Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I don't mean to sound stupid here. I DID read the majority of the AA Lounge thread, including the Wiki, but I am one of those people who needs to hear a confirmation from others who have done this before.

We are flying on another airline to Sicily. We have a significant layover in Rome. I hold a Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard. Can I access an AA lounge in Rome with this card if I am not flying AA that day? Thank you!!
Which airline are you flying? Alitalia? There could be paid lounge access options, or if you have any other credit cards/priority pass, you may have access to a lounge at FCO.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
Thanks. conversely, if you use miles, that will upgrade from Y to business as well?
Yes
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That is correct, 30k each way for business from Asia 1 to Asia 2.
...[/URL]
Thanks for your help, JJeffrey^

Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
Thanks. conversely, if you use miles, that will upgrade from Y to business as well?
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Yes
That’s very good on AA’s part. And smart of them to preserve that benefit, because Y>J upgrades are amomg the most valuable benefits to frequent fliers.

But, this poses another question. Is there a reduced mileage requirement and/or upgrade priority for passengers purchasing PY upgrading to J? Similar to how full fare Y upgrading to J requires fewer miles and no copay?

Also, are full Y fares automatically booked into premium economy seating on aircraft so equipped, or is that a separate booking class?

While upgrading Y>J is often the best value proposition, PY >J can be preferable in a waitlisted situation. That means a relatively better seat is already confirmed in the event that the J upgde does not clear.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum Pro
AA Award Travel Questions

Thanks for having the Newbie Lounge!

I am Plat with AA

Do segments flown on award miles tickets count towards status?

Are upgrades to F possible when flying on an award miles ticket?

Thanks,
JWP
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by jiddywop
Thanks for having the Newbie Lounge!

I am Plat with AA

Do segments flown on award miles tickets count towards status?

Are upgrades to F possible when flying on an award miles ticket?

Thanks,
JWP
No to both. Upgrades on awards only for EXP
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:54 pm

Looking for assistance to ensure I have a potential routing correct. I have researched award space and rules, but remain not 100%. I'm going to Bora Bora in October 2018, and am considering the long way back, PPT-AKL-DOH-LHR/CDG. Will this price as 1 ticket in business for 85k, as long as I use Qatar for both the AKL-DOH and DOH-CDG/LHR legs? Appreciate any input.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hendrixnk75
Looking for assistance to ensure I have a potential routing correct. I have researched award space and rules, but remain not 100%. I'm going to Bora Bora in October 2018, and am considering the long way back, PPT-AKL-DOH-LHR/CDG. Will this price as 1 ticket in business for 85k, as long as I use Qatar for both the AKL-DOH and DOH-CDG/LHR legs? Appreciate any input.
Question also asked here Question on valid routing
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The Citi Exec card comes with a full AC membership, which you don't need to be flying AA to use.

However, since there is no Admirals Club in FCO, it won't do you any good before your flight to Sicily.
Thanks for the reply! And I'm confused now, b/c the well illustrated book that came with the credit card says there's an Admirals Club in Rome (FCO). Maybe it's a misprint?

Thanks again!! :-)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:07 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Thanks for the reply! And I'm confused now, b/c the well illustrated book that came with the credit card says there's an Admirals Club in Rome (FCO). Maybe it's a misprint?

Yes, there is a partner lounge in Rome, and your Citi Executive card gives you (but not authorized users) access. Details here.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Yes, there is a partner lounge in Rome, and your Citi Executive card gives you (but not authorized users) access. Details here.
AA provides lounge access to AC members at certain 3rd party and partner lounges, typically at international outstations (like FCO) where there is no AC. However in order to access these lounges via your AC membership you need to be departing on a same day AA flight.

So departing FCO to Sicily on another carrier won't get you in...
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
LUS 321. Finding myself between 10B and 5C/D. Hmm…
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Thanks again for the replies! :-)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:06 pm

Quick question about routing rules again.... so I put an award on hold for TYO-ORD, with my real intention being TYO-ORD-SAN. They said the route itself is valid, and that it would be under 1 award (first, so 80K miles). But, they said there is no availability from ORD-SAN with a Saver award, therefore they can not add it. I thought a first class award was not a saver award? Unless all partner bookings are considered "saver?"

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Quick question about routing rules again.... so I put an award on hold for TYO-ORD, with my real intention being TYO-ORD-SAN. They said the route itself is valid, and that it would be under 1 award (first, so 80K miles). But, they said there is no availability from ORD-SAN with a Saver award, therefore they can not add it. I thought a first class award was not a saver award? Unless all partner bookings are considered "saver?"

Thanks!
A First Class award can be either SAAver or AAnytime on an all-AA-metal itinerary.

Any award that includes even one segment on partner metal can only be a SAAver award, regardless of class of service.

Remember that you have up to 24 hours to connect in ORD on an international award.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.