Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Hello anybody has ideas on the likely to extend the expiration of AA SWUs? I have 2 left at account and wonder whether there is a chance to extend them... I am currently EXP and foresee myself to re-qualify this year... anybody has ideas? Thanks!
It's not possible to extend the expiration of SWU's. If it was, everyone would be doing it. Some (profitable) members are allowed to apply them to flights after January, but other than that you have to use them by the end of January.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:01 pm

Hello, new to the forum and just got my Amex Platinum. I chose Alaska Airlines as my airline for $200 credit. Does anyone know if you still get reimbursed purchasing Alaska Airline gift card vouchers? Any help appreciated!

Last edited by jbross; Nov 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EP
Wait. U chose AS but want to buy AA gift cards and have them re-imbued by amex?

I don’t see how this would work.

Originally Posted by jbross
Hello, new to the forum and just got my Amex Platinum. I chose Alaska Airlines as my airline for $200 credit. Does anyone know if you still get reimbursed purchasing AA gift card vouchers? Any help appreciated!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Wait. U chose AS but want to buy AA gift cards and have them re-imbued by amex?

I don’t see how this would work.

Typo, Alaska Airlines is what I meant.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jbross
Typo, Alaska Airlines is what I meant.
Gift cards typically don't count, but I would suggest you ask over on the Alaska forum. This is AA.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
How do you cancel an upgrade request? Is it possible online, or is a phone call necessary?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by plinth857
How do you cancel an upgrade request? Is it possible online, or is a phone call necessary?
You have to call.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Credit for unflown segments

Sorry for being the millionth person to ask this...

If I fly a one way multi segment flight and ditch the last flight, do I get credit for previous segments flown or do I get nothing?

Flying from Asia to northern Cal with a great base fare but planning to hop off one stop before the end...don't want to lose all of the miles earned but can handle the last leg not being credited.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gbexile
Sorry for being the millionth person to ask this...

If I fly a one way multi segment flight and ditch the last flight, do I get credit for previous segments flown or do I get nothing?

Flying from Asia to northern Cal with a great base fare but planning to hop off one stop before the end...don't want to lose all of the miles earned but can handle the last leg not being credited.

Any help is much appreciated!
If this is a rt, i wouldn't miss a leg on the outbound - the rest of the itinerary is cancelled.

if this is one way, or the return, there's less but still some risk - think this is hidden city ticketing.

usually can not check bags to your penultimate destination, tho if that is your gateway to the US you can collect 'em and simply not recheck.

if this becomes a habit, you likely will get dinged by aa. if done sporadically,, and especially if the last leg is on another alliance, there's very low risk.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum
I have a flight from JFK-MAD-LIS on one ticket. JFK-MAD operated on AA and MAD-LIS on IB. Is it possible to check bags from JFK to only MAD and then re check in at MAD for the flight to LIS? The connection time is 3+ hours which is sufficient.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jgp777
I have a flight from JFK-MAD-LIS on one ticket. JFK-MAD operated on AA and MAD-LIS on IB. Is it possible to check bags from JFK to only MAD and then re check in at MAD for the flight to LIS? The connection time is 3+ hours which is sufficient.
It's highly doubtful they'll allow you to short-check your baggage. There's no logical reason, and certainly no need to do so - unless you're planning to play hidden city and leave your itinerary in Madrid (which will cancel your return, if you have such on the booking).

The immigration queues at MAD T-4S can be quite lengthy, by the way. Take the farthest right queue; often non-EU passport holders are diverted to the EU portal when it's empty. The far right queue can take 1/3 - 1/2 of the time of the other queues. Just experienced this again Thursday.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:43 pm

Hey guys, I'm not too familiar with AA's routing rules for award travel. I'm trying to go from TYO-SAN, but there aren't any openings on JAL unless I go TYO-JFK-SAN. I can definitely book the TYO-JFK, but is it a valid routing to go TYO-JFK-SAN? The TYO-JFK is less than 25% more than the TYO-SAN MPM, but if you tack on the JFK-SAN it might go over, didn't know how that worked. Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Hey guys, I'm not too familiar with AA's routing rules for award travel. I'm trying to go from TYO-SAN, but there aren't any openings on JAL unless I go TYO-JFK-SAN. I can definitely book the TYO-JFK, but is it a valid routing to go TYO-JFK-SAN? The TYO-JFK is less than 25% more than the TYO-SAN MPM, but if you tack on the JFK-SAN it might go over, didn't know how that worked. Thanks!

There are two threads in particular with Wikiposts that can be helpful:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

The biggest stick at times may be the requirement that the "Or, the "most significant carrier" (e.g. DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK, CX SFO-HKG is the prevailing or most significant carrier) must publish a non-constructed fare between your origin and destination.

To price as a single award, AAdvantage requires the most significant carrier to publish a cash fare (non-constructed) between the origin and destination. Airline MSC would have to have a published fare from XXX to YYY that allows travel on all included airlines, and routing that you want. If the MSC only offers constructed fares between your desired origin and destination, AA will price this as two awards."
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
There are two threads in particular with Wikiposts that can be helpful:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

The biggest stick at times may be the requirement that the "Or, the "most significant carrier" (e.g. DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK, CX SFO-HKG is the prevailing or most significant carrier) must publish a non-constructed fare between your origin and destination.

To price as a single award, AAdvantage requires the most significant carrier to publish a cash fare (non-constructed) between the origin and destination. Airline MSC would have to have a published fare from XXX to YYY that allows travel on all included airlines, and routing that you want. If the MSC only offers constructed fares between your desired origin and destination, AA will price this as two awards."
hmm. thanks for the reply. JL does fly between TYO and SAN direct, so there is a cash fare. I'm just looking at JFK because it's the only route with any availability.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
It seems there is some confusion about the EQD earning on special fares for AA flights booked thru opaque sites:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

One chart lists examples of:
Bulk fares
Cruise fares
Consolidator fares
Discounted or inclusive tour packages
Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV) packages
Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying

Another for:
In some cases, ticket/fare details may not be available at the time your flight is posted. If that happens, you'll earn Award Miles and EQDs at a modified rate based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.*

So, where do the Thank You points bookings fall, as I fare earnings difference are substantial-20% for the former vs the latter at 30% of distance?

Thanks and mahalo
A search brought me to this post, which addresses part of my questions.
Considering booking a consolidator fare for an EXP on oneworld.
Tickets issued as BA (or IB) flights.

Shell the EXP passenger expect free seat selections, extra baggage allowance...all EXP benefits? Does it matter if the flight is operated by AA? I assume no free upgrades because of the non AA ticket anyway.

Also, the charts show EQMs and EQDs for special fares on AA. What happens to EQMs and EQDs when the tickets are issued by other OW carriers? How about lifetime miles flown?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.