Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
I am certain this has been covered but I am overwhelmed with information after being on the forum for a couple of hours now. I'm from the UK doing a TP in January. Most of the advice seems to be about flying and connecting into the US but my question is about going home (ie leaving the US).

I'm flying AA Business class LAX-JFK (overnight arr 7.00am) [into T8]. I then fly later that day (8pm) with BA JFX-LHR (assume T7) again in Business. [I also have BA Silver/OWE status]

I would really like to do a Manhattan run (just because I can, as I have been to NYC a few times. So I have two questions

1. Can I get a shower? Can I get into the FL lounge on arrival (given I have an international same day connection business flight)?
2, What happens to my checked in bags? Will they be checked straight through to LHR ?
Thanks all
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
So with B6 taking over T5-T7 as awarded by NYPA and BA having a lease on T7 until 2022, what are the odds that BA will shift to T8 and they will finish the original build out. I doubt the two wings off the Main Terminal close to the road will never get finished, but maybe the gates to the right of 16 will be added. What does the group think

I agree with you. The JFK game of Tetris makes a whole lot of sense this way. I actually didn't know about the two little wings close to the road! But to me the build out of T8 makes a huge amount of sense at this stage. Given how much BA value JFK they can build their own lounges, check-in areas with private wing, etc. and almost run the gates from the right hand of 16 as their own. Co-locating with your JBA plus other oneworld partners makes too much sense for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
I am certain this has been covered but I am overwhelmed with information after being on the forum for a couple of hours now. I'm from the UK doing a TP in January. Most of the advice seems to be about flying and connecting into the US but my question is about going home (ie leaving the US).

I'm flying AA Business class LAX-JFK (overnight arr 7.00am) [into T8]. I then fly later that day (8pm) with BA JFX-LHR (assume T7) again in Business. [I also have BA Silver/OWE status]

I would really like to do a Manhattan run (just because I can, as I have been to NYC a few times. So I have two questions

1. Can I get a shower? Can I get into the FL lounge on arrival (given I have an international same day connection business flight)?
2, What happens to my checked in bags? Will they be checked straight through to LHR ?
Thanks all
1) Yes. Yes.
2) They will be checked through to LHR, assuming you are on the same ticket. At LAX you might be asked if you want to short check them, something you could reasonably request with a 12hr stop
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Thanks @Fraser. Much appreciated (and yes, it is all on one AA ticket).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:17 am

TSA wait times

I'm concerned about reported TSA slowdowns given various media reports. How are wait times at JFK today (Monday, Jan 7) compared to normal?

Is the Security Wait Time tracker at https://jfkairport.com/ generally accurate for AA flights from T8, especially regarding the pre-check line?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
LAX-JFK-LHR AA JFK Terminal 8 to 7

Hello I am flying LAX-JFK-LHR in J but only have 1 hour 46 minutes of a layover, is that enough time to transfer over? Is there enough time to go to any lounge as well? Any experience with fivestar or blacklane pass will they arrange a vehicle to take me over?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Amil
Hello I am flying LAX-JFK-LHR in J but only have 1 hour 46 minutes of a layover, is that enough time to transfer over? Is there enough time to go to any lounge as well? Any experience with fivestar or blacklane pass will they arrange a vehicle to take me over?

Thanks in advance
1:46 is plenty for this connection. You just have to exit T8 and proceed up a level and take the AirTrain one stop over to T7 and clear security again. Hiring a car for this would be a complete overkill and wouldn't save any time. If everything is on time you should have a decent 30-45 mins of lounge time (given the terminal change I would go straight to T7 first and use the BA lounge there, as opposed to stopping in the AA FL at T8 first).

Amil likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Hiring a car for this would be a complete overkill
FYI -- "blacklane pass" is a service comparable to fivestar, not the same as regular blacklane the car service.

Still, 100% agree that it would be overkill here.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Amil

Thanks in advance
Please read the Wikipost at the top of page.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:50 am
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Does anybody know the MCT at JFK AA domestic (LAX-JFK) connecting to BA international (LHR-JFK)
Currently we are ticketed with AA and the connection time is 1:28 h
Looks like this morning the ticket was automatically changed (could be MCT issue)
However with the help of a lovely AA representative we re-installed the original itinerary.

