Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The AA MCT for I-D at JFK is 1:15, so 1:20 was still legal, FYI.
Hmmm, Wiki shows I/D as 1:45 even checked on Expertflyer, see the same. I did ask on the AA-AA ID 1:15 as the follow on line items and was told by the agent that for rebooking they go off the 1:45

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Hmmm, Wiki shows I/D as 1:45 even checked on Expertflyer, see the same.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
But that's not how you read the MCT tables, the "STANDARD" MCT's are basically irrelevant as there are almost always airline and flight specific MCT's that override this.

In the case of AA at JFK if you look just below the standard MCT you'll see "AA-AA ID 1.15" meaning the MCT for an AA int'l to domestic connection is 1:15.
Global321 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:13 pm

But that's not how you read the MCT tables, the "STANDARD" MCT's are basically irrelevant as there are almost always airline and flight specific MCT's that override this.

In the case of AA at JFK if you look just below the standard MCT you'll see "AA-AA ID 1.15" meaning the MCT for an AA int'l to domestic connection is 1:15.
You are 100% correct.

This is definitely a Jeopardy question.

The answer is... "AA int'l to domestic connection is 1:15."
I will take 'Things I will never do' for $500.
NickP 1K, whimsey21 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty

Noted - with bags checked my question is HOW is 1:15 even possible if someone is not Pre (We are) and based on JFK staffing for CBP sometimes
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:39 pm

Is ~3 hours enough for international connection at JFK from JetBlue T5 to AA T8?

I have an itinerary SNA-JFK-POP, returning POP-JFK-LAX in early January. However, SNA-JFK is in one ticket (flagship business), JFK-POP round trip on JetBlue ticket (economy), JFK-LAX is in the third ticket (flagship business).

Outbound JFK layover is from 5:50AM to 8:07AM. I am not too concerned about this layover since it is going from domestic to international.

Return JFK layover is from 4:36PM to 7:30PM for 2 hour and 54 minutes. Since this one involves clearing US customer at JFK, I am curious if this connection time is too risky? I have global entry and pre-check and I wont have any checked luggage, but I am concerned about time spending in line at US custom and leaving airside to landside at T5 and then go through security again. Can these be done within 3 hours? Once I am in landside, should I go through security check at T5 or T8? Is airtrain better than taking the new JetBlue-AA shuttle from T5 to T8?

Would winter time be problematic for this type of connection at JFK?

If I am lucky enough to arrive at Terminal 5 gate before 5:30PM, is flagship business ticket eligible for same-day airport change at the gate if there is an open business class seat for the 6PM flight to LAX?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
With GE and no bags 2:54 is ample time to connect at JFK in your situation. No problems whatsoever. If things are on time you'll have at least 2 hours of lounge time before your JFK-LAX flight.

It's probably about the same amount of time to switch from T5 to T8 after arrival using the landside airtrain or going back airside in T5 and taking the shuttle. With that much time I would probably just take the airtrain since you're already landside.

Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I have an itinerary SNA-JFK-POP, returning POP-JFK-LAX in early January. However, SNA-JFK is in one ticket (flagship business), JFK-POP round trip on JetBlue ticket (economy), JFK-LAX is in the third ticket (flagship business).

Outbound JFK layover is from 5:50AM to 8:07AM. I am not too concerned about this layover since it is going from domestic to international.
It's important to remember that on separate tickets you aren't connecting. I'm not sure what policies either airline through their link up have in place to rebook you should their flights be late and you miss the next one with separate tickets.

On your outbound you don't have 2hrs 17mis. You have that less the Jet Blue check in deadline. For international I'd assume that was 60 mins before scheduled departure but it's something you should check.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It's important to remember that on separate tickets you aren't connecting. I'm not sure what policies either airline through their link up have in place to rebook you should their flights be late and you miss the next one with separate tickets.

On your outbound you don't have 2hrs 17mis. You have that less the Jet Blue check in deadline. For international I'd assume that was 60 mins before scheduled departure but it's something you should check.
for outbound, I'll just check in with JetBlue before i depart from SNA, and then take the newly-added airside AA-Jetblue shuttle from T5 to T8, so I don't have to worry about check-in time or even leaving airside.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Noted - with bags checked my question is HOW is 1:15 even possible if someone is not Pre (We are) and based on JFK staffing for CBP sometimes
In the latest AA schedule adjustment sweep, my CDG-JFK-DCA turned into a CDG-JFK-BWI with a 1:39 layover in JFK. We will have checked bags, and 3 of us have GE, while 1 does not. I haven't re-entered the US through JFK in many years-- assuming no major delays, does this seem like a reasonably safe connection time?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by whimsey21
In the latest AA schedule adjustment sweep, my CDG-JFK-DCA turned into a CDG-JFK-BWI with a 1:39 layover in JFK. We will have checked bags, and 3 of us have GE, while 1 does not. I haven't re-entered the US through JFK in many years-- assuming no major delays, does this seem like a reasonably safe connection time?
That should be fine. Bags is the wildcard as it can suck sometimes. Assuming the 1 without GE is US citizen, they will likely be through before bags start to unload. With and AA to AA connection you are in the terminal you need to be in so that is straight forward enough. Do all of you have TSA Pre Check? If so, I would feel very safe with that connection. Without, still would be comfortable but any significant delay in bags being unloaded could make you sweat it.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
That should be fine. Bags is the wildcard as it can suck sometimes. Assuming the 1 without GE is US citizen, they will likely be through before bags start to unload. With and AA to AA connection you are in the terminal you need to be in so that is straight forward enough. Do all of you have TSA Pre Check? If so, I would feel very safe with that connection. Without, still would be comfortable but any significant delay in bags being unloaded could make you sweat it.
thanks! All four of us are us citizens and do have pre, so that part will hopefully work.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:23 pm

I would not feel comfortable. With a slight delay in the flight and the bags taking the time it takes some times at JFK to get bags you could easily misconnect.

Looks like there is a just over 3 hour connection at JFK into BWI. If I were you, I would ask to be switched to that. No stress.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Not sure of your destination, but I would be more worried about going to BWI instead of DCA.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I would wait until ~4-6 weeks before departure to worry about this connection and/or make any changes. JFK-BWI is a slot squatting route with schedules very likely to change
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Not sure of your destination, but I would be more worried about going to BWI instead of DCA.
why? is this due to the potential schedule uncertainty mentioned by lrdpenn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.