Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (2016 onwards)

Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Are you adding your KTN but not getting PreCheck? You can ask the TSA to tell you why! Search for "AskTSA" on Twitter or Facebook and send them a private message, they can look up your record number and tell you what the issue was.
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs
You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
  • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
  • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
  • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
  • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works
In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS
Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.
Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)
See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.
Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?
If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.
Known issues:
  • Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program
  • TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice
  • TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening
  • TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements
  • If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information

For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (2016 onwards)

Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jdw0624
AA says they have my trusted traveler information so PreCheck should be appearing on my mobile boarding pass. It always has in the past. My spouse is flying tomorrow as well but on different flights to the same destination. He has the same situation. Seems odd. I am aware of random TSA PreCheck searches but my understanding is the PreCheck is still on the boarding the pass and it's determined at the time when the boarding pass is scanned. Apple released an IOS update yesterday so I'm wondering if something is wrong again with their app. Anyone else have issues today?
Have you tried doing OLCI via regular web and emailing the BP to you? If PRE does not shows, then maybe this is a random occurrence. If you get pre, then print out the BP and use it. I can't comment on whether the new IOS may have messed things up, but you certainly have other avenues to try and check. My BP is showing PRE, on Apple, and Android as well.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
We flew SAN-MIA-MBJ just before Xmas, I did not receive precheck. Told that the TSA is randomly holding it back, there is another thread somewhere with further details.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA says they have my trusted traveler information so PreCheck should be appearing on my mobile boarding pass. It always has in the past. My spouse is flying tomorrow as well but on different flights to the same destination. He has the same situation. Seems odd. I am aware of random TSA PreCheck searches but my understanding is the PreCheck is still on the boarding the pass and it's determined at the time when the boarding pass is scanned. Apple released an IOS update yesterday so I'm wondering if something is wrong again with their app. Anyone else have issues today?
PreCheck is not guaranteed to be on the BP 100 percent of the time, even if you are a member of one of the trusted programs.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
PreCheck is not guaranteed to be on the BP 100 percent of the time, even if you are a member of one of the trusted programs.
This. I wouldn't count on having Pre-Check tomorrow, especially if you normally factor the quicker TSA-Pre line into your airport arrival times.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Apple released an IOS update yesterday so I'm wondering if something is wrong again with their app. Anyone else have issues today?
It's hard for me to imagine an iOS update (rather than an update to the AA app) bug that could cause a boarding pass to be produced and added to Passbook/Wallet but without pre check status. Much, much more likely to be some other cause such as the ones others have mentioned.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Exec Platinum
Four days ago, Iphone boarding showed no Tsa Precheck. if Printed a boarding pass then appeared.

my two cents
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, try printing the BP. If the Pre-Check symbol appears on the paper BP, this has to do with your mobile BP, you will have an answer and can resolve that later.

Second, double check that the name in your AA profile matches the name under your KTN exactly (down to extra punctuation and spaces). Reportedly, TSA and air carrier matches are better/tougher and if there is a mis-match that means no Pre-Check.

Third, remove your KTN and re-enter it. Or call AA and have them do it for you. Log out and then log back in. See if Pre-Check reappears.

Fourth, try again at the airport.

Fifth, as others note, Pre-Check does have random de-selection and it's just not your day. The purpose of the symbol is to give you time to allow for going through the regular line. I've had 100% success with GE as have most people I know, so it's just your unlucky day if you get to this point.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum
TSA precheck

Of course I did not have pre check today. I asked the ticket agent what was up. He said that the CPB systems are not taking to TSA since Jnauary 1 2016. I stopped in he precheck office at SAN and they confirmed. All trusted travelers-Global Entry. nexus or Sentri are not getting precheck because of a system linkage issue. Just crazy.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Of course I did not have pre check today. I asked the ticket agent what was up. He said that the CPB systems are not taking to TSA since Jnauary 1 2016. I stopped in he precheck office at SAN and they confirmed. All trusted travelers-Global Entry. nexus or Sentri are not getting precheck because of a system linkage issue. Just crazy.
I've had precheck for 4 trips since Jan 1. Including the one I just checked in for today. So I call BS.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nonsense. I've gotten it on a mobile BP on both AA and Hawaiian since Jan 1 (Android) and the husband has gotten in on iOS. We both have GE.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is not true. I've had Pre Check on my boarding passes (App and paper) on all my flights since January 1st.

I get Pre Check through Global Entry.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Total b.s.

Everybody's got a made up story to get people off their back. If you fall for it, you really ought to have your GE revoked !
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HIlton Gold
Originally Posted by fordan
I had this problem and it ended up being that my passport and thus my Global Entry had my middle name while my FF account (and therefore my tickets) did not. Fixed that and it started working.

So as Majuki said, check your info and make sure it exactly matches up.
I will certainly be looking into this, thanks. Will post an update if this helps out. I suspect the middle name versus middle initial.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlcomm

I've heard that you can leave TSA a review on Yelp... anyone tried it?

Never have, and not sure how much difference it would make. However, the fact that Pre is closed at any time at JFK is completely absurd and really sub-standard. But I guess that's what you get with the TSA
It probably wouldn't make any difference but laying a one-star review on them would make me feel a little better!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5-Star, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BThumme
I've had precheck for 4 trips since Jan 1. Including the one I just checked in for today. So I call BS.
Concur. 3 trips for me since Jan 1, haven't had any problems...with either Global Entry or Pre-Check...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.