Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2017 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here. Beginning August 1st the warmed on board cookies will be supplied by the same company the does the cookies for DoubleTree hotels. Chocolate chip and Snickerdoodle remain the flavors.

Also, Voodoo Ranger IPA is being added to the beer selections. Replacing two Bud Lights in the beer drawers. ^
Nice updates, thanks for reporting! ^
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
AA1634 DEN-LAX
A319/2B
7:00 a.m/2:45/Breakfast
July 2017

PDBs offered. Breakfast sandwich - egg, Canadian bacon and Swiss cheese on focaccia. Cherry tomatoes/lettuce on the side. Served with fruit (red grapes, strawberry, pineapple, orange and kiwi) and a choice from the bread basket (biscuit, croissant or cinnamon roll) and butter/strawberry preserves. The other choice was Cheerios/milk, Greek yogurt and the same fruit bowl/bread choice. Nice breakfast on this "exception" flight, certainly as good as what UA serves. DL does not serve meals on this route, just the snack basket.

We landed at LAX 45 minutes early but had no gate and took the grand tour; the door opened five minutes early anyway.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:37 am

AA1633 LAX-DEN
A319/2A
7:20 p.m/2:25/Dinner
July 2017

PDBs offered; warm nuts to accompany the Jean-Louis sparkling wine. Not overly sweet; the split was enough for two glasses. Hot towels followed.

Chicken with vegetables was my choice. Grilled chicken breast with a smear of pesto on top, green beans, kalamata olives and cherry tomatoes. The chicken was fine; this was a carb-haters dream! Salad with a lettuce mix and sliced radishes and olive oil/vinegar dressing and a pass from the bread basket (sourdough [my choice], wheat or cheese)/butter completed the meal. The other choice was a vegetarian curry with vegetables and couscous. I did not see it served in my row.

After dinner warm, chocolate chip cookies appeared, along with a coffee/Bailey's. A generous double was a nice touch (the second one went in my bag). Very nice service.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
Very nice service.
Great reports. Looks like you were treated well outbound and return. Congrats to AA.^
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K
... this was a carb-haters dream! ...
i might be the minority with this but I appreciate AA serving protein-heavy / carb-less entrees. When adding the bread and dessert, this meal does not end up being very carb heavy like 99% of all airline meals.

I wish more airlines served more hot carb-less entrees.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:32 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
JFK-SFO in J

Smoked salmon appetizer was very generous. Was barely able to finish it. I'm a fan of the carrot miso salad dressing.

Had the mahi mahi - piping hot and not overcooked! ^

Sauce was a bit the heavy side and barley fried rice was just weird.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
warm nuts to accompany the Jean-Louis sparkling wine. Not overly sweet; the split was enough for two glasses.
Is that a relatively new sparkling wine option for domestic? If so, looks like an actual improvement. I don't seem to recall it being offered in the past (although its been months since I've ordered sparking wine domestically).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Is that a relatively new sparkling wine option for domestic? If so, looks like an actual improvement. I don't seem to recall it being offered in the past (although its been months since I've ordered sparking wine domestically).

-FlyerBeek
Haven't personally seen it on AA so I would assume it's relatively new. It's definitely not an improvement though. A local bar pours this as its well sparkling and it's absolute crap. More than two glasses and you'll regret your decision.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i might be the minority with this but I appreciate AA serving protein-heavy / carb-less entrees. When adding the bread and dessert, this meal does not end up being very carb heavy like 99% of all airline meals.

I wish more airlines served more hot carb-less entrees.
Me too. Some of us are on carb restricted diets. And unfortunately AA's diabetic meal is too carb heavy for a diabetic.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
It is indeed a different option than the last one. Personally I thought the previous option was really sweet so this is an improvement for my taste buds.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:19 am

Being a "blanc de blancs" this sparkling wine will be on the drier side.

You can even buy it for $3.49 a bottle. I wouldn't hesitate to take some on a picnic or to an outdoor concert.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I've never actually been served a bottle of the sparkling wine whist in my seat. Then again, I usually for a mimosa on my early morning connecting flights for vacation, so the FA just brings it in a glass to my seat. It seems to be a popular early morning drink on vacation flights as they tend to run out of the sparkling wine pretty quickly. In fact, there was none at all avail on my CUN-CLT flight earlier this month as it had all been consumed on the incoming CLT-CUN flight.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by lds89
Pumped about the IPAs. Perfect to go after once the Woodford runs out
Hope you aren't on a flight I'm on because they'll be gone already :P
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Flying LAX-SEA departure 4:47pm in a few weeks time and reservation says "dinner". No online reservation available so I assume that this option isn't there for American Eagle regional flights? Does anyone know what kind of dinner I can expect- do I still get to choose between two but on the flight? Is it similar stuff from the main line airline or is it some toned down version? Flight duration is 2h 53m so I would think there's definitely a proper meal, hope I'm not wrong there...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by DCAstudent
It is indeed a different option than the last one. Personally I thought the previous option was really sweet so this is an improvement for my taste buds.
Thanks for reporting back. Definitely something to look forward to trying.

Being a "blanc de blancs" this sparkling wine will be on the drier side.
Technically speaking, the fact that it's classified as brut is what makes it on the drier side. There are sweeter Blanc de Blancs styles at Extra Dry, Sec, Demi Sec, and even the Doux levels of sweetness. Being a "blanc de blancs" simply means it's produced only from white grapes (typically from Chardonnay in the case of Champagne).

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.