Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boarding pass scanning: OK if a beep and a red light?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

When your boarding pass is scanned correctly and there are no issues, is the sign that everything's OK (and your miles will post) a beep and a green light by the scanner, or is a beep and a red light (or something else) OK?

I keep having issues with miles not posting, and I'm trying to figure out how to spot an issue when it first happens.

Thanks.

Lengthy explanation of the issue (if interested)

I took 2 flights yesterday. At the ticket counter before the first flight, I was added to the standby list for a flight that would have replaced the second flight, after lots and lots of typing.

Something must have happened to my ticket, since (1) the home printout of my boarding pass did not work when I scanned it at the boarding pass check before going through security (although the mobile boarding pass worked fine), (2) when I boarded the first flight, a beep and a red light appeared when I scanned my mobile boarding pass and (3) after the first flight, I tried to reprint the original second flight's boarding pass from a kiosk and an error message appeared. The miles have not posted and when I try to call up the reservation using the record locator, an error message also appears.

However, the Admirals Club agent was able to print my boarding pass for the original second flight without a problem, and even though the standby list for the replacement second flight didn't appear on my phone via the AA app, I appeared on the standby list at the gate and cleared with no problem.

Something clearly went wrong here, but I'm not sure what.

Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The red light just is to alert the agent that the system is saying something unusual happened. It could be your seat changed, that you already were "boarded", that you're not on that flight, etc. It is just a means to alert agent to look at the message on the screen. Ie I got a red light last week. I had my BP for J scanned. I asked agent if I had been upgraded, she said no processed it, and gave me a new BP. She then scanned the new BP. It went read and alarmed not to board me, since the system already saw me as having boarded. No issues with posting.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:02 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You'll also get a red light when seated in the exit row. They then usually will ask you if you are willing and able to assist. Miles always manage to post when seated in the exit row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.