Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by klapka
I am confused about lounge access at LAX. If I fly LAX/MIA in first/business do I have lounge access? The info on this site says I do, but the AA website says LAX/JFK only.
Access is allowed if you are travelling in First or Business on a three class trans-continental flight and the MIA route is now served only be two class equipment.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Perhaps the type of Citi AAdvantage Card makes a difference? I know the Platinum World Select Card, for example, does cover the Caribbean:
You need to read the fine print:

"Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on domestic itineraries marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on itineraries marketed by American Airlines and operated as American Eagle® flights by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., Air Wisconsin Airline Corp., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Trans States Airlines, LLC. All flights on the itinerary must be domestic flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle® carriers."
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT 5MM
How To Earn 20K Miles on One-Way to Middle East?

I'm booked on RJ flight from ORD-AMM-DXB later this week using an award, but I'm about 20K miles short of PLT PRO for this year and thinking of buying a biz class ticket for 3x miles on this trip. Is there a lower cost way to get 20K miles (it's about $8K for biz class). I can fly through AMM, AUH or DOH.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jelarv
I'm booked on RJ flight from ORD-AMM-DXB later this week using an award, but I'm about 20K miles short of PLT PRO for this year and thinking of buying a biz class ticket for 3x miles on this trip. Is there a lower cost way to get 20K miles (it's about $8K for biz class). I can fly through AMM, AUH or DOH.
20k EQM for a one-way to the middle east will be quite a stretch. In order to credit at 3x (or 2x) EQM you need to book an AA marketed flight, so your options will be more limited. And 3x EQM requires full fare F or J, so naturally these fares will be very, very expensive.

Even going the long way on CX in business ORD-HKG-DXB will only net you around 17k EQM. I see dates where one-ways are around $6k for this routing.

Personally I would never spend even $3k or $4k to get PLT Pro. The biggest benefit to PLT Pro is the unlimited domestic upgrades, but depending on your flying patterns you can easily just buy up to First class on lots of your flights for that kind of money.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jelarv
I would never unnecessarily spend $8k - or anything close to that - for any type of status on AA.

If spending that kind of money to get to the Middle East, then I would want to be at a minimum in Business class on EK or EY, or possibly even F for a bit more money.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 18, 2017 at 10:20 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:30 am

Any idea when the VIP will upgrade from Y to PE only and not to J ,?
AFAIK there is not date yet, however do you believe that it'll happen in 2018 ?

By the way, beside the Flounge and the 4 VIP (difficult to redeem in advance), Is there any interest of being an EXP with a 10.500 EQD ?, ( as you'll always be the last EXP on the waiting list)
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CGRA
By the way, beside the Flounge and the 4 VIP (difficult to redeem in advance), Is there any interest of being an EXP with a 10.500 EQD ?, ( as you'll always be the last EXP on the waiting list)
Free same-day confirmed flight changes
No award booking/change/redeposit fees
120% bonus on RDMs
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:24 pm

AA plane always next to I 190 @ ORD

Why is that plane always sitting next to I 190? I see it quite often coming and going at different times of the day.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Unless you fly to Cuba on AS. No AA miles for that. Stupid rule.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by kayosthery
Why is that plane always sitting next to I 190? I see it quite often coming and going at different times of the day.
Planes line up there to take off on the nearby runway, so sometimes you see one waiting for incoming traffic. If you time it right, you'll see a plane taxiing over the freeway near that spot.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CGRA
Any idea when the VIP will upgrade from Y to PE only and not to J ,?
AFAIK there is not date yet, however do you believe that it'll happen in 2018 ?

No hint as to AA doing this, though it’s consistent with its partner oneworld airlines with PE.

As to confirming a SWU in advance, an ExpertFlyer subscription and flexible travel plans do work for some.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
As you know, AAdvantage award flights cannot be booked more than 331 days out, so there's not much point in checking ba.com sooner than that. And as noted above, the ba.com website often has problems displaying available award itineraries that involve connecting flights.

LATAM flies nonstop to Lima from JFK, IAD, MCO, MIA, and LAX. Once the booking window opens, search ba.com for Avios availability on those routes, and then try to find the necessary flight(s) -- for either cash or AA miles -- from PIT to the LATAM gateway. Make sure that you are not only logged in to your BAEC account, but that you have also selected "Pay with Avios" from the drop-down menu on the flight-search engine when searching for award flights.

If you end up paying cash for your flight between PIT and the LATAM gateway, you do not have to connect within 24 hours. Stopping over at the LATAM gateway for more than 24 hours might -- or might not -- result in greater availability.

If you can't find reasonably priced cash or award-seat availability between PIT and your LATAM gateway, you could also consider doing a one-way car rental from PIT to, say, JFK or MCO -- if you are up for such a long drive with the family.
Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a couple of weeks but wanted to come back and than you, guv & jdiver for your kind suggestions. I'm sure this will be very helpful in January when the dates (Dec '18 / Jan '19) I'd like to fly with my family of 4 between PIT and LIM open up. Cheers, all!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:19 am

What's the AA lounge situation for business class passengers in DFW in Terminal D (I think - DFW-PEK).

Google tells me that one of the lounges is closed, but I think its one in a different terminal. We'll have a couple hours in DFW both ways.

Interested in amenities (showers?) and food.

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:05 am

guys, I just wanted to confirm that if I redeem AA miles for an itinerary involving BA flights, that the carrier-imposed fee (~$500 in this case) will be refunded appropriately if I change the routing to eliminate the BA flights. That is, that in general when one changes the routing on an award itinerary, if the total fees are less on the new itinerary than the old one, the difference is refunded. Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by buckybadger
What's the AA lounge situation for business class passengers in DFW in Terminal D (I think - DFW-PEK).

Google tells me that one of the lounges is closed, but I think its one in a different terminal. We'll have a couple hours in DFW both ways.

Interested in amenities (showers?) and food.

Thanks!
A Club is closed, and C is often very crowded with the overload.

D is open, showers often require a wait; the AMEX Centurion Lounge is accessible near Gate 17. (Better food there.) Flagship Dining (not yet First on,y) is open (but doesn’t open until 8:30 for brekky).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.