HON
Does your CX flight have an AA flight no in your PNR?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Agent is correct, even if her attitude is not.

What matters is the flight number. If the HKG-BKK is under a CX flight number, then it earns based on the rules for CX-marketed flights. Which for most economy fares is 0. Where you booked makes no difference.

Last edited by bse118; Jan 5, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reason: additional detail
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, great website, so much great info. Now I will just cross my fingers that my SWU clears, I know I will have to sweat it out until departure though haha.

Thanks Guys & happy new year.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Out of curiosity, what led you to conclude she was "lying" as opposed to "erring". Very different connotation.

By asking if she "lied", that means you felt from the initiation of the conversation her intent was to deceive you.

Many of us have numerous experiences where these people have been saviors for us. It is a harsh accusation.

Never mind the poor training involved that was reflected afterward.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Thumper
Out of curiosity, what led you to conclude she was "lying" as opposed to "erring". Very different connotation.

By asking if she "lied", that means you felt from the initiation of the conversation her intent was to deceive you.

Many of us have numerous experiences where these people have been saviors for us. It is a harsh accusation.

Never mind the poor training involved that was reflected afterward.
I don't think OP had any of those connotations you mentioned, if you look at the first post. As for that being the thread title it is apt, because it gets more responses and views.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
The agent didn't lie to you, they were probably unaware of the AA earning rates for CX fares and just booked you in the cheapest CX fare bucket they could find. So when they booked they picked the cheapest option for you, not the option that would net you the most miles earned. That being said, HKG-BKK isn't that far so you're not losing out on too much.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
I asked why wasnt I informed that at time of booking?
Did you ask??? Reservations agents exist primarily to...book reservations.

the agent got really nasty
Well if you asked the previous question in the tone that I suspect you did, I might understand why she would snap back.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if the agent made an error which it sounds as if she did not, anybody who uses terms such as "lie" rather than "mistake" tends to get the type of attitude which OP apprently received.

Treat others with respect and they will respect you.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I had a very pleasant conversation and tone with the customer; the term "Lie" was just the title of the thread; I never accused her of lying. I just wanted an idea why I didn't receive EQMS or EQDS for the HKG and BKK Seg.

When she get nasty is when she started to talk about her own company, and how they are changing things every day, she wasn't frustrated at me or my question but yet he company who provides constant change with little to no training. She actually agreed that the book agent should have provided me details on the flight.

Again, I'm new to this and I appreciate your responses, it's a lesson learned going forward to make sure I ask what the booking code is prior to booking.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
I had a very pleasant conversation and tone with the customer; the term "Lie" was just the title of the thread; I never accused her of lying. I just wanted an idea why I didn't receive EQMS or EQDS for the HKG and BKK Seg.
This link is where you want to check. Several of the airline partners have zero EQM earning on the cheapest fares, and others (eg. QF, BA) apply a punitive base miles multiplier for RDM.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

When she get nasty is when she started to talk about her own company, and how they are changing things every day, she wasn't frustrated at me or my question but yet he company who provides constant change with little to no training. She actually agreed that the book agent should have provided me details on the flight.

Again, I'm new to this and I appreciate your responses, it's a lesson learned going forward to make sure I ask what the booking code is prior to booking.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Based on your experience, I think you'd benefit from our members' experience and knowledge base.

In the future, preferably prior to booking, you may wish to check the thread entitled

Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (link)

If you had asked for the AA codeshare operated by CX for HKG-BKK, you'd have gotten that and all EQD / EQM / EQS / RDM as if you had flown AA (or had booked in via AA.com, etc.)

There may have been different pricing (BTW agents are not required to disclose the lowest price flights for your trip unless you request they do so), but you'd have had the choice.

Yes, CX has declined to allow AAdvantage miles earning on all Economy fares other than H, B and Y for years. (Asking for the price if the HKG-BKK flight to be booked in H fare class may have revealed a small price increase.)

You still have these options if you made the booking less than 24 hours ago and are flying more than seven days away.

Have a good trip!

NOTE: We'll merge this into the NEWBIE LOUNGE thread soon. We have also retitled your thread to reflect accuracy, as per our FlyerTalk Rules; we find accurate thread titles encourage on topic replies and reduce off topic chatter and meta talk about possible motives or characterizations.

JDiver, Moderator

Link to the FlyerTalk Rules

4.0 Thread Titles link to this rule

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.