Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CBR, SYD, SFO connection time? CC for warranty coverage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I have an award on hold via QF metal.

On return, I arrive at SYD at 11:30am (SUNSTATE ON BEHALF OF EASTERN) and leave at 1pm - is this enough time to catch the international flight on the same itinerary? I put it on hold - has $150US for the fees and taxes.

AA said that there would be a $150 charge if I cancel it to put the points back - what CC would take care of this fee and potentially cover my belongings? has anyone ever compared side by side? I have
- Sapphire without the annual fee
- Ink biz without the annual fee
- Marriott Premier $85 fee
- AA Bronze card without the annual fee
- Chase IHG with fee

Any other tips?

Update:
What is the use of Expertflyer?

Last edited by sciconf; Jan 5, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sciconf
I have an award on hold via QF metal.

On return, I arrive at SYD at 11:30am (SUNSTATE ON BEHALF OF EASTERN) and leave at 1pm - is this enough time to catch the international flight on the same itinerary? I put it on hold - has $150US for the fees and taxes.
Sunstate / Eastern is 100% Qantas, usually described as QantasLink.
Is the QFlink/Sunstate/Eastern on the same itinerary at the international flight? Or separate flights/tickets? CBR-SYD and SYD-SFO or CBR-SYD-SFO
90 minutes is a risk if separate itinerary (time & checked baggage).

At SYD you need to transfer terminals. That takes time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...nnections.html

QF may not interline checked baggage.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...xceptions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...d-threads.html

If all on one ticket would not expect any problems. Other than delayed CBR-SYD which can happen.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

90 minutes is enough time to connect from T3 to T1 in Sydney. The minimum connection time is quite a bit less than that

Asuuming, as it seems, that this is a single award ticket covering Canberra -> USA, would not be concerned
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

If all on one ticket would not expect any problems. Other than delayed CBR-SYD which can happen.
Yes one award return ticket = one itinerary

It sounds like I am betting on CBR-SYD being on time - but it is the airline that put me on this path.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:54 pm

It sounds like I am betting on CBR-SYD being on time - but it is the airline that put me on this path.
The airline didn't make the booking. There isn't anything much to worry about; 90 minutes is plenty of time to connect
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

When getting there, immigration and customs is at Sydney or CBR? I have 2 hrs (7am to 9am).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will not be a problem. QF will interline checked baggage. At SYD go to gate 15 for the QF transfer bus across to international terminal T1.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:05 pm

When getting there, immigration and customs is at Sydney or CBR? I have 2 hrs (7am to 9am).
Sydney. On arrival into Sydney, you will complete immigration , collect bags and pass through customs. QF then has a check in area in the terminal for the domestic flight

If you have a biometric passport, on arrival use the self service immigration machines and you will be through passport control in no time and 2 hours should be fine

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will not be a problem. QF will interline checked baggage.
You cannot interline bags from QF-QF - that is an online transfer
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Exit Immigration/Customs procedures at SYD, but if you are American (or Aussie, or have an e-passport) you can use the automated smartgates and those never take more than 5 mins. Security another 5-10 at the most, and you should be good. If you are flying in a premium cabin ask QF for an express path card.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

On this CBR->SYD->SFO, with 90 mins connection, do you have any admin stuff to do at SYD, like customs or immigration - or do you do them at CBR?

Last edited by sciconf; Feb 26, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:57 pm

On this 90 mins connection, do you have any admin stuff to do at SYD, like customs or immigration - or do you do them at CBR?
assuming that this is a single ticketed itinerary

If you are flying CBR-SYD-<international destination> , then you will complete formalities at Sydney. On arrival at Sydney domestic, take the airside international connections bus from T3 - this will drop you off landside at T1. You then head to departures where you will pass through passport control and security - bags will be checked through

There is a separate checkin desk at Canberra for passengers with international connections

Now that passport control is self service for most people ( assuming a biometric passport ) , it seems to be pretty quick these days

Just be aware that , although there are no liquid or gel restrictions on the domestic flight, there are restrictions for departures from the international terminal

If this is 2 separately ticketed itineraries, then you will need to collect bags in Sydney, take a bus or train ( own expense ) to the international terminal and then check in afresh there
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

It is a single itinerary.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
assuming that this is a single ticketed itinerary

If you are flying CBR-SYD-<international destination> , then you will complete formalities at Sydney. On arrival at Sydney domestic, take the airside international connections bus from T3 - this will drop you off landside at T1. You then head to departures where you will pass through passport control and security - bags will be checked through
If they drop you off landside at T1, then you have to go through security again? You seems to imply otherwise - then how long does the formalities take?

How long before the SYD->SFO flight they will call for boarding?

What good is " 500-mile upgrade balance" of 4 quantities on such a flight?

Last edited by sciconf; Feb 26, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
You seems to imply otherwise
??

No. No he doesn't. Not even kind of. He expressly states that you'll be dropped off landside and then do security.

None.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:33 pm

It is a single itinerary.

If they drop you off landside at T1, then you have to go through security again? You seems to imply otherwise - then how long does the formalities take?

How long before the SYD->SFO flight they will call for boarding?

I explicitly said that you will have to clear security at T1

The bus departs airside from T3 ( near gate 15 iirc ) and drops off landside at T1

90 minutes should be plenty of time. Boarding would probably start 30 minutes before departure, but as long as you are there before the doors close, which would be about departure time, all is good

Unless things have changed, if you arrive on a Dash 8 service , the arrival gate will be v close to where the bus departs
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @Dave Noble for your contribution

Here is a video of that ride (aiside to landside but maybe the camera was turned off earlier):

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.