Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
I just had to award ticket changed to DCA-LGA on AA connecting to JFK-DOH on QR with a 3:45 MCT. Looking online looks like MCT is 4:00. The agent on the phone made the change and the award is now ticketing. Is this a legal connection? Will the award ticket? Would I have any issues?
I'm not sure about the MCT, but as a practical matter that'll give you plenty of time. If you're concerned, though, is there not an earlier DCA-LGA you could take?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I just had to award ticket changed to DCA-LGA on AA connecting to JFK-DOH on QR with a 3:45 MCT. Looking online looks like MCT is 4:00. The agent on the phone made the change and the award is now ticketing. Is this a legal connection? Will the award ticket? Would I have any issues?
Are these separate tickets? If so, MCT does not apply and you'll have an interesting discussion with QR if you are not there for boarding.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I'm not sure about the MCT, but as a practical matter that'll give you plenty of time. If you're concerned, though, is there not an earlier DCA-LGA you could take?
I agree I have no concerns about making the connection to JFK, I am just concerned about if I will have issues with invalid MCT. It is the first DCA-NYC flight of the day, so no options for an earlier flight.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are these separate tickets? If so, MCT does not apply and you'll have an interesting discussion with QR if you are not there for boarding.
It is the same ticket.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I agree I have no concerns about making the connection to JFK, I am just concerned about if I will have issues with invalid MCT. It is the first DCA-NYC flight of the day, so no options for an earlier flight.

It is the same ticket.
Then you are laughing. At worst a reroute or delay, although DOH is currently a bit tricky.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Blumie
I would try to take an earlier flight. The traffic delays at LGA depending on the arrival time can be terrible with construction of the new terminals advancing. Also, there is construction/traffic nearly always on the Grand Central Pkwy/Van Wyck Expwy route to JFK.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by george 3
I would try to take an earlier flight. The traffic delays at LGA depending on the arrival time can be terrible with construction of the new terminals advancing. Also, there is construction/traffic nearly always on the Grand Central Pkwy/Van Wyck Expwy route to JFK.
It is the first DCA-NYC flight of the day, so no options for an earlier flight. The LGA flight arrives at 7:15a in the morning and the QR flight leaves at 11a. BTW it is on Thanksgiving Day.

The PNR just ticketed so I think I am safe. What do you guys and gals think?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
It is the first DCA-NYC flight of the day, so no options for an earlier flight. The LGA flight arrives at 7:15a in the morning and the QR flight leaves at 11a. BTW it is on Thanksgiving Day.

Oh, Thanksgiving Day early should not be a problem at all. Thank you for the additional information. Enjoy your trip !
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Curious about this as well. I just held an award over the phone with a 3:50 I-D connection. LATAM arrives JFK at 7:10 and AA departs LGA at 11:00. I asked two different agents about this connection (knowing that EF quotes a 4:00 MCT), and both came back saying that it was a valid connection. The second even offered that "you need at least 3 hours to make the connection". Is it possible that the EF data are wrong and/or AA recently updated their MCTs for NYC? 4:00 IMO was always too long, particularly for D-I connections where there's no immigration or customs involved.

I'll report back if/when it tickets.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying LAX-JFK-LHR on Nov. 25th (Sat. after Thanksgiving) and just noticed that I only allowed myself 1 hour and 26 minutes between my arrival from LAX and my BA flight out of Terminal 8. After reading this thread, I'm just hoping that the LAX-JFK flights gets in early (never guaranteed at all). Could be a very interesting day when I get to JFK, lol,
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCI777
I'm flying LAX-JFK-LHR on Nov. 25th (Sat. after Thanksgiving) and just noticed that I only allowed myself 1 hour and 26 minutes between my arrival from LAX and my BA flight out of Terminal 8. After reading this thread, I'm just hoping that the LAX-JFK flights gets in early (never guaranteed at all). Could be a very interesting day when I get to JFK, lol,
Well, the good news is that almost nothing ever actually departs JFK on time in the evening, so your 1 hour and 26 minutes is likely to grow unless your inbound flight gets delayed. Is it the last JFK-LHR of the night? What cabin are you flying in on the inbound (as that will definitely determine how quickly you're able to deplane)? Also BA will depart from T7, AA will arrive at T8 so it shouldn't be too long of a terminal transfer even though you have to exit the sterile area. Unfortunately BA is still not a TSA Pre✓ participant, so you will have to clear through regular security.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Well, the good news is that almost nothing ever actually departs JFK on time in the evening, so your 1 hour and 26 minutes is likely to grow unless your inbound flight gets delayed. Is it the last JFK-LHR of the night? What cabin are you flying in on the inbound (as that will definitely determine how quickly you're able to deplane)? Also BA will depart from T7, AA will arrive at T8 so it shouldn't be too long of a terminal transfer even though you have to exit the sterile area. Unfortunately BA is still not a TSA Pre✓ participant, so you will have to clear through regular security.
I'm flying Biz Class LAX-JFK so that should definitely help and there are two additional flights on BA after mine so worst case scenario, I should be backed up on one of the other flights.....hopefully, lol. I'm f;lying on a revenue Biz ticket (meaning not award), so that should help if I do need to be rebooked.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MCI777
I'm flying Biz Class LAX-JFK so that should definitely help and there are two additional flights on BA after mine so worst case scenario, I should be backed up on one of the other flights.....hopefully, lol. I'm f;lying on a revenue Biz ticket (meaning not award), so that should help if I do need to be rebooked.
Yea I wouldn't stress at all, 1.5 hrs still should be plenty of time. If you're sitting in LAX and your LAX-JFK flight starts getting even the slightest bit delayed, I would start asking to be rebooked on one of the LAX-LHR nonstops.
JonNYC and MCI777 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:00 am

I thought the minimum connecting time at JFK from AA to T7-BA was two hours.

Are you on separate tickets?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:55 pm

deleted - found answer buried in the JFK thread in the destination forums.

Last edited by 466SHH; Aug 15, 2017 at 7:38 pm Reason: found answer
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Hi all

I'm UK-based and have not had to transit JFK for many years.

I'm looking at flights from DCA-JFK-LHR for May 2018, all on AA metal. I particularly want to be on the 6.05pm departure to LHR and would not like to miss it (the reason is I want to be in the 77W reverse herringbone seats ie flight AA100).

I have the following options for the DCA-JFK leg:

1. AA 4332 "Trans States as American Eagle" dep 12.50pm-arr 2.21pm (nearly four hour connection)
2. AA 4735 "Republic Airlines as American Eagle" dep 2.55pm-arr 4.11pm (114 minute connection)

Flight 2 seems preferable because it has domestic first class on an Embraer RJ-175, versus single economy class on flight 1 on an Embraer RJ-145. The 145 looks very cramped but on the other hand it isn't a long flight so I could deal with it. Four hours in JFK airport seems a little tedious if it can be avoided, though I am both OW Sapphire and travelling in business class so I will have lounge access.

Additionally flight 2 gives me a slightly lower total price for my itinerary by about $40pp so not something to totally ignore.

Am I right in thinking both flights will arrive and depart from T8?

This will be on one PNR with bags checked through so does 114 minutes sound safe? I won't have to retrieve bags or go through security will I? I really do not want to miss my chosen 6.05pm LHR flight, though I know nothing is ever 100% certain in flying...

Also given I've never been in one: how does the drinks chit thing work in the Admiral's Clubs? How many do they give you per person, and are you allowed to go back and ask for more? I'm just curious as I've never been in a lounge that restricts beverages in this manner - not saying I will want to drink a lot but having to ask for tickets is a different way of doing things.

Thanks everybody!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.