Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority check-in for Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite cardholders

Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps this is a silly question, but here goes:

I'm flying on a short AA domestic flight, then connecting to another OW carrier for an international flight. AA flight is in economy. No AA status anymore (free agent now). With the Citi Executive card, I usually use the Business Class check-in area for domestic AA flights when I fly economy as a benefit of the card, but it excludes international itineraries. If my AA segment is domestic, but then connecting to an international OW partner flight (on one reservation), which check-in line/desk should I use?

Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The priority check-in benefit is not restricted to domestic itineraries:

You may check in at any Business Class check-in position or First Class check-in when Business Class is not available, regardless of the class of service in which you are traveling on American Airlines. (source)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Well, since nobody else has answered, I'll give it a shot even though I cannot claim special knowledge. I'm probably not going to tell you anything you don't know already.

Here is the link to the TOC's for the Executive Card:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...mastercard.jsp

This is the relevant text from the page:

4 Enhanced airport experience
For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM MasterCard® account must be open 7 days prior to travel and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive cardmembers will have the following benefits: priority check-in (where available), priority airport screening (where available), and priority boarding privileges when traveling on domestic flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on domestic flights marketed by American Airlines operated as American Eagle flights by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., PSA Airlines, LLC, Piedmont Airlines, Inc., Air Wisconsin Airline Corp., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Trans States Airlines, LLC. Up to eight (8) customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get priority check-in (where available), priority airport screening (where available), and priority boarding privileges if they are listed in the same reservation. Priority boarding group will only be printed on the boarding pass of the eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmember. You may check in at any Business Class check-in position or First Class check-in when Business Class is not available, regardless of the class of service in which you are traveling on American Airlines. These benefits will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an AA flight number but operated by another airline. Exclusive lanes at security checkpoints are available, subject to TSA approval. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

First, of course, you have to be travelling on an AA ticket, not one from the other OW carrier. You didn't specify which you are doing.

Second, though the text says you can use priority for domestic flights and does not say itineraries, from what I've read elsewhere you are correct and they really apply it to the whole itinerary.

So, what I would do is try to check in online and see if your BP says "Priority." If so, then you are good to go. If not, then you are stuck with the unwashed masses.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Even though the terms and conditions state that the cardholder benefits are for domestic itineraries only, in practice that's only applied to the free checked bag benefit. In my experience, the boarding pass always displays Priority or Group 1 (as applicable) for cardholders regardless of destination/itinerary.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Well, since nobody else has answered, I'll give it a shot even though I cannot claim special knowledge. I'm probably not going to tell you anything you don't know already.

Here is the link to the TOC's for the Executive Card:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...mastercard.jsp

This is the relevant text from the page:

4 Enhanced airport experience
For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM MasterCard® account must be open 7 days prior to travel and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive cardmembers will have the following benefits: priority check-in (where available), priority airport screening (where available), and priority boarding privileges when traveling on domestic flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on domestic flights marketed by American Airlines operated as American Eagle flights by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., PSA Airlines, LLC, Piedmont Airlines, Inc., Air Wisconsin Airline Corp., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Trans States Airlines, LLC. Up to eight (8) customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get priority check-in (where available), priority airport screening (where available), and priority boarding privileges if they are listed in the same reservation. Priority boarding group will only be printed on the boarding pass of the eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmember. You may check in at any Business Class check-in position or First Class check-in when Business Class is not available, regardless of the class of service in which you are traveling on American Airlines. These benefits will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an AA flight number but operated by another airline. Exclusive lanes at security checkpoints are available, subject to TSA approval. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

First, of course, you have to be travelling on an AA ticket, not one from the other OW carrier. You didn't specify which you are doing.

Second, though the text says you can use priority for domestic flights and does not say itineraries, from what I've read elsewhere you are correct and they really apply it to the whole itinerary.

So, what I would do is try to check in online and see if your BP says "Priority." If so, then you are good to go. If not, then you are stuck with the unwashed masses.
I think I may be disqualified based on your first point. My ticket was issued by the other OW carrier (great discounted fare at the time), so it sounds like I should use regular check in.

It is really no big deal. I don't have an ego about these things and will not be on a particular rush on this leisure trip. I just don't want to be one of those seen to be taking advantage/sent away to go stand in yet another line.

