Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Was out of Customs at 7:05. Enough time for me to make the JFK-DCA flight - but for the fact that the flight was cancelled and AA rebooked me on the 10:00 LGA-DCA flight.
Did AA provide free transfer from JFK to LGA? Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Did AA provide free transfer from JFK to LGA? Thanks!
I didn't bother to ask. I did the NY transit dance (Air Train --> E Line --> Q70 bus). Cost about $11.00 which seemed easier than asking agents about muh reimbursement.
ernestnywang and ryanbriar like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Connection at JFK

I posted this question to BA TP run but have not got any response. If not appropriate, please remove.

I will arrive into JFK on BA at 21:00 and have the next AA flight at 6:00 in the next morning. I don't know how long the immigration takes and need to be at the airport at 4:30ish for the AA flight.

Should I stay at the airport or is it worth staying at a nearby hotel? I searched for some hotels but none of those are located within a walking distance. It would be appreciated if anyone could advise how to spend the "connection time".
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I posted this question to BA TP run but have not got any response. If not appropriate, please remove.

I will arrive into JFK on BA at 21:00 and have the next AA flight at 6:00 in the next morning. I don't know how long the immigration takes and need to be at the airport at 4:30ish for the AA flight.

Should I stay at the airport or is it worth staying at a nearby hotel? I searched for some hotels but none of those are located within a walking distance. It would be appreciated if anyone could advise how to spend the "connection time".
Staying at the airport sounds absolutely miserable as you'll literally be sitting on a landside bench for 6-7 hours. The TWA Hotel is the only connected hotel to JFK. I would get whatever hotel you can find that fits your budget, even if you'll only have 5-6 hours of true rest time.

Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Staying at the airport sounds absolutely miserable as you'll literally be sitting on a landside bench for 6-7 hours. The TWA Hotel is the only connected hotel to JFK. I would get whatever hotel you can find that fits your budget, even if you'll only have 5-6 hours of true rest time.

Thank you! I checked prices at the TWAT Hotel but it's too expensive for the short stay. I still have some time until the day, will do some more research. I will also look through the thread, thanks again.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's been a few years since I've travelled internationally, and I've never returned to the US via JFK. In a few weeks, we'll fly CDG-JFK-SAN with the JFK-SAN leg on Alaska. I'm OWE. I assume I would have the ability to access T8 Flagship lounge after clearing customs. Or am I hampered by the fact my onward flight on Alaska is out T7, preventing me from accessing secure area of T8?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sandonkey
It's been a few years since I've travelled internationally, and I've never returned to the US via JFK. In a few weeks, we'll fly CDG-JFK-SAN with the JFK-SAN leg on Alaska. I'm OWE. I assume I would have the ability to access T8 Flagship lounge after clearing customs. Or am I hampered by the fact my onward flight on Alaska is out T7, preventing me from accessing secure area of T8?
You should be able to access the AA flagship lounge - there is no restriction on accessing secure area of T8 if you have a same day JFK boarding pass in another terminal. There is no secure transfer between T8 and T7 so if you do, you will have to exit and clear security again at T7.

Alaska has a lounge in T7 which I think you should also have access to as a OWE on an international itinerary. Going strictly by the rules I think you would also have access to the OWE-eligible BA lounges in T7, although I would suspect it's an uphill battle trying to get into BA lounges given the BA PHL lounge denial reports others have shared on FT.
JJeffrey, wrp96, ryanbriar and 1 others like this.

Last edited by lrdpenn; Aug 4, 2022 at 1:20 pm Reason: BA lounges
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
You should be able to access the AA flagship lounge - there is no restriction on accessing secure area of T8 if you have a same day JFK boarding pass in another terminal. There is no secure transfer between T8 and T7 so if you do, you will have to exit and clear security again at T7.

Alaska has a lounge in T7 which I think you should also have access to as a OWE on an international itinerary. Going strictly by the rules I think you would also have access to the OWE-eligible BA lounges in T7, although I would suspect it's an uphill battle trying to get into BA lounges given the BA PHL lounge denial reports others have shared on FT.
Agree with the uphill battle comment. That said, Galleries F was very quiet about a month ago ahead of the 6 pm LHR flight. Folks started trickling in just before I left for the gate, but they shouldn’t be able to use capacity as an excuse.

Also - FWIW I was able to access the BA PHL lounge two weeks ago on an inbound flight using OWE with no pushback. My international BP was scanned (led with that, not the domestic one), the agent mentioned that I was allowed to have access then let me in.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the responses. I'll be travelling with my two daughters (ages 10 & 13). We'll have a 4.5 hour layover, so I think the $150 fee to get one of them in might be worth it if they don't let me squeeze an extra minor guest in for free. (I assume they're pretty strict about enforcing the 1 guest rule). With BA not offering an entrance fee option for the third member of our group, I'll probably just go with the flagship lounge before heading over to T7 closer to departure. I've been to that Alaska Lounge and it's fine, but I don't want to spend 3+ hours in it.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The only “minor guests” that get in for free are children aged under 2.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
International to International at JFK

Hi all - so I have a connection at JFK which is both my first time at that airport somehow, and also the first time I've connected international to international in USA. Flying London Heathrow to JFK then onwards to Bogota (Colombia), all on AA. Slumming it in PE if that makes a difference.

I had a few Q's I was hoping someone can advise on;
  1. My connection is 3hrs7mins - presume this should be ok generally?
  2. I assume I will need to clear the border, go landside, then clear security for the outbound - is this right, or is there a 'transit' route to avoid that? What's the deal with baggage, same as with international to domestic?
  3. I have the same palaver on the way back, except via Miami and with a little more time to kill. I'm thinking to apply for Global Entry and try to fit in the interview on arrival at JFK to make the rest easier - is that likely to help/be a sane idea? I also have a couple of direct US flights too, so I think would be generally useful to have and not just for this trip.
Would be happy to receive any advice!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
3 hours should be enough. Yes, you must clear US Customs (immigration), collect your bags and then clear US Customs again (for customs purposes). You will then recheck your bags with AA who will review your passport and necessary visa forms for your onward trip to BOG.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
3 hours should be enough. Yes, you must clear US Customs (immigration), collect your bags and then clear US Customs again (for customs purposes). You will then recheck your bags with AA who will review your passport and necessary visa forms for your onward trip to BOG.
Is that a full 'wait for bags at carousel, recheck at check-in desk' cycle? Ouch

Will AA not do all the checks at LHR check-in? (it's all AA, all on one ticket)
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by drwook
I have the same palaver on the way back, except via Miami and with a little more time to kill. I'm thinking to apply for Global Entry and try to fit in the interview on arrival at JFK to make the rest easier - is that likely to help/be a sane idea? I also have a couple of direct US flights too, so I think would be generally useful to have and not just for this trip
This is a very good idea.
drwook likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by drwook
Is that a full 'wait for bags at carousel, recheck at check-in desk' cycle? Ouch

Will AA not do all the checks at LHR check-in? (it's all AA, all on one ticket)
There is a bag recheck area for through-checked bags, right after customs before you come out to the public area.

I think AA should do all the documentation checks at LHR. If so you'll have your onward boarding pass, so just go on up to security past the check-in area.
drwook likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.