Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Your fare might not allow changes but you still should be able to do a same day standby to an earlier flight. Although having bags definitely makes this more difficult. This is the type of scenario where you might have to ask several places but eventually someone will add you to the standby list. Start at the baggage re-check counter just past customs in PHL, if that fails then try the normal check-in desks, if still no luck then try the AC, then a different AC, the gate, and so on.
thank you.
on the US airways days, the GA didn’t even asked me if I had checked bags. She told me that they won’t travel with me only when I asked her for the bags status.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by melrowgo
I'm having a brain fart here... how does one see the ticket number on the AA.com screen for a reservation? It shows ticketed, but I cannot find the ticket number on either the website or the app. Having just read through this ticketing fiasco thread, I want to make sure I have the actual ticket numbers recorded for our trip.
Login and open up "My Trip" then click on "Print trip and receipt" near the bottom.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi, has anyone had experience with getting a name fixed on a reservation?just realised I have an extra letter in my surname on a booking I just made. Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by The_Just
Just curious if there is a maximum number of EQD's that can be earned from AA partners. With EQD's being based on mileage and booking class for partners, it seems to make more sense to chase status via BA, Qatar, et al.

J
No, there is no limit

Checking my records for this year:
- I have earned nearly 11,000EQD
- of which less than 1,000 was earned on AA flights
Yet I have still made PLT Pro for next year

And yes, the EQD earning is often better on partner flights than on AA flights (but EQM earning is usually lower)
The_Just likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Login and open up "My Trip" then click on "Print trip and receipt" near the bottom.
I have both printed the trip and emailed it to myself, but only the RL is showing. It clearly says "Ticketed", but no ticket number is shown. What am I missing?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I have both printed the trip and emailed it to myself, but only the RL is showing. It clearly says "Ticketed", but no ticket number is shown. What am I missing?
Your ticket # should be in the confirmation/receipt e-mail you received when you booked your flight.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Your ticket # should be in the confirmation/receipt e-mail you received when you booked your flight.
Bingo. Found it on the email. Thanks @flyingeph12
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:04 am

Odd, I get a "Print Trip and Receipt" option which yields a different format with a receipt including the ticket number at the bottom. However, provided you can find the email, the method given by flyingeph12 works as long as the trip hasn't been re-ticketed. Another useful hint is that if you put the trip on hold then that email contains a pointer to the detailed fare rules.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:16 am

Thanks for any any help available. My question is on a MR from US to HKG to SIN with a stop over in HKG (8 days) and SIN (3 days) before returning to EWR with partner airline CX. The 5 segment flight is partial in class I and E, BIZ and PE. The flight shows up in ITA as bookable but I have not tried to book yet.. Are awards showing on the AA awards chart, EQD & EQM multipliers for CX flight applied to AA FFP, still hold when there are 2 stopovers or when tickets are purchased separately??

TIA
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CJPacker
Thanks for any any help available. My question is on a MR from US to HKG to SIN with a stop over in HKG (8 days) and SIN (3 days) before returning to EWR with partner airline CX. The 5 segment flight is partial in class I and E, BIZ and PE. The flight shows up in ITA as bookable but I have not tried to book yet.. Are awards showing on the AA awards chart, EQD & EQM multipliers for CX flight applied to AA FFP, still hold when there are 2 stopovers or when tickets are purchased separately??

TIA
Yes, you will earn miles based on the distance and booking code. Whether you have a connection of 8 days or 8 hrs. is irrelevant. Doesn't matter if it's all one PNR or purchased separately. The only critical part on partner carriers like CX is to make sure the booking code is eligible for mileage accrual.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Now that the Flagship Lounges are out, is it still OneWorld Emerald only for the First Lounges?

In other words, could I get into DFW first lounge as an Iberia Plus gold (sapphire)?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Now that the Flagship Lounges are out, is it still OneWorld Emerald only for the First Lounges?

In other words, could I get into DFW first lounge as an Iberia Plus gold (sapphire)?
I think that until the DFW Flagship Lounge opens you can access the First Class Dining lounge as a non-AA Sapphire.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Odd, I get a "Print Trip and Receipt" option which yields a different format with a receipt including the ticket number at the bottom. However, provided you can find the email, the method given by flyingeph12 works as long as the trip hasn't been re-ticketed. Another useful hint is that if you put the trip on hold then that email contains a pointer to the detailed fare rules.
Yes, normally there is a "Print Trip and Receipt" option at the bottom. But for award tickets, or tickets that have been upgraded using SWUs or miles, this link is not there.
Generally, every time a ticket is reissued, you should receive an e-mail confirmation with the ticket number in it (and if you don't, you should call and ask).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Ent PLT
Originally Posted by LupineChemist

You can access all 4 Admirals Club Lounges at DFW as a Sapphire. There is not a dedicated First Class Lounge at DFW. You will also be allowed access to "The Club at DFW" only if flying on BA, JL, QF, or QR.

You can always check which lounges you can enter at OneWorld.com

Link to the DFW Lounges https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/DFW/-1
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Tommy Two Thumbs
You can access all 4 Admirals Club Lounges at DFW as a Sapphire. There is not a dedicated First Class Lounge at DFW. You will also be allowed access to "The Club at DFW" only if flying on BA, JL, QF, or QR.

You can always check which lounges you can enter at OneWorld.com

Link to the DFW Lounges https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/DFW/-1
Así es. But the Club at Terminal A is closed for refurbishment, and consequently the C Club is often quite full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.