Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swingaling
How recently? Based on that pricing, it sounds like you enrolled last month, right? I enrolled in the challenge on Monday (7/24) and completed it the next day. The cost was $240 w/o status.

I was not given a choice between a Plat and Gold challenge and I'm pretty sure the cost is the same regardless. You should make Plat if you hit 12.5k EQM and 2k EQD.
Just yesterday. Two challenges (or should I say four) were offered. Gold w/o status $140, Gold w/ status $320, Plat w/o status $240, Plat w/ status $540.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Just yesterday. Two challenges (or should I say four) were offered. Gold w/o status $140, Gold w/ status $320, Plat w/o status $240, Plat w/ status $540.
Strange that they didn't give me those options. You should call back and ask about the possibility of upgrading to the Plat challenge. Not sure how this works.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Strange that they didn't give me those options. You should call back and ask about the possibility of upgrading to the Plat challenge. Not sure how this works.
Basically call back when you meet the Plat requirements. Pay $125 to get Plat.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:19 pm
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
May I ask how the 2000 EQD is calculated??

I booked a ~2000usd J class trans-pacific flight, but the inbound and outbound date is 6 months apart. I know I could meet the EQM requirements easily. But will I get enough EQD for the plat. challenge??

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by qsh
May I ask how the 2000 EQD is calculated??

I booked a ~2000usd J class trans-pacific flight, but the inbound and outbound date is 6 months apart. I know I could meet the EQM requirements easily. But will I get enough EQD for the plat. challenge??

Thanks!
Given the challenge period is three months, only the legs you fly within the qualifying period will count. AA will prorate, and it's difficult to say how, as different fare codes, etc. might apply. "It's when you fly, not when you buy" applies.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2017-a.html.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:05 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
Originally Posted by JDiver
Given the challenge period is three months, only the legs you fly within the qualifying period will count. AA will prorate, and it's difficult to say how, as different fare codes, etc. might apply. "It's when you fly, not when you buy" applies.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2017-a.html.
Thanks! I called and checked... they were quite strict on that issue...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
In case anyone is in the same boat someday, I thought I should update: when the EQD for the first leg of my trip posted (meaning that I had met the EQM and EQD thresholds for the challenge), my status was updated to Platinum automatically.

Originally Posted by LutherVP
Thanks. I am most interested in lounge access on the return leg, so I will call AA as you suggest.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:53 am

When I called the agent shared another option not in the wiki. She said it was the Platinum challenge with Gold interim benefits. I had it emailed to me to confirm but I did not take it. Description is confusing to me.

Description: Reverse Challenge Product To Platinum From Gold

Date: 08/17/2017

Amount: $430.00
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Saulinpa
When I called the agent shared another option not in the wiki. She said it was the Platinum challenge with Gold interim benefits. I had it emailed to me to confirm but I did not take it. Description is confusing to me.

Description: Reverse Challenge Product To Platinum From Gold

Date: 08/17/2017

Amount: $430.00
That's interesting. I inquired about a plat challenge yesterday and asked if I did it with interim platinum status would I be charged less that the $540 considering I'm gold this year. She said no. I don't see the above as being any different at the least. Was she wrong?

Another question I have is if the interim status costs show as airfare with AMEX, wondering if I'll get 5x points on cost.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:23 pm

Needing a $27 EQD run out of PHL to complete my Gold challenge, preferably on a weekend. Any ideas?

The best I can see seems to be $80 o/w to Boston.

EQM is obviously not a problem since I'll be having over 25k of them.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Basically call back when you meet the Plat requirements. Pay $125 to get Plat.
I was given this option today also when I called in for a colleague. He'll have a TPAC flight to hit gold and then another r/t in October to put him over the plat mark.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:09 am

If I go with the Plat status challenge, but only do enough EQMs/EQDs for Gold, will I still get Gold?
The way I see it, "buying" plat for 3 months could be worth it for me, though I only expect to hit all the thresholds for gold, unless some extra unplanned travels happen.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by everywhere_dude
If I go with the Plat status challenge, but only do enough EQMs/EQDs for Gold, will I still get Gold?
The way I see it, "buying" plat for 3 months could be worth it for me, though I only expect to hit all the thresholds for gold, unless some extra unplanned travels happen.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Reading the Wikipost and FAQ at the top of the page, I rather suspect not, but it's not definitive (it's not documented AA policy, it's based on experiences, or feedback by members asking AA agents - they are sometimes wrong.

"Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status."
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by everywhere_dude
Looks like no. I signed up for the Platinum without status challenge last month. So far I've exceeded the Gold challenge requirements (US$1000/7000EQM) and still have no status showing.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:47 pm

Two months in with $676 EQD/13,641 EQM flown so far and $375 EQD/12,005 EQM booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.