Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Expertflyer shows late arrival of crew to the aircraft. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
For the ORD-LHR AA100, I was waitlisted with the SWU. Ultimately I flew on British Airways. Two hour delay into Gatwick, missed onward connection. A CS rep named Chris at the North service desk in Gatwick did an awesome job of routing me to Amsterdam (where I am now) and then on to my original destination of KBP on KLM.

Last edited by danbrew; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I too was to be on AA 100 JFK-LHR on Jan 12. Was also waitlisted with a SWU. Found that the flight was cancelled after turning on my phone upon touch down on the DCA-JFK flight (which was a disaster) - more on below. I figured that was AA usual aircraft shifting (and not really weather) - or 106 and 104 would have issues which they did not.

I immediately went to the AC club (instead of Flagship) to check on rebooking. I could see on the AA app that we were rebooked out of PHL the next evening (destination - DUB).

The 106 and 104 showed seats to book but they were all blocked. The AC agent call the JFK supervisor but nothing could be done. Overall this took an hour and no confirmed flights - other than a flight to BOS, overnight, then on the 8am from BOS to LHR the next morning.

Was standing by at the FlagShip lounge for another 1.5 hours on the phone with EXP line several times and with the FS agent. Was hoping to get on 106/104 if possible. But then EXP agent said the 10pm JFK-LGW could confirm space - so took that with an BA code share with EI to DUB.

FS agent rebooked ticket but the ticket got screwed up. Went to Term 7 and spent over an hour at BA First Check in trying to get checked in. BA said they were overbooked and AA overbooks BA flights. But BA agent went to BA ticketing and we did have confirmed seats. But there was still dual flights segments LHR-DUB and LGW-DUB in the PNR. AA could not see them - but BA could but BA could not clear the unneeded segments. Net - went to BA F lounge and took BA agent a half hour to add our FF numbers in the reservation. But could not get boarding passes for LGW-DUB.

Net - made it all the way - EI was able to print the boarding passes. Issue - this is just one of several times that AA cancels a fully packed flight for aircraft re-positioning.

On the DCA-JFK - I noticed on Exert Flyer that somehow - the 12 F seats cleared and all opened. There was only 2 open F seats originally left but now all seats opened and 10 people got upgrades and boarded. But I knew something was wrong when boarding had stopped. Net is - system erroneously cleared the seats so everyone in F had to deplane or back to gate for new boarding passes and not you original seat. We were 2 and 3 on upgrade list - but got coach - but then there were more F seats than 2 left - so people below us on the upgrade list got F. Overall - a complete disaster - this was a USAir aircraft and the agents were former USAir. Overall USAir agent just are not as good as the AA former agents.

Overall a very bad day. Too many problems.

On the new JFK Flagship lounge - WiFi was so slow it was not functioning. Bad restrooms - can't find the paper towels nor figure where to but them. Plus institutional toilet stall doors - not all the way to the floor like other clubs.

Overall I was not impressed with the new lounge.

Last edited by cova; Jan 13, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:54 pm

Guys, I'd appreciate your wisdom. I absolutely have to be in PHL by Tuesday morning. I have an award ticket from XXX-ORD-PHL for Sunday and arrive at PHL 11:30 am. Any idea of whether I might make it despite travel advisory? Thanks! Also connection in ORD is 30 minutes. Can I do a same day flight change for the second flight segment in 24 hours or is that not allowed to get a later flight? Will I be charged extra miles for giving me peace of mind about the connection?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oaken
Guys, I'd appreciate your wisdom. I absolutely have to be in PHL by Tuesday morning. I have an award ticket from XXX-ORD-PHL for Sunday and arrive at PHL 11:30 am. Any idea of whether I might make it despite travel advisory? Thanks! Also connection in ORD is 30 minutes. Can I do a same day flight change for the second flight segment in 24 hours or is that not allowed to get a later flight? Will I be charged extra miles for giving me peace of mind about the connection?
Hard to say without knowing the origin. Weather wise and SDFC wise can't say without knowing where you start.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hard to say without knowing the origin. Weather wise and SDFC wise can't say without knowing where you start.
You don't have clearance high enough for that info...
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
You don't have clearance high enough for that info...
Well then fair play is fair play. You don't have clearance High enough for the answer.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Well then fair play is fair play. You don't have clearance High enough for the answer.
I don't get it why people hide the city they flew out of...
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I don't get it why people hide the city they flew out of...
Especially when the answer is dependent on it. Just knowing a city isn't going to let you access the reservation. You would need to also know actual name.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
AA 6082 LAX-SFO Delayed Departure and ATC Go Around On Arrival

The plane for AA (CP) 6082 was coming from AA (CP) 6069 SAN and had some operational issues (cargo/baggage according to expert flyer), so it didn't arrive at LAX until at 7:55 p.m. AA 6082 was scheduled at 7:45 p.m., then pushed to 8:43 p.m. and pulled back to about 8:30 p.m.

We finally get off the gate about 8:45 p.m. and have an uneventful trip up to SFO. Fortunately we got the south side departure to avoid the long taxi time to 24L and look to arrive about 40 minutes late overall.

As we get near landing, I suddenly hear the engines spool up, the noise raise and the landing gear retract. After a bit, a pilot comes on and says ATC asked them to go around. We landed about bit under 15 minutes later.

I dug around the ATC archives and there was a DL plane that didn't move despite repeated ATC calls. That made it impossible for a UA plane to get clear of 28R and they ordered us to go around.

First go around for me in many years.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
you know what i enjoy about IRROPs is when i get rebooked its usually into Y class (vs some discount Q or O class i booked originally) and i always get the EQM bonus for full fare Y class

+1 for agent laziness! lol
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm on AA 465 from PHX to SAN - as we were landing we pulled up due to weather (in San Diego - go figure) and were diverted back to Phoenix. I was only planning on traveling for the day and will cancel my Meeting and reschedule.

Can I claim trip I'm vain?

The flight was cheap so a refund isn't really important to me. Truthfully, I'd rather take the EQMs (is this original route credit?). Can I just ask for this or would they give both? Not sure how this works with not needing to reschedule this trip.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
They usually won't give both.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by wrp96
They usually won't give both.
So it is one or the other? If I want the mileage credit do I just email or call? Which is the easiest method to get the original mileage?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
So it is one or the other? If I want the mileage credit do I just email or call? Which is the easiest method to get the original mileage?
If you ask for and receive a refund, you won't get original mileage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.