Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2017)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, but in your departure terminal Terminal 4,not your T-4S arrival terminal, as long as you’re arriving in MAD and departing the same day or by 0600.
Thanks, looks like the lounge in T4 will be under renovation at that time. Guess I will have to try priority pass options.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tphuang
I will be flying into Madrid airport with AA on business class in January and thinking of getting a y ticket to Granada via IB. Will I get lounge access for the second flight? I don't see any OneWorld arrival lounge, so I'm assuming that's not possible.

It seems like I should be able to if I'm PLT or EXP?
Possible based on status, not otherwise
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Lima - Miami on AA Bunsiness class - Lounge access?

Departure 11pm. Gold on AA. Thoughts? Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think you have one choice.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/LIM/-1

I was there Dec 2015 I remember it being okay. Small sandwiches etc to eat nice bar along the back wall. It was pretty crowded. I believe there is an outdoor space.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Andrew Wang
Departure 11pm. Gold on AA. Thoughts? Thanks a lot!
Gold on AA doesn’t allow Lounge access; oneworld Business on a qualifying international flight does. Iirc, you’ll get a lounge invite at check-in. In any case, AA, BA and IB use the Sumaq (“beautiful” in Kechwa / Runasimi) Lounge.

Access: Business Class / First Class / Sapphire Tier / Emerald Tier
Location: Main Terminal / 1st Floor / Near Duty Free Shop / After Security
Opening Hours: Daily: 24 Hours
Sumaq isn’t really beautiful, but it’s OK, albeit sometimes very crowded. Read more here.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I asked this somewhere but can't figure out where but I am flying ORD-PIT-LAX-PEK with an overnight in LAX. I was a little concerned about flagship lounge access as LAX-PEK is technically not the same day, but had absolutely no issues getting in the ORD Flagship lounge..

Very nice lounge overall - solid by business class standards.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Flying HKG-LAX in Business with Cathay, then ORD-LAX in Economy on American. Any chance of getting lounge access in LAX? I don't think so myself but just checking...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
Flying HKG-LAX in Business with Cathay, then ORD-LAX in Economy on American. Any chance of getting lounge access in LAX? I don't think so myself but just checking...
If you mean LAX-ORD (not ORD-LAX) following your HKG-LAX flight, then yes, as long as the LAX-ORD flight is on the same day, or before 6:00 AM the following day. Also, if you're an AA EXP (per your profile), you'll have access to the Qantas First Lounge which is located in the TBIT. Highly recommend.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
How strict is the 6:00 A.M. following day rule? I have had two instances now where I had an overnight after my international flight, and I was still granted lounge access on my connecting domestic flight (which left after 6:00 A.M.). I just presented the lounge dragon my boarding pass for the connecting domestic flight, which was on the same PNR as my international flight. Leads me to believe that as long as the domestic connecting flight is on the same record as the international leg and considered part of the same leg of the trip (i.e., part of the inbound/outbound), then it doesn't matter if the connecting domestic flight is after 6:00 A.M. on the following day. In both of these instances I had lounge access based on cabin of service and elite status (AA EXP), so not sure if the rules are different for one or the other.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
How strict is the 6:00 A.M. following day rule? I have had two instances now where I had an overnight after my international flight, and I was still granted lounge access on my connecting domestic flight (which left after 6:00 A.M.). I just presented the lounge dragon my boarding pass for the connecting domestic flight, which was on the same PNR as my international flight. Leads me to believe that as long as the domestic connecting flight is on the same record as the international leg and considered part of the same leg of the trip (i.e., part of the inbound/outbound), then it doesn't matter if the connecting domestic flight is after 6:00 A.M. on the following day. In both of these instances I had lounge access based on cabin of service and elite status (AA EXP), so not sure if the rules are different for one or the other.
No knowing for sure, but I suspect an AA agent would be more lenient if accessing an AA lounge, since they are not having to pay some other lounge for access. However, if trying to access another OW Lounge as an AA EXP and not meeting the 6:00 AM rule could cause that lounge issues collecting the lounge access fee from AA, so they might be stricter in abiding to the OW rules.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
No knowing for sure, but I suspect an AA agent would be more lenient if accessing an AA lounge, since they are not having to pay some other lounge for access. However, if trying to access another OW Lounge as an AA EXP and not meeting the 6:00 AM rule could cause that lounge issues collecting the lounge access fee from AA, so they might be stricter in abiding to the OW rules.
Both of these were AA lounges, but I don't think it was an agent being lenient, as the person simply scanned my boarding pass and let me in. No explanations--or showing my boarding pass for the international segment--needed.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat
As AA Plat do I get lounge access at JFK if I fly JFK-YVR on CX Y?
I literally do 6 of these per year so it's kind of important
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by ueutyi
Yes
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ueutyi
No, because YVR is part of the North America region for AA, which excludes lounge access as an AA EXP due to status.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
No, because YVR is part of the North America region for AA, which excludes lounge access as an AA EXP due to status.
But if CX issues lounge invitation (CX probably does), then one can just use that to enter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.