Thanks for the responses!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Even though the terms and conditions state that the cardholder benefits are for domestic itineraries only, in practice that's only applied to the free checked bag benefit. In my experience, the boarding pass always displays Priority or Group 1 (as applicable) for cardholders regardless of destination/itinerary.
Another question (not really relevant to my initial inquiry, but just jogged by your response), is there a difference between Priority and Group 1 boarding? When we book economy, I think I usually get "Priority" on my boarding pass with the Citi Exec, whereas my spouse gets Group 1 with the Citi Platinum Select. Is my recollection correct? Is there a difference?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:31 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Another question (not really relevant to my initial inquiry, but just jogged by your response), is there a difference between Priority and Group 1 boarding? When we book economy, I think I usually get "Priority" on my boarding pass with the Citi Exec, whereas my spouse gets Group 1 with the Citi Platinum Select. Is my recollection correct? Is there a difference?
There is, but it's very slight: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp

Group 1 is after Priority.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
I think I may be disqualified based on your first point. My ticket was issued by the other OW carrier (great discounted fare at the time), so it sounds like I should use regular check in.

It is really no big deal. I don't have an ego about these things and will not be on a particular rush on this leisure trip. I just don't want to be one of those seen to be taking advantage/sent away to go stand in yet another line.

Thanks for the responses!
There's nothing in the terms and conditions about requiring an AA-issued ticket; they just say AA-operated flight. I would go ahead and use the business check-in counter, assuming it has a shorter line (which isn't always the case).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ashill
There's nothing in the terms and conditions about requiring an AA-issued ticket; they just say AA-operated flight. I would go ahead and use the business check-in counter, assuming it has a shorter line (which isn't always the case).
From the TOC language cited above:

"...when traveling on domestic flights marketed and operated by American Airlines,..."

The "marketed" means AA-issued ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:42 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
From the TOC language cited above:

"...when traveling on domestic flights marketed and operated by American Airlines,..."

The "marketed" means AA-issued ticket.
From my experience, I thought the term "marketed" simply means that it's the AA flight number (not a codeshare partner's flight number).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
From my experience, I thought the term "marketed" simply means that it's the AA flight number (not a codeshare partner's flight number).
I stand corrected.

After doing a little more research, I think you are probably right. For some reason, I was convinced that "marketed by" meant the airline to which you paid your money. However, as I look through the website, though there is no definitive statement that when a ticket is issued by another carrier but still an AA flight number that means it's not marketed by American.

I did find a number of cases that support your position, such as the FAQ section from the page I cited above, where it says:

On which airlines can I receive an enhanced airport experience?
You can enjoy this benefit on American Airlines, American Eagle® domestic flights. This benefit is not available on codeshare flights booked with an American Airlines flight number but operated by another airline.

Since they could, but do not exclude AA flights using tickets sold by another airline, it implies that these will be included.

My apologies for doubting you!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

I stand corrected.

After doing a little more research, I think you are probably right. For some reason, I was convinced that "marketed by" meant the airline to which you paid your money. However, as I look through the website, though there is no definitive statement that when a ticket is issued by another carrier but still an AA flight number that means it's not marketed by American.

I did find a number of cases that support your position, such as the FAQ section from the page I cited above, where it says:

On which airlines can I receive an enhanced airport experience?
You can enjoy this benefit on American Airlines, American Eagle® domestic flights. This benefit is not available on codeshare flights booked with an American Airlines flight number but operated by another airline.

Since they could, but do not exclude AA flights using tickets sold by another airline, it implies that these will be included.

My apologies for doubting you!
Wow, thank you for all the info. That's why I come here.

I don't often find myself traveling on this type of ticket/itinerary, so just have never had to think about it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
After doing a little more research, I think you are probably right. For some reason, I was convinced that "marketed by" meant the airline to which you paid your money.
The marketing carrier is most definitely the airline whose two-letter prefix precedes the flight number as ticketed. It is not always the same as the ticketing carrier.

The most common case is award tickets: the marketing carrier on award tickets is always the operating carrier, while the ticket is always issued by the airline whose miles you're using. But it is also routine to have multiple marketing carriers on one ticket, particularly for somewhat-complicated itineraries; in those cases, some of the flights are not marketed by the ticketing carrier. It is also sometimes possible to have a paid ticket which consists entirely of flights marketed by an airline other than the ticketing carrier, although that case is less common.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

The first domestic portion on AA most definitely has an AA xxxx number. So it sounds like I should be able to use business class counter.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:45 pm

If I may ask another question here, must the ticket be paid for with the AA Executive card? Or just the AAdvantage number on the reservation/ticket enough?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.