Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

NOTE: As of April 13:

I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage® elite challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.

NOTE: AA is now accepting miles as well as dollars for Challenges, at 10,000 miles per $100.

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone, regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted affinity groups; some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

="3"%Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

="3"%AAdvantage Gold status:Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

="3"%AAdvantage Platinum status: Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019 (same as 2018):

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019):
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $380 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Fees we know so far for Jun-Dec 2019):
  • $140 GOLD challenge without interim status
  • $320 GOLD challenge with Gold interim status
  • $240 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $430 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $540 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Challenge begun on or before 15 June 2019: after successful challenge your earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2020

Challenge begun on or after 16 Jun: after successful challenge earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2021

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

="2"%Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you aren’t requesting and paying for interim status).

="2"%Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

2019 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2019 earn status good through 31 Jan 2020; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2021. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)
2018 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

="2"%Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas as it is part of the JBA should work

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

="2"%Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) and AY, BA, IB, JL and QF marketed flights you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares, 0.5 on Basic Economy
  • Earning should always be checked on the marketing carrier’s page on aa.com

For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

="2"%Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

="2"%Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

="2"%Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

="2"%Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

="2"%Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

="2"%Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.
Current policy appears to be that if you sign up for a Platinum Challenge without interim status then you will not be granted gold upon fulfilling the Gold Challenge criteria until after the last day of the Platinum Challenge should you happen to fall short of meeting the Platinum Challenge criteria yet still met the Gold Challenge criteria.

="2"%Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

="2"%Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

="2"%Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well. (However, AA may be getting more liberal about permitting challenges, according to some posts.)

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

LINK to archive of older posts from this thread.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within 18 months after your miles were lost from account inactivity the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:46 am

Hi all, so I am trying to figure out, I am flying KTM - ORD on June 16.

I'm thinking to sign up for the challenge but if I start it on June 16 will I earn status through 2020? or just till the end of the year?

Also, there is one CX segment of this (KTM-HKG-DFW-ORD), but I purchased the ticket through AA. I messaged them and they said I will get $1,357 EQDs and 21,384 EQMs. I figure all I had to do is maybe buy a first class ticket (and find a way to spend $700, I have $400 AA gift cards so it is fine) for my next 2 domestic flights to hit the EQD threshold and complete the challenge?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by noahsilv
Hi all, so I am trying to figure out, I am flying KTM - ORD on June 16.

I'm thinking to sign up for the challenge but if I start it on June 16 will I earn status through 2020? or just till the end of the year?

Also, there is one CX segment of this (KTM-HKG-DFW-ORD), but I purchased the ticket through AA. I messaged them and they said I will get $1,357 EQDs and 21,384 EQMs. I figure all I had to do is maybe buy a first class ticket (and find a way to spend $700, I have $400 AA gift cards so it is fine) for my next 2 domestic flights to hit the EQD threshold and complete the challenge?
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Fly before 16 June, your challenge-earned status will persist through 31 January 2020. Fly on or after, through 31 January 2021.

Cathay Pacific will not count for earning status on a Challenge. Only JBV partners - AA, AY, BA, IN, JL - and Qantas marketed flights will count for a Challenge.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 20, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:00 am

So to further understand, the Cathay segment won't count but how will they distribute the EQD?
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:06 pm
OFV

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by noahsilv
So to further understand, the Cathay segment won't count but how will they distribute the EQD?

If you call AA, they will break down the EQD per segment.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:47 pm

Challenge info

I called yesterday because last year i was less than 2000 EQMs from getting gold status. I had the buy up offer for $395 but it wasn’t showing up after 1/1. They told me that was still available.

I read about the challenge on here so chit some details. For $100, if I fly 7000 EQMs and spend 1000 EQDs in 90 days, I’d get gold status. I have 3 flights already booked that would leave me 350+ EQD and 70 EQMs short... and I have an unused transportation voucher for $250. So, no doubt I will be able to meet that in 90 days.

If I want to pay $300, I can “advance” the use of the gold status until the challenge is met. So... I’d basically save $95.

Just wanted to share what I learned.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Gold or Plat Challenge

Hello Flyers!

So i contacted AA to check in on gold and/or plat challenges and have a few questions.

How much is the fee to try and complete the challenge for each? And is there a mileage run I could complete, as cheap as possible, to reach that goal in one flight?

