Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW Priority Check-in - Must show boarding pass or elite card to enter as of 1/1/17

DFW Priority Check-in - Must show boarding pass or elite card to enter as of 1/1/17

Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
no need to feel guilty. If questioned, just respond that you are with the Financial Support Division of the military (ie, taxpayer).
Agreed. And I suppose, depending on your age and the severity of the crisis, a potential conscript!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
So they want u to show them a BP? And you are going to the agent to get ur BP? Has AA lost it's freakin mind?
Ok I take back what I said earlier, this is exactly how I feel.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Phasers
Isn't that what the ticket agents are there for? If you get to the counter and you don't qualify for that line, they send you to the correct line.

I've always assumed the red-shirts are there to make sure you know which line you are getting into- not to be line control Nazis.

You cannot always bring evidence of 'entitlement'. In my case my family was non-members and were in J because I upgraded them with SWUs. We should not have to print out updated itineraries just because red-shirts decide to go on a power trip. Like I said, if I'm in the wrong line I fully expect to be sent to the back of the correct line.
I thought the ticket agents were there to handle ticketing issues

I suspect the "red-shirts" were directed by AA to verify people were entitled to use those lines. I see no difference between that and the contract people who check to see if you are in the right TSA line.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
I suspect the "red-shirts" were directed by AA to verify people were entitled to use those lines. I see no difference between that and the contract people who check to see if you are in the right TSA line.
The difference ... as noted already ... is that for the TSA checks you already have your boarding pass which contain all the info to note which TSA line is correct for you. Folks entering the ticketing queues are often doing so specifically to obtain said boarding pass and may not yet have proof of any type of "Priority Access".

And to the point in my posts ... 3 times now ... while entering a "priority" check-in area, I have not been challenged as to if I'm entitled to the area (I always have my EXP card in hand to immediately indicate this) but rather if I'm entering the area as "First Class" vs "Priority". I've never had a TSA Agt ask if I have "Pre-Check" due to entering the Pre-Check program vs the Global Entry program
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by steve64
The difference ... as noted already ... is that for the TSA checks you already have your boarding pass which contain all the info to note which TSA line is correct for you. Folks entering the ticketing queues are often doing so specifically to obtain said boarding pass and may not yet have proof of any type of "Priority Access".
Only if the person has no ticket is the person likely without any proof

The ticket receipt will show class of travel for entitlement that way
A FF membership card can show entitlement via status

For those eligible to use the premium check in facilities, having someone ensuring that only those entited to use it, use it seems a benefit rather than another thing to howl about
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Only if the person has no ticket is the person likely without any proof

The ticket receipt will show class of travel for entitlement that way
A FF membership card can show entitlement via status

For those eligible to use the premium check in facilities, having someone ensuring that only those entited to use it, use it seems a benefit rather than another thing to howl about
And how many times have you printed off a ticket receipt before heading out to the airport. Airlines have trained us that we only need to show up with ID and preferably a PNR/confirmation number but at least minimal knowledge about the flight we're checking in for.

If you read my posts ... my FF membership card was not enough to pass the challenge on 2 recent events that I've posted about (and one other I haven't posted about). On each occasion, I was questioned as to being "First" vs "Priority" despite my EXP card being clearly shown.

Your reply (as most of your replies) speak to the logical truth. What we're discussing here is the physical truth that some of us have experienced very recently. The physical truth defying the logical truth is probably the reason for this thread's existence.
Myself, I wrote my 3 experiences within as many weeks as just a coincidence of over zealous line checkers. I found it interesting that someone else has experienced something similar and having said checker claiming it's a new policy.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA exp Hilton , ING
Nothing surprises me anymore while flying with AA. I also have had these problems with the red jacket workers. I've expressed my opinions many times to these people.

Last month while checking in at JFK. ( use to have a very nice buz-first check in now gone) now has been changed. Had a 1st ticket on a 321T and was denied entry. Even being EXP.
I pushed my way through. Complained to the agent. Oh sorry sir. There just hired help..

I've had the same problems in Bos, Dfw, Mia etc.. it's a training issue....
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by steve64
And how many times have you printed off a ticket receipt before heading out to the airport. Airlines have trained us that we only need to show up with ID and preferably a PNR/confirmation number but at least minimal knowledge about the flight we're checking in for.
Pretty much every time since if there is an issue, it is the most useful thing to have
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Pretty much every time since if there is an issue, it is the most useful thing to have
You don't find this whole thing even the slightest bit ridiculous?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 75k
+1
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bosnflte
Last month while checking in at JFK. ( use to have a very nice buz-first check in now gone) now has been changed. Had a 1st ticket on a 321T and was denied entry. Even being EXP.
I pushed my way through. Complained to the agent. Oh sorry sir. There just hired help..
A first class ticket on the 321T entitles you to use Flagship check-in. Unless you were just on one of the random JFK-BOS flights they use this aircraft for sometimes, in which case I'm not sure why it was even relevant to mention the 321T.

The current J/F check-in leaves a bit to be desired, it doesn't feel premium at all, but they really do need the agents "guarding" the line. So many clueless passengers just can't read a sign. I think it's reasonable to ask for credentials up front, but certainly a printed boarding pass shouldn't be required, any form of itinerary showing premium class travel, even electronic, should work.
And yes, the agents should refuse service to someone who isn't eligible, but I think they need to gatekeep to make sure pax don't inadvertently get in the wrong line.

But keep in mind this isn't just an AA thing... 80+ posts about what happens when you give lip to the linekeeper at CDG.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...cking-cdg.html
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Emerald Club
Get this regularly now at DFW.
Terminal A and D.

I understand you need some measure to keep nonElites/Fs from using it, but it is insulting above all else when you get agents assuming you

-are a nonElite/F
-don't understand what the line is for
-don't realize you don't keep your AA card/boarding pass on you always

This would not be an issue had my mobile boarding pass loaded correctly or my flights were not rescheduled.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I think this is AA making a concerted effort to keep non-elites and non-first class out of the priority/first class lines. We've all seen both clueless kettles try to access the lines by mistake as well as the shady types who know they don't have access but try it anyways. I'm sure AA is doing this because so many elite/first customers complain when non-priority passengers are in front of them in line and check 20 bags, thus causing longer waits.

I think the people who are getting offended/insulted/irate they are being asked for proof need to relax a bit. AA is not trying to personally slight you, they are trying to make your wait time less. Sure, having the paper proof can be an annoyance for some, but this seems to be the new norm.

I do agree the training the big red enforcers have is pathetic at best. They seem to have zero real comprehension of what priority or premium means, and how the one person can be both. If AA is going to go through the trouble to make this a point of emphasis, they need to train these people better!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Are you surprised? If yes, read any of his other posts on just about any topic and you'll see this is just par for the course.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:47 pm

This thread stressed me out and pissed me off. And my family wonders why I insist that we go with carry-on only, even for week long trips. Anything to avoid any possible human interaction...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.