Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 22, 10:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to JFK / New York airport website
Link to aa.com JFK / New York airport page
Link to downloadable FAA JFK airport schematic.

American Airlines use Terminal 8 at JFK, and host Finnair, Qantas, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian Airlines.

Other oneworld and partner airlines use the following:
T-1: Japan Airlines and Royal Air Maroc
T-4: Etihad
T-5: Aer Lingus and Hawaiian Airlines
T-7: Alaska Airlines, British Airways, and Iberia
T-8: see above

Inter-terminal transport from / to Terminal 8 is landside via the AirTrain; walking between terminals is not advisable.

Check-in times as of March 2016 Link
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

If youíre beginning travel from any of the airports below, the check-in time is longer:

Departing from: Check-in must be completed by: (minutes before scheduled departure time)
Caracas, Venezuela (CCS) 90 minutes
Dublin, Ireland (DUB) 75 minutes
Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) 75 minutes
Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR) 90 minutes
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT) 90 minutes

Ticket counters
Main Terminal 8
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Peculiarities:
JFK is a congested airport that can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic, with congested air space including EWR, JFK, LGA. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide. Terminals transfers are almost entirely landside, using the free airport "AirTrain" trains.

Lounges in T-8 (see Lounge Dashboard for links):
Admirals Club: past security near C42
Flagship Lounge: past security near B12
Flagship First Dining: access within the Flagship Lounge

AA Minimum Connecting Times (MCT) at JFK
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.comMinimum Connect Times:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-BA DI SUP FLT 7295 - 7437 - FLT 1500 - 1640 LAX - ALL
AA-BA DI .40 ALL - FLT 1500 - 1640
AA-BA DI .40 ALL - FLT 6000 - 6099
AA-BA DI SUP CANADA - CANADA
AA-** DI SUP FLT 1 - 9099 - ALL ALL - CUBA
AA-** DI 1.15 FLT 7840 - 7859 - ALL
AA-** DI SUP CANADA - CANADA
AA-** DI 2.00 TRM 8 - 7

Baggage Storage at JFK
Storage available by Arrivals in Terminals 1, 4, 8. See website for prices, locations, and times.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 3, 22, 4:31 pm

Connection at JFK

I will be landing at JFK at 6:50 am terminal 8 on an AA international flight. I have a connecting domestic AA flight at 8:20 am from terminal 8. It gives me about 90 minutes to connect. I have global entry. I would like to know if this is enough time to connect and if I need to go through security again. I have no checked baggage. Not sure if CK Rep will be available on my international arrival. Appreciate any insights.

Last edited by Svermacpa; Feb 3, 22 at 5:02 pm
Old Feb 3, 22, 5:15 pm

MCT is 1:15. With 1:30, GE, and no bags, you have an excellent chance. Yes, you have to go through security again (you always do when connecting in the US from an international flight). But as CK you qualify for FFCI at JFK, which will take you to the front of the Precheck line.

You will breeze through this connection to the envy of 99% of travelers. If you haven't done it before, you may be shocked how quick and easy it is. I see the JFK FL in your future.

That said, the usual advice applies: As important as the likelihood of misconnecting is how well you can recover if it happens. If there are other AA flights from JFK to your destination later that day, you are covered as well as you can be.
Svermacpa likes this.
Old Feb 3, 22, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, on my last JFK int'l arrival it was about 15 mins from the time the door opened to the time I was sitting in the Flagship Lounge.
Svermacpa likes this.
Old Feb 3, 22, 8:43 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by whimsey21 View Post
why? is this due to the potential schedule uncertainty mentioned by lrdpenn?
​​​​​​Yes and if you were originally going to DCA, BWI isn't that close or as easily accessible to the city.
Old Feb 5, 22, 11:08 pm

So AA finally cancelled both legs of my DFW - TLV non-stop round trip in early May. Do my minimum connection times at JFK look doable?

Business class with global entry.

