Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2017)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by zpaul
As a non-AA Emerald you have access to both upon arrival and once the clubs reopen the next morning.

The AC/FL is open until 2:00 am, so you can spend quite a bit of time there. The QF F Lounge closes at 11:30 pm, so I'd recommend heading to the QF F Lounge for a nice dinner and some great wines, and then heading back to the AC/FL for the rest of your layover until it closes.

The AC/FL opens at 5:00 am and the QF lounge opens at 6:30 am so you'll be lounge-less for three hours. Not sure how quickly they get their kitchen up and running, but again, breakfast in the QF lounge will beat the AC/FL if you can make it work before boarding (which I presume will be 8:00 am).

Thanks zpaul - sounds like a plan! A great plan. Ever since the connector has opened, its made LAX one of our fav airports !

I just need to remember to have a coffee and a beer, not beer and a beer!

Appreciate your advice - thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
SEA no Club (must be Admirals Club member to use AS Board Room)
MIA Admirals Clubs

PTY Priority Pass (ironically, ex-Admirals Club - logo in floor)
MIA Admirals Clubs

(Paitilla - Panamá is Central America in J qualifier)
Thanks for the information! I just wasn’t sure about the mixed class itinerary giving lounge access on the return flight.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Traveling First - AUH-JFK-BOS - access to lounge in JFk

Hi
I am traveling in First class from Abu Dhabi to Boston (via JFK) - Abu Dhabi to JFK sector on etihad. I have a 4 hour layover in JFK before I take a partner flight on American to Boston. Is there any access to a lounge while I wait.

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by arsenalman
Hi
I am traveling in First class from Abu Dhabi to Boston (via JFK) - Abu Dhabi to JFK sector on etihad. I have a 4 hour layover in JFK before I take a partner flight on American to Boston. Is there any access to a lounge while I wait.

Thanks
Not on the basis of anything you've posted.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by arsenalman
Hi

Thanks
Very interesting question and unfortunately I think the answer is no, unless you have non-AA OWS or OWE status. What is almost painful is that you will have physical access to the EY lounge entrance directly upon arrival in JFK T4 due to preclearance in AUH. But I read they turn people away in your situation, or at best may allow entrance for $75 per person when it's open (which is timed to departures, not arrivals).

Comment by lucky: "They don’t allow arriving passengers to use it" here
Comment by SeattleTodd: "I've been trying to sweet talk them into granting us arrivals access" here

Oneworld lounges are not going to work (unless you buy, e.g., an Admirals Club day pass) because EY is not a member and your AA flight is domestic. I think this is true even if the EY flight was booked as an AA codeshare, because the requirement for class-of-service lounge access is an international flight marketed and operated by a Oneworld airline.

This is where having some lounge membership card comes in handy!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
JDiver is correct that the AA flight doesn't help with lounge access in SEA....
No one is disputing that. But, OP DOES have access via PP. And that was OP's question. So the statement of no access for OP was not correct.

Originally Posted by JDiver
To clarify: If you're not an Admirals Club member, you're not accessing the Board member, but of course with PP there are Lounges. Of course, it's name is The Club at SEA.

I do miss the SEA Admirals Club. :sigh:
Yes. Exactly what I stated. OP does have access to multiple lounges via PP.

And yes, miss AA Admiral's club in SEA.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Day use pass Admiral Club Dallas FW

I am arriving from LHR to DFW at 5 pm with my 2 boys aged 10. It appears I can purchase a day pass and have them admitted with me free. Having read the wiki (although not necessarily up to date) I see some of the clubs have different facilities ie kids room, showers etc and food offerings. Will this cost be worthwhile for us for a few hours ie 3 or 4 hours and will the food offerings be sufficient to tide them over until our next flight...I understand you can order more substantial offerings as well. Comments appreciated thanks
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
If you have any kind of Amex card I'd suggest you go to the Centurion in D. It is free for Platinum and 50$ for all other card holders. The food and drink is much better and they have a kid area with video games. If you don't have that then I believe Terminal D Admirals has the kids area with several computers set up and such. I'd say for traveling with two boys aged 10 it would be well worth it to spend the 50$ on a day pass. The free offerings at Admirals club aren't gourmet by any standard but will certainly get you by. The soup is pretty darn good even.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
The soup is pretty good as is the freshly made guacamole. Add a plate of carrots and snap peas with some hummus and it makes a decent meal to hold you over till the next flight.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
O' and pick up the Loungebuddy app for your phone. It is excellent for giving you locations and how to access all lounges.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:55 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At JFK and Charlotte ACs in the morning they have fresh fruit and hard boiled eggs do they have these in the afternoon also?
Are Amex card holders who purchase a day pass for Centurion lounges allowed any guests?

Last edited by nrr; Jun 20, 2017 at 6:12 am
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by testycal
I am arriving from LHR to DFW at 5 pm with my 2 boys aged 10. It appears I can purchase a day pass and have them admitted with me free. Having read the wiki (although not necessarily up to date) I see some of the clubs have different facilities ie kids room, showers etc and food offerings. Will this cost be worthwhile for us for a few hours ie 3 or 4 hours and will the food offerings be sufficient to tide them over until our next flight...I understand you can order more substantial offerings as well. Comments appreciated thanks
The most valuable part of many Wikiposts is the list of resource links. One day pass rules state:

"Up to three children under 18 years of age admitted for free at no additional cost, if accompanied by an adult day pass visitor."

The main Lounge Dashboard in the WELCOME and LOUNGE DASHBOARD "sticky" thread has extensive links, including to individual threads including more links - the link to the DFW Clubs listing on AA.com here reveals Children's Rooms in the Terminal A, C and D Clubs.

In the afternoon there are soup, fresh guacamole and other snacks, as well as a menu of paid food offerings.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:20 am

BOS Lounge Options for Platinum

Hello I am flying on AA soon out of BOS and am a Platinum member. Would it be inconvenient to use the BA lounge? Is this the best OW lounge at BOS?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Are you flying domestically or internationally?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Domestic

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.