Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by drwook
Is that a full 'wait for bags at carousel, recheck at check-in desk' cycle? Ouch

Will AA not do all the checks at LHR check-in? (it's all AA, all on one ticket)
Its a USCBP requirement that passengers collect bags and present them for inspection. The USA does not have the concept of auto checked (through) bags.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Its a USCBP requirement that passengers collect bags and present them for inspection. The USA does not have the concept of auto checked (through) bags.
There are a few airports (MIA and DFW maybe?) that support I-I through checked bags. However, it's the exception, not the norm.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dave_261
This is a very good idea.
Certainly worth a try, and I see Global Entry has an “enrollment on arrival” option to make the interview part of the regular entry process rather than a separate appointment once you’re conditionally approved. However, I think conditional approval can take a very long time now. I’ve been waiting for two months for approval of my renewal application, not a new application. (Mine is for NEXUS, so the delay could be on the Canadian side, though.) If you plan the Global Entry route, get the application in ASAP even if your travel is many months away.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by ashill
Certainly worth a try, and I see Global Entry has an “enrollment on arrival” option to make the interview part of the regular entry process rather than a separate appointment once you’re conditionally approved. However, I think conditional approval can take a very long time now. I’ve been waiting for two months for approval of my renewal application, not a new application. (Mine is for NEXUS, so the delay could be on the Canadian side, though.) If you plan the Global Entry route, get the application in ASAP even if your travel is many months away.
Started the process; worst case if I don't get in time for this trip, I've another in a couple more months... Fingers crossed
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Quick "for the record" update in case useful to others - Applied for GE (UK national);
* 09 Aug - applied for UK background check in afternoon
* 10 Aug - Woke up to a pass notification and access code. Applied on US site for GE itself
* 12 Aug - Woke up to conditional approval

So the long timescales are either a thing of the past, or I was lucky - I was expecting at least a couple of weeks! Fingers crossed the Enrolment on Arrival takes no longer than the usual fight through the border.

As I'll be 'doubling back' straight away to airside, I presume the TSA Pre will be immediately usable?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by drwook
As I'll be 'doubling back' straight away to airside, I presume the TSA Pre will be immediately usable?
drwook likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
New flight time and connection conerns

I'm flying AA to jfk and connecting on AY to Helsinki in November.

My original itinerary gave me 2.25 hours between flights. I got a flight notification from AY that it's now leaving earlier lol

I'm flying AA 2292 arriving JFK 21:30 and the Finnair flight now leaves at 22:45 (old time was 23:50).

Should I be concerned? This is an award J ticket that I booked earlier this year for a great redemption.
I don't have much experience connecting at JFK.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
With AA delays and cancellations and the potential for lousy weather in NYC in November, I'd try to get to JFK earlier.

Not sure when Finnair boarding ends, but they seem to start boarding really early. I got to the gate at around T-25 once and was the last one on the plane.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
JFK sucks. Can you change your DFW-JFK flight to an earlier one?
Originally Posted by enviroian

My original itinerary gave me 2.25 hours between flights. I got a flight notification from AY that it's now leaving earlier lol

I'm flying AA 2292 arriving JFK 21:30 and the Finnair flight now leaves at 22:45 (old time was 23:50).

Should I be concerned? This is an award J ticket that I booked earlier this year for a great redemption.
fotographer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by js1993
With AA delays and cancellations and the potential for lousy weather in NYC in November, I'd try to get to JFK earlier.

Not sure when Finnair boarding ends, but they seem to start boarding really early. I got to the gate at around T-25 once and was the last one on the plane.
Yeah, thanks good idea. I just requested on twitter PM to change me to the 2.45 PM DFW departure instead. Of course they'll probably say they can't since saver Y isn't available so I might be screwed. The irony is I had this flight originally booked but changed it so I wasn't at JFK for 4 + hours.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian

You tell us whether your AA flight will arrive on or close to schedule, and we'll tell you whether you should be concerned. AA and AY use the same terminal at JFK, so you should be able to get from your arrival gate to your departure gate in no more than 15 minutes.

Is HEL your final destination, or are you connecting on to somewhere else?
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

0 Connections

Coach - MileSAAver Award T 0 AA 991 0 DFW
11/23/22
2:45 PM JFK
11/23/22
7:11 PM 738 Daily
NA / NA

Yeah I'm screwed.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
You tell us whether your AA flight will arrive on or close to schedule, and we'll tell you whether you should be concerned. AA and AY use the same terminal at JFK, so you should be able to get from your arrival gate to your departure gate in no more than 15 minutes.

Is HEL your final destination, or are you connecting on to somewhere else?
Nope, Helsinki if my final.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"We took a look at your request. The departure at 2:45p currently has no award seats available. The connection time of one hour and 15 minutes is a valid connection but we understand your need for more time"

Of course flight is wide open.

Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:46 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Your connection at JFK could be one gate away. If you're checking bags, that's your main concern if you are arriving close to the connection time.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.