Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2017 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
Flying LAX-SEA departure 4:47pm in a few weeks time and reservation says "dinner". No online reservation available so I assume that this option isn't there for American Eagle regional flights? Does anyone know what kind of dinner I can expect- do I still get to choose between two but on the flight? Is it similar stuff from the main line airline or is it some toned down version? Flight duration is 2h 53m so I would think there's definitely a proper meal, hope I'm not wrong there...
Expect an "adequate" meal. All on one tray.

Probably choice of wrap sandwich or enhanced salad. Some type of side dish. Dessert. Chilled, not hot.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Flying CUN-PHX in a few weeks with a Preselect choice of:

Vegetarian Skewers with grilled peppers, onions, tomatoes, panela cheese and couscous
OR
Amaranth Crusted Sea Bass with roasted bell pepper sauce, potato and pumpkin squash purée and sautéed spinach

Any recent interactions with either choice? Both of these are new options for me. Thinking the fish might not be a great idea, but thought I would inquire. Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Flying CUN-PHX in a few weeks with a Preselect choice of:

Vegetarian Skewers with grilled peppers, onions, tomatoes, panela cheese and couscous
OR
Amaranth Crusted Sea Bass with roasted bell pepper sauce, potato and pumpkin squash purée and sautéed spinach

Any recent interactions with either choice? Both of these are new options for me. Thinking the fish might not be a great idea, but thought I would inquire. Thanks!
Except for one "dry" piece of salmon that accompanied a salad, I've consistently enjoyed the fish selections on AA (unlike the beef).
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
Expect an "adequate" meal. All on one tray.
Probably choice of wrap sandwich or enhanced salad. Some type of side dish. Dessert. Chilled, not hot.
Okay- that doesn't sound too bad. Will be good enough for a less than 3 hour flight.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by jcatman
Except for one "dry" piece of salmon that accompanied a salad, I've consistently enjoyed the fish selections on AA (unlike the beef).
jcatman, thanks. I too tend to find the fish to be much better on AA than the beef; a few too many hockey pucks and 'lobster' mac and cheese dishes... We shall see if the notorious catering ex-CUN continues to live up the hype
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:52 am

SEA to DFW in mid August:
Enchiladas
Stuffed with queso fresco, Monterey Jack cheese and caramelized onion in a red chile sauce
OR
Saffron Orzo Salad
With baby squash, haricots verts, piquillo peppers and a side of chilled shrimp

DFW to MCO on the same day:
Herbes de Provence Chicken Breast
With mushroom risotto and haricots verts
OR
Poblano Relleno
four cheese blend, piquillo crema, cilantro rice

Given that I LOVE both airline food and US-American cuisine generally (I'll finish off my trip in Texas just for the BBQ) and don't get to fly in the US more than once a year (if I'm lucky), these meal choices are super important to me. As a result I got really nervous just now when I finally saw my options (firstworldproblems and only ever so slightly nerdy, I know ). Actually very happy given that I am allergic to seafood and not the biggest fan of healthy choices, especially not when on holidays!

So on the first flight, given I can't eat shrimps I am clearly going for the enchiladas which sound awesome. Anyone had those recently- are they as good as they sound?

On the second flight, I actually find both appealing but always find chicken breast on the rather dry side on airplanes and I do vaguely remember that people here liked the stuffed peppers in all their cheesy goodness so I'll be going for the latter.

More meals to chose from in a couple of days and I promise to post pictures up here once I'm back. I always take pictures of ll my airline meals- also only slightly nerdy

Last edited by Sydneyberlin; Jul 24, 2017 at 2:54 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

OR
Poblano Relleno

On the second flight, I actually find both appealing but always find chicken breast on the rather dry side on airplanes and I do vaguely remember that people here liked the stuffed peppers in all their cheesy goodness so I'll be going for the latter.
The chicken dish has been around for a while 2-3 yrs, the Poblano's is good and has a kick. I'm sure this would be more to your licking...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
SEA to DFW in mid August:
Enchiladas
Stuffed with queso fresco, Monterey Jack cheese and caramelized onion in a red chile sauce
OR
Saffron Orzo Salad
With baby squash, haricots verts, piquillo peppers and a side of chilled shrimp

OR
Poblano Relleno

Given that I LOVE both airline food and US-American cuisine generally (I'll finish off my trip in Texas just for the BBQ) and don't get to fly in the US more than once a year (if I'm lucky), these meal choices are super important to me. As a result I got really nervous just now when I finally saw my options (firstworldproblems and only ever so slightly nerdy, I know ). Actually very happy given that I am allergic to seafood and not the biggest fan of healthy choices, especially not when on holidays!

So on the first flight, given I can't eat shrimps I am clearly going for the enchiladas which sound awesome. Anyone had those recently- are they as good as they sound?

More meals to chose from in a couple of days and I promise to post pictures up here once I'm back. I always take pictures of ll my airline meals- also only slightly nerdy
I think the Enchiladas are pretty darn good!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The chicken dish has been around for a while 2-3 yrs, the Poblano's is good and has a kick. I'm sure this would be more to your licking...
I thought I might have had that chicken dish a year or so ago and found it extremely dry. Definitely going for the Poblano then, if it has a kick even better! Thanks for the advice
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by PDXAA
I think the Enchiladas are pretty darn good!
Thanks for that- I already get super excited hearing you say that
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Recently flew JFK --> SFO for breakfast in J and had a surprisingly good grilled breakfast burrito! The other options were chicken & waffles and the standard oatmeal option. This is a HUGE improvement from the disgusting cream cheese omelette and strawberry rhubarb they used to serve
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy

Also, Voodoo Ranger IPA is being added to the beer selections. Replacing two Bud Lights in the beer drawers. ^
Fantastic! Best news I've heard in a while.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
CUN-DFW, July 2017
Mexican Lasagna
With tortillas, carrots, zucchini and corn

I actually liked this. It wasn't amazing, but it was quite good. The salad with jicama had a nice crunch, with Italian dressing, and the Pina Colada flan/custard/whatever with grilled pineapple was really tasty!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chrisny2
CUN-DFW, July 2017
Mexican Lasagna
With tortillas, carrots, zucchini and corn

I actually liked this. It wasn't amazing, but it was quite good. The salad with jicama had a nice crunch, with Italian dressing, and the Pina Colada flan/custard/whatever with grilled pineapple was really tasty!
I've had this variant of the vegetarian lasagna; if I recall, I liked it as well. Too many overcooked fish sides, desiccated chicken breasts, and beef pucks...been finding myself gravitating towards the pasta dishes more these days.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:33 am

CLT to AUS in a couple of weeks, lunchtime flight:

Lasagna
With sweet and hot pepper crema and summer squash

OR

Greek Salad
With cucumbers, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, feta cheese, onion, pepperoncini and a side of grilled chicken

I must say both sound really tasty, any suggestions from people who had any of these? I think I am going with the lasagna- would this be a meat or a vegetarian lasagna, it doesn't really specify? And the squash, would this be as a side or somehow mashed into the lasagna?

Greek salad is usually one of my favourites but that side of cold chicken which seems to come with the salads these days looks everything but appealing in pictures I see here. All the pasta dishes look pretty decent from what I can see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.