1. Is 1:28h achievable
2. Do you think the ticket will stick?

Any other recommendations?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Shl
Does anybody know the MCT at JFK AA domestic (LAX-JFK) connecting to BA international (LHR-JFK)
Looks like this morning the ticket was automatically changed (could be MCT issue)
However with the help of a lovely AA representative we re-installed the original itinerary.

MCT is 2:00 when transferring from T8 to T7.
1:28 is doable, but it’s very risky.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Shl

Blumie summed it up.

I assume no checked bags. If yes, change it back, you will almost certainly not make it.
I assume you will have all bp's before JFK. If no, change it back, you will almost certainly not make it.
I assume you are in business/first class. If no, change it back, you will almost certainly not make it.

With no checked bags, and no delays on the flight, and no delays getting off the flight, and no delays on the train, and no long delays at security at T7, you have a good shot at making it.
If any of these do not hold true, you will almost certainly not make it.

Do report back. Good luck.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:52 am
Shl

Originally Posted by Global321
Blumie summed it up.

I assume no checked bags. If yes, change it back, you will almost certainly not make it.
I assume you will have all bp's before JFK. If no, change it back, you will almost certainly not make it.
I assume you are in business/first class. If no, change it back, you will almost certainly not make it.

With no checked bags, and no delays on the flight, and no delays getting off the flight, and no delays on the train, and no long delays at security at T7, you have a good shot at making it.
If any of these do not hold true, you will almost certainly not make it.

Do report back. Good luck.

Update:
Sorry and thanks Blumie - just seeing your post now where you are stating MCT 2h
With a schedule change it seems that tickets can be issued with a MCT < 2h
So the question is: Will this stick or would you suggest to sort things proactively? (don"t want to lose my nice bubble 747 seats)

​​​​​​​(and sorry for the confusion)

Many thanks Global321

I can confirm - meeting all these requirements.
However, at the BA forum our expert people advised, the MCT for T7-T8 would be 2h minimum.
Our ticket had been auto-adjusted this morning (looks lke for not meeting MCT in JFK).
However we brought it back with a very friendly AA Exec Plat representative to the original routing.
BA forum advises, that this will most certainly happen again (auto adjustment/ change due to non-sufficient MCT)

What is the AA forum's combined experience with this?
Shall I better change proactively already or may I slip through?

Thanks for advise

P.S,: To add, yes we have checked bags, but this is a US-Europe and bags are checked through with no need to pick them up in JFK.

Last edited by Shl; Apr 5, 2019 at 10:05 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Shl
What is the AA forum's combined experience with this?
Shall I better change proactively already or may I slip through?

Thanks for advise

P.S,: To add, yes we have checked bags, but this is a US-Europe and bags are checked through with no need to pick them up in JFK.
If you are below MCT then the computers will keep catching it and auto rebooking you. There are lots of LAX-JFK and JFK-LHR flights, I would for sure do your homework then call AA back and ask to switch to something else. If you want to stay on the same BA JFK-LHR flight, then just ask for an earlier LAX-JFK flight.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:14 am
Shl

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you are below MCT then the computers will keep catching it and auto rebooking you. There are lots of LAX-JFK and JFK-LHR flights, I would for sure do your homework then call AA back and ask to switch to something else. If you want to stay on the same BA JFK-LHR flight, then just ask for an earlier LAX-JFK flight.
Thanks JJeffrey this matches the info from our pros in the BA forum. Just wanted to double check. Steps clear.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:51 pm

Confused regarding AA's connection time policy in JFK (to merge)

I'm flying SFO -> JFK -> LGW in June.
After I bought the tickets, AA changed the schedule and told me to call them. They then told me that the connection (From American Airlines arriving at 8:19 pm to British Airways departing at 10:00pm, on a Saturday FWIW) is now too tight -- they have a 2 hour minimum connection policy.
I later spoke with another person who told me that my connection is actually fine and that their minimum time for such connections is actually 1 hour and 15 minutes.
But now, I keep getting more emails asking me to call them again about this, so I'm confused.
My questions:
  1. Does anybody know what AA's actual connection time policy is in this case?
  2. What happens if I don't change my flight? Will I even be able to check in?
  3. What are, realistically, my chances of making the AA->BA connection (terminal 8 to 7) in 1 hr 41 minutes?
  4. What happens if I don't change my flight and miss the connecting flight?
I'm asking because the only earlier flight to JFK is very inconvenient for me, and I would rather not change anything if at all possible.

Last edited by grandsquirrel; Apr 7, 2019 at 3:40 pm Reason: Fixed GTW->LGW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.