DFW - JFK - TLV with a 1:45 layover

TLV - JFK - DFW with a 2:00 layover
Old Feb 6, 22, 6:13 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by avatexrs View Post
So AA finally cancelled both legs of my DFW - TLV non-stop round trip in early May. Do my minimum connection times at JFK look doable?

Business class with global entry.

DFW - JFK - TLV with a 1:45 layover

TLV - JFK - DFW with a 2:00 layover
Yes. You are all AA and all within T8 so that is very solid to me. Usual caveat with regards to slow bags and assumption all flights are on time etc. Your outband in particular should be plenty of time as you do not have to change terminals and no immigration. On the return, I actually find JFK pretty quick on arrival if you have Global Entry and the re-entry through security is pretty quick with Pre-Check. It is just the bags that can take forever in my experiences lately.
Svermacpa likes this.
Old Feb 28, 22, 10:15 am

Got the option of LAX-JFK-ATH (early October) , with a connection time of 43 mins(!) at JFK. Is that realistically doable? LAX-JFK is on AA118 which seems to be largely on time. The alternative is LAX-PHL-ATH, but that's always on an 788 compared to a 772.
Old Feb 28, 22, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jj_lgkr View Post
Got the option of LAX-JFK-ATH (early October) , with a connection time of 43 mins(!) at JFK. Is that realistically doable? LAX-JFK is on AA118 which seems to be largely on time. The alternative is LAX-PHL-ATH, but that's always on an 788 compared to a 772.
If your LAX-JFK flight arrives ontime ó and Iím guessing the ontime record of that flight is very good ó youíll easily make your connection. Iíd be far less optimistic that any checked luggage will make it, though.
Old Mar 2, 22, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
​​​​​​Yes and if you were originally going to DCA, BWI isn't that close or as easily accessible to the city.
Makes sense. I live near DCA so am aware of the distance to BWI. Would rather have the longer drive than get stuck in JFK for 6 hours!

Following up on my earlier posting though-- my trip back from CDG-JFK-DCA is the first week of April, and as of today, the JFK-DCA and JFK-BWI flight times haven't changed since I originally posted, meaning I currently have a ~6 hour layover in JFK, but could cut it to a 1:39 layover by switching to the JFK-BWI flight (and then driving home from there). Do you all think that the schedules for these routes in April are likely set at this point? Based on the advice earlier in the thread, I've been waiting in case the JFK-BWI flights cancel or the schedules change again in a way that makes the DC flight more favorable again. Am wondering if I should go ahead and call AA to switch flights or wait a little while longer in case the schedule changes again.
Old Mar 25, 22, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Hi all. I have an upcoming connection at JFK T8, arriving on Finnair at 14:40 and departing on AA to LAX at 17:00. By then, I should have GE Enrolment on that Arrival. I am a UK passport holder. I will be hand baggage only. I must admit I am sweating a little, as I recently arrived at T4 (without GE) and it was a horror show. Also, if I misconnect am I likely to be downgraded on AA to Y as I understand that AA will give away my seat to a mileage upgrade? I am on a paid J ticket.
Old Mar 25, 22, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew View Post
Hi all. I have an upcoming connection at JFK T8, arriving on Finnair at 14:40 and departing on AA to LAX at 17:00. By then, I should have GE Enrolment on that Arrival. I am a UK passport holder. I will be hand baggage only. I must admit I am sweating a little, as I recently arrived at T4 (without GE) and it was a horror show. Also, if I misconnect am I likely to be downgraded on AA to Y as I understand that AA will give away my seat to a mileage upgrade? I am on a paid J ticket.
2:20 is plenty of time at JFK T8 with no bags and GE. Nothing to worry about here at all.

On my last trip through (also GE and no bags) it was about 15 mins from the time I stepped off the plane until the time I was through customs/immigrations/security and in the Flagship Lounge.

