Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2017)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by traveler18
LAX-MEX (Mexico City - which is treated as International - but less than 5 hours)
I have paid Business Class fare.
I have Emerald Status from Cathay Pacific & Lifetime Gold from AA
No longer have Prestige Card (cancelled it a few months ago).

Issue is I will have two traveling companions (one under 18).

Can I guest one based on the business fare (AA pays) and another one based on Emerald Status (CX pays) either at Admirals, Flagship or Qantas?
Where do you see that a J passenger gets a guest? The AA lounge access page says that only intl F gets a guest (with regard to class of service, ignoring status).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Where do you see that a J passenger gets a guest? The AA lounge access page says that only intl F gets a guest (with regard to class of service, ignoring status).
You are right - no guest for business class on AA (they don't offer F on the route).
I also see they no longer sell day pass in LAX as is under construction.

CX Diamond members may bring two guests to the lounge when they are travelling together on Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon or a oneworld airline, but I do not know if that would apply to the Qantas operated lounge or only CX owned lounges.

It looks like I can use the KAL lounge in Bradley with 2 guest using Priority Plus (have two memberships one from AMEX and one from CHASE)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If the OP were flying LAX-PPT in J then they could access that lounge...however as this is the other way around (PPT-LAX), there will be no access at LAX. Since TN is not oneworld there's no access to any of the AC's or TBIT oneworld lounges either, as mentioned above.
Originally Posted by JDiver
You will not be granted access to the LAX TBIT International Lounge as you are arriving, not departing, on TN; TN will not give you a lounge pass as an arriving passenger.
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think you'll have to use the Los Angeles International Lounge
Thank you both for the correction! For some reason, I was interpreting the itinerary as going in the opposite direction, and flying out of LAX.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
Transcon Lounge Access

Flying MIA-LAX on the 77W in Biz. I am Plat, husband Exp. Do we have lounge access in either city?

Also what access between LAX-JFK?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HospitalityGrad
Flying MIA-LAX on the 77W in Biz. I am Plat, husband Exp. Do we have lounge access in either city?

Also what access between LAX-JFK?

Thanks!
As EP, you (husband's guest) and your husband can access the Admirals Clubs in MIA (the Flagship Lounge if it was open). Also the Club because you're in Business Class on a three class transcontinental flight. As Platinum, you would have Admirals Clubs access. (The rules for Flagship Lounge access will be changing sometime this year, to include trans on three class Business passengers.)

In LAX, same rules. But... you might think of checking in a bit earlier than normal and visiting the oneworld / Qantas First Class lounge in the Tim Bradley International Terminal (connected airside to AA T-4) for some Champagne and a nice meal.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
As EP, you (husband's guest) and your husband can access the Admirals Clubs in MIA (the Flagship Lounge if it was open). Also the Club because you're in Business Class on a three class transcontinental flight. As Platinum, you would have Admirals Clubs access. (The rules for Flagship Lounge access will be changing sometime this year, to include trans on three class Business passengers.)

In LAX, same rules. But... you might think of checking in a bit earlier than normal and visiting the oneworld / Qantas First Class lounge in the Tim Bradley International Terminal (connected airside to AA T-4) for some Champagne and a nice meal.
Thank you very much JDiver. I forgot they are creating a flagship in MIA!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Just to clarify...for the 3-class transcons on AA metal, AA status plays no part in what lounge you can access. If you're in Business you can access the Admirals Clubs at either end, and if you're in First then the Flagship Lounges. EXP or PLT doesn't matter.