Gold Challenge:
Meet the following requirements in a 3 month timeframe after paying the applicable fee:
  • 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
    OR
  • 8 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $1,000 EQDs
Platinum Challenge:
  • 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
    OR
  • 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $2,000 EQDs
Eligible Airlines

American Airlines British Airways Finnair Iberia Japan Airlines
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think you might need to call AA and find out
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Hi Epinz300! This may be merged or deleted, but check this thread for some details https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

I did the plat challenge last year, it was $220 w/o interim plat status; $520 w/ interim plat status

I managed the entire thing on an F ticket DCA->ORH->BOS->NYC->LAX->LAS->DCA for a bit over $2000EQD and just under 12,500 miles. Finished w/ a work trip to TPA. You might be able to accomplish the miles with a J ticket to Asia on two legs, but may be significantly more than 2k EQD
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by kahdgar
Hi Epinz300! This may be merged or deleted, but check this thread for some details https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

I did the plat challenge last year, it was $220 w/o interim plat status; $520 w/ interim plat status

I managed the entire thing on an F ticket DCA->ORH->BOS->NYC->LAX->LAS->DCA for a bit over $2000EQD and just under 12,500 miles. Finished w/ a work trip to TPA. You might be able to accomplish the miles with a J ticket to Asia on two legs, but may be significantly more than 2k EQD
I assume the interim status is only for those 3 months? And once you complete do you get it through the following year too (example, if I complete plat challenge, do i mainain plat status through Jan 2021?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
The interim status would grant you the plat status during the 3mo of the challenge (or up until you successfully complete it), at which point you'd lose it (if you failed) or retain it (if you succeed). If you do the challenge after, I believe june 1? (the details are in the linked thread), and complete, then you'd retain your status through that year and the next. So, if you did it prior to june1 this year I believe you'd retain through Jan 2020, and after june it would be jan 2021. Dont take those dates as gospel though
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
How much do you normally fly in a 3 month time frame? That should be your starting point.

Your question about a mileage run implies you don't "naturally" fly enough EQM in 3 months to meet the challenge requirements, in which case I'm puzzled as to why you would want to do the challenge in the first place. In other words, why do you want the status? If you do not normally fly 8 segments ( = 2 round trips with a connection each way) or 7000 EQM ( = 1 NYLON round trip) in a 3 month time period you will not get much value out of being Gold, for instance. You would do much better to just get an AA branded credit card.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
How much do you normally fly in a 3 month time frame? That should be your starting point.

Your question about a mileage run implies you don't "naturally" fly enough EQM in 3 months to meet the challenge requirements, in which case I'm puzzled as to why you would want to do the challenge in the first place. In other words, why do you want the status? If you do not normally fly 8 segments ( = 2 round trips with a connection each way) or 7000 EQM ( = 1 NYLON round trip) in a 3 month time period you will not get much value out of being Gold, for instance. You would do much better to just get an AA branded credit card.
Should have some business trips coming up, vacations, weddings, etc. Just changed jobs late last year that I did no traveling. Based out of DCA

Last edited by Epinz300; Jan 28, 2019 at 9:04 am Reason: add words
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Epinz300
Should have some business trips coming up, vacations, weddings, etc. Just changed jobs late last year that I did no traveling. Based out of DCA
I guess my suggestion is to wait for those trips to come up and do the challenge then. If you can meet the requirements with travel that you are going to pay for anyway, then it's definitely worthwhile to do the challenge. However, if you need to do a MR to meet the challenge, this will cost at minimum $1000 to meet the EQD requirement. Gold status is not worthless but there is no way you should spend an extra $1000 to get it. Same for Plat/$2000.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
I guess my suggestion is to wait for those trips to come up and do the challenge then. If you can meet the requirements with travel that you are going to pay for anyway, then it's definitely worthwhile to do the challenge. However, if you need to do a MR to meet the challenge, this will cost at minimum $1000 to meet the EQD requirement. Gold status is not worthless but there is no way you should spend an extra $1000 to get it. Same for Plat/$2000.
Fair enough. Was just thinking having the status before would be nice to hopefully snag some upgrades
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Epinz300
I assume the interim status is only for those 3 months? And once you complete do you get it through the following year too (example, if I complete plat challenge, do i mainain plat status through Jan 2021?
We have merged your query into the existing HELP DESK thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.