Also not sure what you mean by AA giving away your seat to a mileage upgrader. If you were to miss your flight to LAX you'll just be rebooked on the next available option. If there's no business class seats available on the next flight then it's your choice of whether to take the earlier flight in economy, or wait till a later flight that has business available. You would just need to speak with an AA agent at JFK to discuss your options in that scenario.
Old Mar 25, 22, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
2:20 is plenty of time at JFK T8 with no bags and GE. Nothing to worry about here at all.

On my last trip through (also GE and no bags) it was about 15 mins from the time I stepped off the plane until the time I was through customs/immigrations/security and in the Flagship Lounge.

Also not sure what you mean by AA giving away your seat to a mileage upgrader. If you were to miss your flight to LAX you'll just be rebooked on the next available option. If there's no business class seats available on the next flight then it's your choice of whether to take the earlier flight in economy, or wait till a later flight that has business available. You would just need to speak with an AA agent at JFK to discuss your options in that scenario.
I have to do enrolment on arrival for GE, so I will not have it by that time. The question was more whether the GE enrolment on arrival process will be faster than the standard immigration?

Regarding AA surrendering the seat, I suppose the general point Iím asking is that AA seems to fill its cabins with with mileage upgrades so even if I get rerouted the J cabins will be full at this late stage? Forgive me if I have misunderstood how AA works in this regard as I am UK based.
Old Mar 25, 22, 1:20 pm

I have to do enrolment on arrival for GE, so I will not have it by that time. The question was more whether the GE enrolment on arrival process will be faster than the standard immigration?

Regarding AA surrendering the seat, I suppose the general point Iím asking is that AA seems to fill its cabins with with mileage upgrades so even if I get rerouted the J cabins will be full at this late stage? Forgive me if I have misunderstood how AA works in this regard as I am UK based.
Ah ok. Even still 2:20 should be fine doing the enrollment on arrival. But no way to know for sure if that will be faster than normal immigration on that day, all depends on how backed up immigration is and how long you might have to wait for an officer to do the interview.

As to AA giving away the seats, while they will fill some seats up with upgrades in the days/hours leading up to the flight, they will typically not fill all seats up with upgrades. So if any given flight is sold out in business more than about 2 hours in advance, it's sold out because of demand / paid tickets and not because AA filled it up with upgrades.

But again your difficulty in getting rebooked in business will really depend on the day/time and not about upgrades. Today for example, a busy Friday, most of the afternoon JFK-LAX flights are sold out in business but the late evening flight still has lots of room.
Old Mar 25, 22, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Ah ok. Even still 2:20 should be fine doing the enrollment on arrival. But no way to know for sure if that will be faster than normal immigration on that day, all depends on how backed up immigration is and how long you might have to wait for an officer to do the interview.

As to AA giving away the seats, while they will fill some seats up with upgrades in the days/hours leading up to the flight, they will typically not fill all seats up with upgrades. So if any given flight is sold out in business more than about 2 hours in advance, it's sold out because of demand / paid tickets and not because AA filled it up with upgrades.

But again your difficulty in getting rebooked in business will really depend on the day/time and not about upgrades. Today for example, a busy Friday, most of the afternoon JFK-LAX flights are sold out in business but the late evening flight still has lots of room.
Thank you, this is really good to know. Hopefully the later LAX flights being less pressurised will help me as that's what I would be looking at. Are you aware whether GE enrolment on arrival involves going through the regular immigration line and then being interviewed, or do you get some kind of priority through immigration too? Looking at the CBP website, out specifically outlines booth number 1 but I am not sure it's going to work like that in practice!
Old Mar 25, 22, 1:41 pm

Thank you, this is really good to know. Hopefully the later LAX flights being less pressurised will help me as that's what I would be looking at. Are you aware whether GE enrolment on arrival involves going through the regular immigration line and then being interviewed, or do you get some kind of priority through immigration too? Looking at the CBP website, out specifically outlines booth number 1 but I am not sure it's going to work like that in practice!
I helped my gf do the enrollment on arrival (also a UK citizen) in MIA and we used the GE line for her, when you speak to an officer just tell them what you need to do.

Search this Thread