So in this case, by virtue of their MIA-LAX segment in J, both passengers can use the Admirals Clubs in MIA or LAX, but not the Flagship Lounge in LAX (or MIA if it was open). Same for the return, AC's in LAX or JFK and the oneworld J lounge in TBIT, but not the Qantas F lounge (assuming LAX-JFK is in J).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:35 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hiima
I'm pretty sure air Tahiti isn't OW. If I'm correct, then no lounge access.
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think you'll have to use the Los Angeles International Lounge, which is an adequate lounge, but unfortunately not anything like the OneWorld Lounge at LAX. Air Tahiti Nui uses the Los Angeles International Lounge, and is not a member of OneWorld. Your YVR connection unfortunately won't qualify you, either

The upside is that the TBIT is a beautiful facility, and if you find the lounge inadequate, there are plenty of great dining options there. You might be able to ask the check-in agent for a meal voucher?
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If the OP were flying LAX-PPT in J then they could access that lounge...however as this is the other way around (PPT-LAX), there will be no access at LAX. Since TN is not oneworld there's no access to any of the AC's or TBIT oneworld lounges either, as mentioned above.
You will have access to the Salon Manuhiri International lounge at PPT. As TN is not a oneworld airline and you will not be arriving on an eligible flight and you are departing on a North American non-transcon three class flight, you will not be eligible to access any AA or oneworld Lounge at LAX (unless you are able to purchase a day pass, which may not be available at LAX due to refurbishment).

You will not be granted access to the LAX TBIT International Lounge as you are arriving, not departing, on TN; TN will not give you a lounge pass as an arriving passenger.
Thanks hilma, DMPHL, JJeffrey and JDiver for helping me manage the intricacies of this one. Sounds like a rental car and a trip to Manhattan Beach instead for the 8 hour layover!!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by MauiOC
Great tip. First time I've ever had to cancel within a few hours of booking and I'll follow this. Thank you.
Just a reference point. Cancelled at 11AM on a Tuesday and refund hit by 12PM on Thursday. Credit pending on my card as of Friday and posted on Saturday. Pleased with the 72-hour turnaround. ^

That said, the "refund status" never showed up on the AA site after I entered my refund request. So, no way of knowing if it was actually being processed or what the timeline was going to be.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:41 am

LAX and PPT Questions

Sorry if this has been answered but here goes.

Have reward flights booked LAX-PPT and then PPT-LAX. 2 seats in business in each direction and 2 in coach. We are flying from NYC but I can't, thus far, get any reward seats from JFK-LAX. This is for July. As it gets closer I may have to bite the bullet and purchase the JFK-LAX leg.

If I do find award availability from JFK-LAX for 2 in business and 2 in coach am I correct that we will have lounge access at JFK and that we can guest in the 2 that are flying with us in coach??

In LAX at the TBIT what lounge can we access since we are flying LAX-PPT in business. Also, can we guest in the other two into this lounge.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flightmedic
Sorry if this has been answered but here goes.

Have reward flights booked LAX-PPT and then PPT-LAX. 2 seats in business in each direction and 2 in coach. We are flying from NYC but I can't, thus far, get any reward seats from JFK-LAX. This is for July. As it gets closer I may have to bite the bullet and purchase the JFK-LAX leg.

Don't wait too long - fares will reach their nadir but then begin to climb as the lowest fare tranches get taken up - mid-summer.

If I do find award availability from JFK-LAX for 2 in business and 2 in coach am I correct that we will have lounge access at JFK and that we can guest in the 2 that are flying with us in coach??

Yes. Or not, if you find (easier) availability for connecting flights rather than the more convenient but scarcer A321T nonstops.

In LAX at the TBIT what lounge can we access since we are flying LAX-PPT in business. Also, can we guest in the other two into this lounge.

TN will issue you invitations to the lounge they're using that day, but generally not guest invitations for others not flying Poerava Business.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:22 pm

On what basis would the 2 in J get to guest in the 2 in Y? Per the lounge access page, TCON passengers don't get guests, regardless of class.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by flightmedic

Business class passengers are not entitled to invite guests into lounges.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Cancel Within 24 Hours Or By The Following Day By 11:59 PM?

Do I have to cancel and request refund within exactly 24 hours from when the ticket was issued, OR do I have until the following evening @ 11:59 PM?

I was told I have until 11:59 PM the next day by Platinum line, but web site says within 24 hours.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by chix
Do I have to cancel and request refund within exactly 24 hours from when the ticket was issued, OR do I have until the following evening @ 11:59 PM?

I was told I have until 11:59 PM the next day by Platinum line, but web site says within 24 hours.
I was told 11:59PM the following day as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.