Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

NOTE: As of April 13:

I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage elite challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.

NOTE: AA is now accepting miles as well as dollars for Challenges, at 10,000 miles per $100.

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone, regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted affinity groups; some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

="3"%Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

="3"%AAdvantage Gold status:Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

="3"%AAdvantage Platinum status: Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019 (same as 2018):

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019):
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $380 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Fees we know so far for Jun-Dec 2019):
  • $140 GOLD challenge without interim status
  • $320 GOLD challenge with Gold interim status
  • $240 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $430 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $540 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Challenge begun on or before 15 June 2019: after successful challenge your earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2020

Challenge begun on or after 16 Jun: after successful challenge earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2021

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

="2"%Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you arent requesting and paying for interim status).

="2"%Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

2019 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2019 earn status good through 31 Jan 2020; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2021. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)
2018 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

="2"%Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas as it is part of the JBA should work

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

="2"%Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) and AY, BA, IB, JL and QF marketed flights you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares, 0.5 on Basic Economy
  • Earning should always be checked on the marketing carriers page on aa.com

For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

="2"%Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

="2"%Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

="2"%Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

="2"%Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

="2"%Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

="2"%Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.
Current policy appears to be that if you sign up for a Platinum Challenge without interim status then you will not be granted gold upon fulfilling the Gold Challenge criteria until after the last day of the Platinum Challenge should you happen to fall short of meeting the Platinum Challenge criteria yet still met the Gold Challenge criteria.

="2"%Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

="2"%Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

="2"%Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well. (However, AA may be getting more liberal about permitting challenges, according to some posts.)

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

LINK to archive of older posts from this thread.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within 18 months after your miles were lost from account inactivity the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PlatAAagain
But, I cannot accurately determine the EQD calculation for the AA flight numbers.
I think I have it.
I created a dummy booking on AA.com for the same route and about the same base fare ($813 vs $807) and I was able to get this info:

So, 1135 plus about 1064, I should have over 2100 EQDs, so that should work.

If I screwed something up here, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
- Plat
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
I'm currently on a PLT challenge with intermediate PLT status. Should I be getting the bonus RDMs associated with PLT status? I've taken two trips, but they both posted with no bonus miles. They were booked before I started the challenge, so that might have been the reason. If that is the case, I assume I should be able to send a note to CS to get the bonus credited.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by branston
I'm currently on a PLT challenge with intermediate PLT status. Should I be getting the bonus RDMs associated with PLT status? I've taken two trips, but they both posted with no bonus miles. They were booked before I started the challenge, so that might have been the reason. If that is the case, I assume I should be able to send a note to CS to get the bonus credited.
Flights booked before a status change will not reflect that change until you call, or until something causes them to be reticketed.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:17 am
Suspended

- If I get a status challenge via Hyatt (as a Hyatt elite), will it provide interim status?

- Is the duration of the match the same as the "regular" non-Hyatt challenge? I currently am OWS via BA, so I assume it'd be best to start the AA challenge after 15 June.

- My impression is the challenge is pretty tough for someone based in mainland Europe. I mean, I can requalify for BAEC Silver (OWS) the regular way for at most EUR 1200. If my back-of-the-envelope math is right, completing the Platinum challenge would cost around EUR 800 or so. Seems like a lot considering challenges typically require you to complete roughly one-fourth of the regular qualification requirments. (The EQD seems to be the relevant hurdle in my case.)

EDIT: I mean, if the challenge is so hard, it may make more sense just to make BA Silver in the short time frame between the end of the tier point collection year and the status downgrade. That would give status for almost two full years.

Last edited by Comatose.Captain; Feb 25, 2020 at 10:25 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
- If I get a status challenge via Hyatt (as a Hyatt elite), will it provide interim status?
- Is the duration of the match the same as the "regular" non-Hyatt challenge? I currently am OWS via BA, so I assume it'd be best to start the AA challenge after 15 June.
What would AA plat (OW Sapphire) do for you that BA Silver(OW Sapphire) would not?
With BA OWS you get lounge access on USA domestic flights
With AA OWS you do not get lounge access on USA domestic flights
Can you meet the AA ffp revenue requirements?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:47 pm
Suspended

I am based in a *A hub. The majority of my flights are on *A. In the past, I've had enough OW flights to make OWS as a secondary status. But it doesn't look as if I'll make it this time. Hence I'm looking in matches to OW.

Not too long ago, I completed the DL challenge. It was easy as pie, all it took was one eco return mainland Europe to LAX with transfers at East Coast or Midwest DL hubs in the lowest booking class.

If the impression I'm getting on the AAdvantage challenge is right, it's considerably harder than the DL challenge. And yeah, the spend requirement is the issue.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:08 pm

Called into today and asked about status challenge for Gold. Was quoted the following:
-$120 for Gold without interim status
-$300 for Gold with interim status
Elected to hold off until June 15th and challenge afterwards. Thanks for great info in this thread.
JDiver and VistaFlyer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:02 pm

I'm currently on a PLT challenge that is scheduled to end on April 30th. Anyone have insight as to whether AA would extend the end date like United has done for their challenges? I'm currently 3,732 EQMs and 361 EQDs from successfully completing the challenge which would have been easy if I had not stopped traveling in February. I'm not sure I want to risk a transcon mileage run even though they are quite cheap right now.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:53 pm

So I email AA Customer Service asking about extending or pausing my current platinum challenge that is schedule to end on April 30th. Here is their response:
I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated
a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage elite
challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly
evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing
environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If
you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date
of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position
to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will
review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this
evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
$306 EQD & 1350 EQM short here.

Expires May 4th.

Even 30 Days I think would see me sneak it in.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Any recent data points about how often AA allows a status challenge within a 5-year period?
Old May 9, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have to PAY for status match???!!

I'm 1K MM on UA, MM on AC, and now am starting a project in CLT which is an AA hub. Is AA the only airline that actually CHARGES for a legit status match??! Crazy... no thanks... I guess you don't want my business. I'll fly UA from YVR to CLT unless somebody can explain why on earth it's seriously worth paying for this status match?
Old May 9, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I'm 1K MM on UA, MM on AC, and now am starting a project in CLT which is an AA hub. Is AA the only airline that actually CHARGES for a legit status match??! Crazy... no thanks... I guess you don't want my business. I'll fly UA from YVR to CLT unless somebody can explain why on earth it's seriously worth paying for this status match?
Pre-COVID, AA offered unpublished matches for free to EXP, their highest tier more generous than UA/DL. You just have to contact them, I imagine theyll be even more eager to give it to you post-COVID.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Pre-COVID, AA offered unpublished matches for free to EXP, their highest tier more generous than UA/DL. You just have to contact them, I imagine theyll be even more eager to give it to you post-COVID.
Never heard of it. Which tier for DL or AC matches to EXP? Does it come with the SWU as well?
Old May 10, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by YVR guy
Because its an AA hub and you'll have a lot of options as an elite if things go awry, $200 is not a big amount of money for a status that'll give you OW Sapphire for the guts of 2 years.

In your case I'd just stay with UA tbh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.