Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2017 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:11 pm

Well as luck would have it, my attempt to be a bit daring and pre-ordering the Poblano Relleno for my flight yesterday (plus I really just couldn't do another blah chicken breast) didn't quite pan out as it seems there was a last minute catering swap and ended up with vegetarian lasagna. This might have had something to do with the hour and fifteen minute delay due to a leaky coffee maker, but one never knows!

Now I may be splitting hairs here, but when I hear vegetarian lasagna, I tend to think of layers including eggplant, perhaps some spinach, etc. but according to AA, that translates to pasta and cheese nuked in an orange colored sauce with two pieces of charred squash on the side... ah wait, I see what they're doing (silly me), it's a high-end gourmet deconstructed vegetarian lasagna!

Truthfully it wasn't horrible albeit a bit bland... I just think they should rename for what it is - a basic cheese lasagna and call it a day.

Now I'm sure I'll get flamed for this BUT... please please PLEASE can AA get rid of these silly warmed cookies as dessert? I've always thought they were such a messy and poor choice when you think of all the greasiness, dripping melted chocolate, etc. and the fact that they're "finger food". Ok, yes it may only be domestic first but are we not worthy of a dessert we can eat with a fork in a humane and dignified manner?!

Anywho... next round appears to be a choice between: another (bland) grilled chicken breast w/ cous cous or the cheese cappelletti which I've yet to try... looks like pasta it will be!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by pmanchuk
Well as luck would have it, my attempt to be a bit daring and pre-ordering the Poblano Relleno for my flight yesterday (plus I really just couldn't do another blah chicken breast) didn't quite pan out as it seems there was a last minute catering swap and ended up with vegetarian lasagna. This might have had something to do with the hour and fifteen minute delay due to a leaky coffee maker, but one never knows!

Now I may be splitting hairs here, but when I hear vegetarian lasagna, I tend to think of layers including eggplant, perhaps some spinach, etc. but according to AA, that translates to pasta and cheese nuked in an orange colored sauce with two pieces of charred squash on the side... ah wait, I see what they're doing (silly me), it's a high-end gourmet deconstructed vegetarian lasagna!

Truthfully it wasn't horrible albeit a bit bland... I just think they should rename for what it is - a basic cheese lasagna and call it a day.

Now I'm sure I'll get flamed for this BUT... please please PLEASE can AA get rid of these silly warmed cookies as dessert? I've always thought they were such a messy and poor choice when you think of all the greasiness, dripping melted chocolate, etc. and the fact that they're "finger food". Ok, yes it may only be domestic first but are we not worthy of a dessert we can eat with a fork in a humane and dignified manner?!

Anywho... next round appears to be a choice between: another (bland) grilled chicken breast w/ cous cous or the cheese cappelletti which I've yet to try... looks like pasta it will be!
Interesting
On my flight from PIT to PHX on the 19th, FA thought she had the Poblano Pepper dish but discovered it was lasagna when it came out of the oven.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LMB01
Interesting
On my flight from PIT to PHX on the 19th, FA thought she had the Poblano Pepper dish but discovered it was lasagna when it came out of the oven.
Unless the caters did not load the menu card to give a description of the meals you had a lazy FA.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Meal Strategy

Here's what I've been doing at select airports, such as DFW, MIA, LAX, SFO:

1. Arrive early to airport, or if making connection, allow extra time in itinerary. Adding an extra hour or two between flights often results in fewer missed connections and less stress, in my experience.

2. Visit Centurion Lounge or United Club, burning some calories if that involves a considerable walk. Eat and drink in a chair, as seating is actually available.

3. Board AA aircraft. Enjoy PDB (chances are 50/50 you'll get a proper one).

4. In the air, accept beverage of choice and warmed nuts. Request refill of nuts. Request second Woodford Whiskey.

5. Skip the meal. Skip the drama. Skip the disappointment.

6. Arrive at destination, smiling.

I have no expectation that the catering on AA planes will improve anytime soon. So, when possible, I go to Plan B. No regrets.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by jcatman
Here's what I've been doing at select airports, such as DFW, MIA, LAX, SFO:

1. Arrive early to airport, or if making connection, allow extra time in itinerary. Adding an extra hour or two between flights often results in fewer missed connections and less stress, in my experience.

2. Visit Centurion Lounge or United Club, burning some calories if that involves a considerable walk. Eat and drink in a chair, as seating is actually available.

3. Board AA aircraft. Enjoy PDB (chances are 50/50 you'll get a proper one).

4. In the air, accept beverage of choice and warmed nuts. Request refill of nuts. Request second Woodford Whiskey.

6. Arrive at destination, smiling.

I have no expectation that the catering on AA planes will improve anytime soon. So, when possible, I go to Plan B. No regrets.
Wow...nuts
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:40 am

You have to skip the meal with that itinerary or run 6 miles before you go to the airport! That's pushing 800 calories in just nuts and Bourbon not counting the crap one could potentially eat in the lounges.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
You have to skip the meal with that itinerary or run 6 miles before you go to the airport! That's pushing 800 calories in just nuts and Bourbon not counting the crap one could potentially eat in the lounges.
Let's total up the calories in the pretzel roll, the lasagna or the risotto, and the ice cream on that plane.

Some people can comfortably control the portions they eat in the lounge.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:30 am

Let's total up the calories in the pretzel roll, the lasagna or the risotto, and the ice cream on that plane.

Some people can comfortably control the portions they eat in the lounge.
Oh I agree. It's all nasty and I rarely touch any of it, including "comfortable portions" of lounge food.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Oh I agree. It's all nasty and I rarely touch any of it, including "comfortable portions" of lounge food.
Have you been to a Centurion Lounge? Their greens and salad offerings make it easy to eat healthy and smart.

Last edited by jcatman; Jul 28, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by LMB01
Interesting
Flew MIA-JFK yesterday. Was supposed to have the Poblano Pepper dish, but they had catered the vegetarian lasagne, which was basically a cheese lasagne.

On an earlier SJU-MIA flight yesterday, I had pre-ordered the beef medallion with couscous, and it was fine. Not a fine cut of beef, but edible. And the couscous was interesting (once it cooled down enough not to burn my tongue -- I suspect the beef and couscous were heated at the same time and should not have been).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ysolde
Flew MIA-JFK yesterday. Was supposed to have the Poblano Pepper dish, but they had catered the vegetarian lasagne, which was basically a cheese lasagne.

On an earlier SJU-MIA flight yesterday, I had pre-ordered the beef medallion with couscous, and it was fine. Not a fine cut of beef, but edible. And the couscous was interesting (once it cooled down enough not to burn my tongue -- I suspect the beef and couscous were heated at the same time and should not have been).
Isn't every non-transcon domestic first class entre pre-plated in a foil-covered casserole (or what we now usually call bowl/plate) all heated at the same time? Aside from garnishes and things like the breakfast sandwiches where they have a foil-wrapped component to plate on a cold plate, I haven't seen a one-dish pre-plated entre where the components heated separately.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:50 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Meal in TCON MCE

Is this a new thing? I had a choice between a wrap or a cheese plate.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Is this a new thing? I had a choice between a wrap or a cheese plate.
Yes.....

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cabin-food.jsp
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Does anyone know why MIA-LAX isn't included with free food in main cabin? Given it's treated as one of their 'premium' transcons, it's strange this route was left off
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Does anyone know why MIA-LAX isn't included with free food in main cabin? Given it's treated as one of their 'premium' transcons, it's strange this route was left off
AA has no meaningful competition on that route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.