Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.

Link to the FlyerGuide American Airlines Wiki
For older posts, please see Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Requalified last evening PHX JFK for 8th consecutive year including stub end of 2011. Due to change in job responsibilities last year, I expected PLT PRO at best. Two trips to Alaska helped in a big way along with a paid J fare to Zurich.

Stats with a few more trips scheduled that will add another 5k EQM.

EQD $17,403
EQM 103,402
EQS. 43

Last edited by george 3; Nov 18, 2017 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by 355F1
Don't forget that once you are EXP you will NO LONGER EARN 500-mile upgrade certs.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way and am now having to move some more of my flying back to DL (Hawaii and Caribbean trips) because my gf will get upgraded with me on DL automatically.

I wish I would have known this before I started getting EXP last year.

I hold top tier status on both AA and DL from all leisure travel but our vacation this month is to Aruba on AA.....which will wipe out all but 2 500-mile certs I have left.

For the record, I think its pretty darn backwards that AA stops issuing 500-mile certs for EXPs. Usually airlines give you MORE benefits with their upper tiers.
I don't think AA is issuing e500 mile certificates to EXPs. I've been "stuck" with 8 ever since crossing the EXP threshold back in August 2016. I'm golden until Jan 2019. My travels will immediately ramp up again come January 2018 and I expect to be EXP for 2019 by July 2018. Guess AA is expecting me to purchase e500's or use SWUs or miles if I'm to upgrade companions. Just might have to look into DL's FF program a little bit more.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Nov 18, 2017 at 5:38 pm Reason: edit wording
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Earlier in the year, I had no idea I would end up requalifying on segments... let alone hit the EQD threshold before hitting either EQMs or segments!

6k EQD & 44k EQM still booked before year's end, along with some non-earning award travel SDF-ORD-HKG//SGN-HKG-ICN.

Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
After the EQD change I thought I was done making status and pretty much stopped going out of my way to "chase" it. Instead, here I am:
EQM: 119,186
EQS: 78
EQD: 12,023
george 3 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
After a few years of trying I finally made it!

So excited to join the ranks and looking forward to burning some SWUs soon!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:15 am

The possibilities are exciting but beware the upgrades are not always granted nor are the SWUs.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I just achieved EXP on Nov. 22 flight to Asia. When I look up my account on AA.com it indicates as I am EXP till Jan. 31, 2019.
My return flight to the U.S. is on Nov. 27. I called AA to have my AAdvantage number reset to reflect my new EXP status on the return flight on Nov. 27.

The AAgent said that although my AAdvantage account reflect my new EXP status, but the reservation system has 3-4 days lag time on recognizing the new status (this is after being put on hold and the AAgent talked with a supervisor). The AAgent said that she kept removing my AAdvantage number form the reservation and re-entering my AAdvntage number but the reservation still shows as PltPro.

The AAgent recommended to call AAdvantage customer service on Monday, November 27 8:00 a.m. (CST) to have my new elite status forced into my reservation. Does this mean AAdvantage Customer Service is closed on Friday, Nov. 24 for Thanksgiving weekend?

Situation is my return flight is on Nov. 27 AA 8496 (JL 4) NRT-JFK departs NRT at 7:40 p.m. Japan time, which is 4:40 a.m. (CDT) on Monday before AAdvantage customer service open.

Question is will I have access to JAL First Class Lounge at NRT on Monday, Nov. 27?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:41 am

Hello. I am 2,302 miles away from becoming EXP for the first time. I'll achieve it this weekend on a trip from LAX-MIA.

Question: I have three more trips in December, including a paid business class ticket from MIA-BZE. Because it's the same calendar year, will those EQMs I've earned after attaining EXP go toward requalifying for next year, or will they be lost Jan. 1?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by martinidrinker
Hello. I am 2,302 miles away from becoming EXP for the first time. I'll achieve it this weekend on a trip from LAX-MIA.

Question: I have three more trips in December, including a paid business class ticket from MIA-BZE. Because it's the same calendar year, will those EQMs I've earned after attaining EXP go toward requalifying for next year, or will they be lost Jan. 1?
Everything will reset on 1/1, there is no carryover
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by martinidrinker

Originally Posted by Zinc_Saucier
Everything will reset on 1/1, there is no carryover
But the EQD from those flights will contribute to your upgrade priority for the 12 month rolling window that follows..
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Came across a first for me — in getting me on the upgrade list when traveling with a companion who did not want to waste stickers (nor did they want mine), an agent apparently completely separated our records for both outbound and return flights. Consequently on the flight home we could not SDFC without my companion paying $75. Ultimately I HUACA’d and got a waiver, but does anyone know a workaround other than buying separate tix to start? This often happens when he hasn’t wanted to put a request in for a longer flight (and I do—ask at the airport to be placed on list and clear into first) but I’ve never had them separate the tickets like this with an issue on the return. Any EXP BKMs?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:32 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kreative03
Came across a first for me — in getting me on the upgrade list when traveling with a companion who did not want to waste stickers (nor did they want mine), an agent apparently completely separated our records for both outbound and return flights. Consequently on the flight home we could not SDFC without my companion paying $75. Ultimately I HUACA’d and got a waiver, but does anyone know a workaround other than buying separate tix to start? This often happens when he hasn’t wanted to put a request in for a longer flight (and I do—ask at the airport to be placed on list and clear into first) but I’ve never had them separate the tickets like this with an issue on the return. Any EXP BKMs?
I had to look up what BKM means

I wonder if you can phone AA (or twitter) and ask that only ONE or the two names be placed on the upgrade list? Presumably you'd add both pax at purchase, then contact AA to have one pax removed from the list. I'm not _sure_ if this works, but it seems worth a try.

Another more risky option: at the airport, if the upgrade comes thru, have one pax refuse it (and ask to be placed back in main cabin). The risk is losing your coach seat assignment.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EP
For the free drink and snack when traveling in economy, how does that work? After you order it do you tell the FA that you're EP and do they verify it?

In terms of free SDFC, are you able to do this online yourself an unlimited number of times prior to departure? I intend to use this benefit heavily and in my experience with SDS it rarely offers the ability to select it online yourself, and when it does, after you pick a time you're unable to pick a new different time and have to ask someone at the airport to do it (phone reservations support doesn't touch SDS).
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by samm
For the free drink and snack when traveling in economy, how does that work? After you order it do you tell the FA that you're EP and do they verify it?

In terms of free SDFC, are you able to do this online yourself an unlimited number of times prior to departure? I intend to use this benefit heavily and in my experience with SDS it rarely offers the ability to select it online yourself, and when it does, after you pick a time you're unable to pick a new different time and have to ask someone at the airport to do it (phone reservations support doesn't touch SDS).
You can DM the Twitter team or call in. My SDFC works online <10% of the time, so I usually use one of the two other routes. You can SDFC multiple times no problem, assuming there is availability.

I'm upgraded almost 100% of the time I fly coach and if not I am usually not drinking or eating (or it's a Shuttle flight with only free beer and wine for everyone). The rare occasions not covered above, the FA usually addresses me by name and asks me what I would like to drink or eat.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
Made it! After years of international travel, I never thought I would qualify on segments but did do it this year with a change of jobs. At least the free drink will be welcomed!

JDiver likes this.

Last edited by indiahoosier; Nov 27, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.