Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68

nope, BE not eligible for upgrades.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

Restrictions

A ticket gets you a seat in Main Cabin, with restrictions:
  • 1 item that fits under the seat in front of you (no access to overhead bins)*
  • Seats assigned at check-in
  • Fees to choose a specific seat
  • Not eligible for upgrades
  • No flight changes or refunds
  • Board in last group*
Thanks for the link and the quick response.
Whodunit68 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by melrowgo
Thanks for the link and the quick response.
a happy to. I hope this is the info you were looking for.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68

a happy to. I hope this is the info you were looking for.
Unfortunately, it was.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
If an AA elite member books a domestic codeshare flight operated by AA but marketed by AS (i.e. AS flight number, AA metal), is that member still eligible for 500-mile upgrades?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Ent PLT
Originally Posted by Howard
If an AA elite member books a domestic codeshare flight operated by AA but marketed by AS (i.e. AS flight number, AA metal), is that member still eligible for 500-mile upgrades?
I am not 100% positive on this answer but I do not believe that you can use 500-mile upgrades if your reservation has a AS flight number. Per the terms and conditions they are valid on flights marketed and operated by AA.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tommy Two Thumbs
I am not 100% positive on this answer but I do not believe that you can use 500-mile upgrades if your reservation has a AS flight number. Per the terms and conditions they are valid on flights marketed and operated by AA.
you are correct. More about 500 mile upgrades on https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Mileage Credit for AS Flight #

Hoping one of the experts can tell me what this means. On 10/29 I flew from PDX-SFO, AS ticket/AS flight #/operated by VX/AAdvantage # in reservation and on boarding pass.
Didn't post, so filed a claim on 12/09. Today I got this in an e-mail:

And this is what I see in my account:

So, is it pending, rejected, or maybe stuck, and is VX having operated the flight the issue?

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, Ent PLT
You are correct. You are not able to earn miles on flights operated by VX. In your case the flight was marketed by AS but operated by VX. Sorry.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Need help on becoming proficient on the excellent AA spreadsheet by BRP (and others)

I have downloaded AAMILESTRACKER 1.9 - the excellent work by BRP(and others). I am not great at this stuff but am interested in learning whatever I need to to make a go of this amazing tool. I don't normally use spreadsheets but am willing to learn what I need to do. If someone could give me some pointers on the basics of making this spreadsheet "my own " I would so appreciate it. My end goal is to logically track and, also plan my travel this year in the hopes that I can make ExPlat for some part of 2018 and then for 2019. I have been close so many times and not within reach a few more. I was able to wing it in the past with estimating EQM but now with EQD's I have decide to figure it out once and for all.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by garkster
Hoping one of the experts can tell me what this means. On 10/29 I flew from PDX-SFO, AS ticket/AS flight #/operated by VX/AAdvantage # in reservation and on boarding pass.
Didn't post, so filed a claim on 12/09. Today I got this in an e-mail: <snip>

And this is what I see in my account: <snip>

So, is it pending, rejected, or maybe stuck, and is VX having operated the flight the issue?

Thanks.
Alaska operated by Virgin America doesn’t count for AAdvantage accrual.
Tommy Two Thumbs likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Tommy Two Thumbs
You are correct. You are not able to earn miles on flights operated by VX. In your case the flight was marketed by AS but operated by VX. Sorry.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Alaska operated by Virgin America doesn’t count for AAdvantage accrual.
Thanks folks.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
If you have this approach and beliefs, beat to just let them expire and move on to other carriers.

We have moved on, actually moved back to United with over 800,000 miles lifetime for me. Tossing the miles is tempting but we do have to go to Vegas in July so why not use the miles to cover one way? I figure if we just do carry on bags they can't steal anything....

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. I guess I need to settle on my outbound travel date for July and make some plans.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:14 pm

AA Award Upgrade

In the past I have read it was free to upgrade from economy to business award tickets for no fee, is that still the case? For example, booking an economy award for 40k, and then calling in and upgrading it to business for 30k more miles.

In addition, can I change from one partner to another partner if origin and destination stay the same. I'm worried about a short (2 hr) connection in Amman for TLV>AMM>JFK (all on RJ). If the first flight is delayed, will I potentially be able to rebook via Europe in Amman, or even before departing TLV?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EP
2 hours is more than enough time to connect in AMM.

If therebis is an issue, RJ will be responsible for working out how to get u to JFK

Originally Posted by bosflyer93
In the past I have read it was free to upgrade from economy to business award tickets for no fee, is that still the case? For example, booking an economy award for 40k, and then calling in and upgrading it to business for 30k more miles.

In addition, can I change from one partner to another partner if origin and destination stay the same. I'm worried about a short (2 hr) connection in Amman for TLV>AMM>JFK (all on RJ). If the first flight is delayed, will I potentially be able to rebook via Europe in Amman, or even before departing TLV?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bosflyer93

Thanks!
no to both. You cannot change the airline or the award type for free (unless EXP)
  • For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type
  • Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage awards than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement fee, and a new award ticket issued
That said, people have had luck calling and moving from milesaver Y to J and having the fees waived. So, it is worth a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.