Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

NOTE: As of April 13:

I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage elite challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.

NOTE: AA is now accepting miles as well as dollars for Challenges, at 10,000 miles per $100.

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone, regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted affinity groups; some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

="3"%Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

="3"%AAdvantage Gold status:Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

="3"%AAdvantage Platinum status: Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019 (same as 2018):

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019):
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $380 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Fees we know so far for Jun-Dec 2019):
  • $140 GOLD challenge without interim status
  • $320 GOLD challenge with Gold interim status
  • $240 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $430 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $540 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Challenge begun on or before 15 June 2019: after successful challenge your earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2020

Challenge begun on or after 16 Jun: after successful challenge earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2021

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

="2"%Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you arent requesting and paying for interim status).

="2"%Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

2019 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2019 earn status good through 31 Jan 2020; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2021. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)
2018 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

="2"%Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas as it is part of the JBA should work

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

="2"%Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) and AY, BA, IB, JL and QF marketed flights you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares, 0.5 on Basic Economy
  • Earning should always be checked on the marketing carriers page on aa.com

For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

="2"%Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

="2"%Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

="2"%Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

="2"%Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

="2"%Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

="2"%Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.
Current policy appears to be that if you sign up for a Platinum Challenge without interim status then you will not be granted gold upon fulfilling the Gold Challenge criteria until after the last day of the Platinum Challenge should you happen to fall short of meeting the Platinum Challenge criteria yet still met the Gold Challenge criteria.

="2"%Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

="2"%Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

="2"%Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well. (However, AA may be getting more liberal about permitting challenges, according to some posts.)

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

LINK to archive of older posts from this thread.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within 18 months after your miles were lost from account inactivity the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Old May 18, 2019, 1:39 pm

I typically earn Gold (5 years running) and expect to earn again in 2019. I am considering the Plat challenge though as I have solid, premium travel starting 23 May for the next 90 days. It is my understanding that Plat will be good until Jan, 2020. My question is, if complete the true requirements for Gold ($3k EQD, 25k EQM) or even Plat, will my status change to Gold (or remain Plat) in Jan 2020 when Plat challenge status expires?
Old May 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Does anyone know whether or not the Platinum challenge gives OW Sapphire status during the challenge period? I have an award flight on BA coming up, and reserving seats will cost $600+. If I can, I'd rather do the status challenge (even though it's unlikely I would complete it) for $480 if it allowed me to select seats for free.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA, United
i'd like to know that as well
Old May 18, 2019, 6:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BCasc
I typically earn Gold (5 years running) and expect to earn again in 2019. I am considering the Plat challenge though as I have solid, premium travel starting 23 May for the next 90 days. It is my understanding that Plat will be good until Jan, 2020. My question is, if complete the true requirements for Gold ($3k EQD, 25k EQM) or even Plat, will my status change to Gold (or remain Plat) in Jan 2020 when Plat challenge status expires?
1) If you can start the Platinum Challenge June 16 or later you will have Platinum status through January 2021. Start before that, through January 2020.

If you earn Gold as well, you’ll drop to Gold 1 Feb 2020.

Originally Posted by mj12g
Does anyone know whether or not the Platinum challenge gives OW Sapphire status during the challenge period? I have an award flight on BA coming up, and reserving seats will cost $600+. If I can, I'd rather do the status challenge (even though it's unlikely I would complete it) for $480 if it allowed me to select seats for free.
If you pay the $480 premium mentioned in the Wikipost at the top of the page for interim Platinum status while you’re presumably trying to succeed at completing the Challenge, you’ll hold Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) during that period of time.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by mellimies
I'll provide an update in a few weeks once next trip is complete.
Shiny new Plat here (at least through 31.1.2020), everything went according to wiki.

Trip was 3 298 EQD / 16 473 EQM, the wonderful estimation tool (https://cwsi.net/calc/aa/) was almost 100 % correct with 16 490 EQM.

Many thanks to mods/wiki maintainers/mileage estimator
JDiver likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mj12g
I’m in the process of an Executive Platinum challenge, and was told by the EXP desk that benefits were only available with AA during the challenge, not with partners.

That being said, maybe it’s different for other status levels.

As such, none of the partner boarding passes display any status whatsoever, only my AAdvantage number.
I’ve just checked in to a domestic JL flight in Economy, bags weren’t tagged as priority, and I was told I had no access to their domestic lounge at KIX.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:56 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Thanks for the information. I think I will pony up for my first PLT challenge because the rev requirement prevents me from qualifying normally. My first trip will be JFK-LHR-IAH-LAX so that already puts me 1/2 way to goal.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:38 pm

Wow thanks for the info - you potentially just saved me $480. I unfortunately think I'll just have to pay BA's ridiculous seat selection fees.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Repercussions of comp offer prior to challenge?

I had in mind to do a platinum status challenge this Nov when a RT to AKL in J should be enough by itself to qualify. AA just sent me an unsolicited offer of free gold from now until Sept. Would accepting the gold offer complicate or disqualify the challenge in Nov?

Im mostly considering the offer (which has no special goal or offer to retain gold) for the free ten 500-mile upgrades, which Im hoping would remain on my acct after losing gold in Sept but be usable again after satisfying the platinum challenge in Nov.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:37 am

So I'm flying KTM-ORD in R on June 16 of all things. Looks like I'm gonna get 24k EQM but EQD is up in the air because I got a CX segment (though ticketed with AA) Any good options to get the remaining EQD? I think I'll get about 1400 if the cx segment counts. Or should I just do gold status?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PlatinumPro- Delta Platinum- Hilton Diamond- Mariott Titanium
I called into AA desk to get the Platinum Challege started and the agent to me it would be until Jan 2021. The information on here stated I should challege on/after Jun16 to get it extended to Jan 2021?

i am planning to travel from Las->NRT that should cover the Platinum Challenge.
i accepted the challenge on 6/7. Should I get it change to 6/16?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Anh5oi
I called into AA desk to get the Platinum Challege started and the agent to me it would be until Jan 2021. The information on here stated I should challege on/after Jun16 to get it extended to Jan 2021?

i am planning to travel from Las->NRT that should cover the Platinum Challenge.
i accepted the challenge on 6/7. Should I get it change to 6/16?
Unless you can secure it on writing that a challenge begun 7 June will get you status through January 2021, Id definitely reschedule.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Does anyone know if they can get the interim status to start earlier? Asking for someone who has travel that starts on June 14, but will start with the June 15+ challenge
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

The interim status starts when the challenge starts.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
The interim status starts when the challenge starts.
bummer. thanks for letting me know!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.