Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Old Mar 25, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I helped my gf do the enrollment on arrival (also a UK citizen) in MIA and we used the GE line for her, when you speak to an officer just tell them what you need to do.
I like this! Thanks again.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:43 pm

I am flying Qantas business award on AA Indianapolis to LHR ( dep 1830) via JFK in june .
There was initially a big gap between arrival JFK and departure for LHR-arr JFK 1540.
Unfortunately the original IND departure was cancelled leaving the only option at 0800 dep out of IND.
At this stage, there were no other options out of LHR.
I rang QF and asked about seats to LGA and I could make my own way to JFK by cab.
There was 3 hours and 30 minutes available to do this .
Sadly the MCT LGA-JFK was 4 hours so the connection would not ticket.
Has any poster been able to receive an exception to this restriction or found a way round it?

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I like this! Thanks again.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ozflier
I am flying Qantas business award on AA Indianapolis to LHR ( dep 1830) via JFK in june .
There was initially a big gap between arrival JFK and departure for LHR-arr JFK 1540.
Unfortunately the original IND departure was cancelled leaving the only option at 0800 dep out of IND.
At this stage, there were no other options out of LHR.
I rang QF and asked about seats to LGA and I could make my own way to JFK by cab.
There was 3 hours and 30 minutes available to do this .
Sadly the MCT LGA-JFK was 4 hours so the connection would not ticket.
Has any poster been able to receive an exception to this restriction or found a way round it?
No, there is no way around MCTs on the same PNR, no way to receive an exception.

If you want to risk it, the only thing you could do is see if QF can change your ticket to just JFK-LHR, then buy a separate IND-LGA ticket on another reservation. That of course would come with risks.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:26 pm

Ta for that response.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: BA - Blue
international AA-B6 JFK: checked baggage?

Mother flying LHR-JFK(AA)-CHS (B6) tomorrow.

What does she need to do with her baggage after going through customs at T8? Can the AA baggage handlers take it, or does she need to take it with her to T5? (she'll also need wheelchair assistance, so it's not entirely trivial for her).

thank you,

tb

PS I initially posted a similar question on B6 forum, which I appreciate is not great FT etiquette, but then realised this may be more appropriate for AA forum.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:32 am

Connecting through JFK next Sunday (domestic tcon) and would like to meet an NYC-based friend for a drink at the TWA hotel. Arriving T8 just after 2:30pm and departing T8 just after 5pm. I have PreCheck and CLEAR. Is the fastest plan to take the T5 <->T8 bus or is there any benefit to taking the AirTrain?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jdr918
Connecting through JFK next Sunday (domestic tcon) and would like to meet an NYC-based friend for a drink at the TWA hotel. Arriving T8 just after 2:30pm and departing T8 just after 5pm. I have PreCheck and CLEAR. Is the fastest plan to take the T5 <->T8 bus or is there any benefit to taking the AirTrain?

You cannot take the bus airside from T8 to T5 unless you have a boarding pass (or confirmed itinerary) for a same-day flight departing from T5. You would need to arrive T8, leave security and take the AirTrain to T5 to visit the TWA Hotel, then return to T8 and re-clear security. It's pretty tight with just 2.5 hours in between flights, given that you will need to allow 5-7 minutes for each AirTrain ride, and there's no telling how long security lines will be to re-enter and get to your departing gate on time. It would have to be a very quick drink! (I personally would not risk it.)
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
BTW what's the MCT at JFK? I have a schedule change that gives me just 40 minutes. Coming in from MIA and connecting on Eagle to CMH. The next flight to CHM isn't for another 6 hours. I have a feeling 40 minutes is right on the edge.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It’s tight but doable. I’d leave T5 no later than 4pm.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by EXP100
BTW what's the MCT at JFK? I have a schedule change that gives me just 40 minutes. Coming in from MIA and connecting on Eagle to CMH. The next flight to CHM isn't for another 6 hours. I have a feeling 40 minutes is right on the edge.
Plenty of time if your MIA-JFK is on time. Rushed if it’s 10 minutes late. Sprint if you’re 20 minutes late. Forgetaboutit if you’re 30 minutes late.

MCT is 0:35.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
You cannot take the bus airside from T8 to T5 unless you have a boarding pass (or confirmed itinerary) for a same-day flight departing from T5. You would need to arrive T8, leave security and take the AirTrain to T5 to visit the TWA Hotel, then return to T8 and re-clear security. It's pretty tight with just 2.5 hours in between flights, given that you will need to allow 5-7 minutes for each AirTrain ride, and there's no telling how long security lines will be to re-enter and get to your departing gate on time. It would have to be a very quick drink! (I personally would not risk it.)
Thanks for the advice. If the plan for meeting up with the friend falls though, I am guessing I would likewise be in a time crunch to head to T4 for a bite to eat at the Centurion Lounge or VS Clubhouse utilizing T4's CLEAR? I have access to AC (and PP lounges) but not FL/FFD...
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
You cannot take the bus airside from T8 to T5 unless you have a boarding pass (or confirmed itinerary) for a same-day flight departing from T5. ...)
Not true. I just did it last week. I simply stated I wanted to go to the AC in T8. She questioned it for a minute, but then waived me through.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Thanks for the advice. If the plan for meeting up with the friend falls though, I am guessing I would likewise be in a time crunch to head to T4 for a bite to eat at the Centurion Lounge or VS Clubhouse utilizing T4's CLEAR? I have access to AC (and PP lounges) but not FL/FFD...
If you're going to use Priority Pass to access the Clubhouse, why not go to the steakhouse in T8? I know they're not exactly the same, but way less stressful in terms of timing.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
If you're going to use Priority Pass to access the Clubhouse, why not go to the steakhouse in T8? I know they're not exactly the same, but way less stressful in terms of timing.
Priority Pass via Amex does not include the restaurant benefit. VS Clubhouses are actually no longer part of PP, but Amex now has a relationship with Plaza Premium Group for access.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
JFK T8 International - Domestic Connection & Bag Drop

It’s been a while since I connected Int - Dom in the US and have never done so at JFK T8.

Is there a quick bag-drop for connecting passengers when you exit customs? Or do I have to go up to the departures level with my case?

EDIT: connecting from and to Flagship J if it makes a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.