Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by turgutbey
Correct, it was booked as a single award SEA-CMB. I actually called back yesterday and a second agent agreed with me that a co-terminal change at a connection point is OK. Award was successfully changed w/o a fee. Quite the uphill battle b/c the first (incorrect) agent actually notated the record with her view and getting 2nd agent to go against 1st took some doing. I appreciate all the help!
Ugh, AA these days. It's bad enough that the AAgent doesn't know basic award routing rules (although not surprising). But to take it one step further and notate your record with incorrect information...
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The co-termninal mention might have ever led to some of the confusion, the simplest path to getting this done would be to refer them to drop segment rule, which is very straightforward.

NOT to say it always happens on the first try either, but it's the rule that allows this change most directly and explicitly.
Except that this wasn't a "drop segment" situation: the traveler was trying to replace a SEA-OAK segment with a SEA-SFO segment.

But I agree that no mention of co-terminals should have been made. This was simply a permissible routing change on a Partner award, with no change to origin, destination, or carriers.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Except that this wasn't a "drop segment" situation: the traveler was trying to replace a SEA-OAK segment with a SEA-SFO segment.
Ahhhhh, yes, thanks for the correction.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

But I agree that no mention of co-terminals should have been made. This was simply a permissible routing change on a Partner award, with no change to origin, destination, or carriers.
Is it permissible even though the first segment is on Alaska? I thought I'd heard that having Alaska on the award limits the permissible routing changes.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by turgutbey
Is it permissible even though the first segment is on Alaska? I thought I'd heard that having Alaska on the award limits the permissible routing changes.
Yes, since there was no change of carriers.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Hi, I'm not a newbie to FT or flying but I am a newbie to American Airlines. I have tried searching, but this forum is so big that I am having trouble. I tried searching on the AA site too and am not getting help there. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. I'm a Delta Diamond and have moved to Miami and have a new job. I will be travelling mostly to Chicago and Dallas so it makes sense to travel on AA and not connect thru ATL all the time. Will I be able to get a status match and if so, how do I go about doing that?

2. How do I avoid booking Basic Economy tickets? Is it noted on the website that this is a basic economy fare or do I have to look in the small print?

3. I've had an AAdvantage number but I haven't flown American in many years so it's probably no longer active. Should I sign up for a new account or is there an advantage to finding my old number (if I still can)?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Traveller
Hi, I'm not a newbie to FT or flying but I am a newbie to American Airlines. I have tried searching, but this forum is so big that I am having trouble. I tried searching on the AA site too and am not getting help there. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. I'm a Delta Diamond and have moved to Miami and have a new job. I will be travelling mostly to Chicago and Dallas so it makes sense to travel on AA and not connect thru ATL all the time. Will I be able to get a status match and if so, how do I go about doing that?
No status matches from AA. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html for information about a status challenge.

2. How do I avoid booking Basic Economy tickets? Is it noted on the website that this is a basic economy fare or do I have to look in the small print?
Basic Economy fares have just been introduced, so they're not very available yet. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html.

When you are selecting flights, you'll see a display

Main Cabin
Meals: Snacks (for a fee)
Booking code: V
Class: Economy

With Basic Economy fares, the booking code is B.

Note that popular threads get long quickly, so we make extensive use of Wikiposts here - look for summary information at the top of the page of both of these threads.

3. I've had an AAdvantage number but I haven't flown American in many years so it's probably no longer active. Should I sign up for a new account or is there an advantage to finding my old number (if I still can)?
I'd try to find the old number, or call. There aren't any major advantages or disadvantages I can think of, but that's just my quirky opinion. Perhaps it could make a small difference to an agent or employee seeing you have a legacy AAdvantage number.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Hey, this should be a quick question, but I thought I'd ask here because I keep finding outdated/contradictory information:

What benefits do I get with an Economy AAnytime award ticket? (priority boarding, extra bag, etc?)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Hey, this should be a quick question, but I thought I'd ask here because I keep finding outdated/contradictory information:

What benefits do I get with an Economy AAnytime award ticket? (priority boarding, extra bag, etc?)
There's a good thread, with a Wikipost at the top of the page summarizing some information, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html, including AAnytime Perks (seat selection including Main Cabin Extra, two 23 kg / 50 lb checked bags, etc.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 14, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by JDiver
There's a good thread, with a Wikipost at the top of the page summarizing some information, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html, including AAnytime Perks (seat selection including Main Cabin Extra, two 23 kg / 50 lb checked bags, etc.)
Thanks, I scoured the thread and I am still unsure on one thing. IIRC, AA removed the extra bag benefit in 2014 -- did they bring it back?

(There didn't seem to be recent reports)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Thanks JDiver! Appreciate your answers!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Thanks, I scoured the thread and I am still unsure on one thing. IIRC, AA removed the extra bag benefit in 2014 -- did they bring it back?

(There didn't seem to be recent reports)
Originally Posted by Traveller
Thanks JDiver! Appreciate your answers!
Well, I can't be sure - a call (hopefully just one) would update our information, and any signed in member with 90 days and 90 posts can update the Wikipost.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Hilton gold, BA
Originally Posted by NavSTL
Hold onto all your boarding passes, first of all. You should receive biz lounge (Admirals Club) access in PHL for your inbound connection to YUW based on your long-haul J ticket. [EDIT: wait, who operates flights between PHL and Nunavut?! If it isn't AA, no PHL lounge access, sorry. Unless you're going to Montréal and meant YUL, in which case you're fine ]

You get zilch for YUW-PHL-LAX at any stage, sad to say. Same for LAX-HNL.

You get access to J lounges in both HNL and LAX on your way back (I think it's a JAL Sakura Lounge in HNL, Admirals Club or OneWorld biz lounge in the TBIT at LAX), plus the arrivals lounge in LHR.

[Edited edit: this is all provided you do not have Sapphire or Emerald status with a non-AA OneWorld carrier; if you do, lounges everywhere, of course.]

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for your help
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Hoping you can help.

Flying with AA later this month BOS/PHL/MCO. My only previous experience of flying AA was a couple of years ago and I was able to pre-order good when flying in F. Correct me if I am wrong but did the AA website not used to state flights of certain durations and departure times would receive X level of refreshments/meals. Does this still apply? Cannot find anything about this now. If not readily accessible, anybody have any ideas what we may be served on this route. First flight leaves BOS at 7.30am arriving PHL at 9.13am. Next flight leaves PHL at 10.45am arriving MCO at 1.17pm.

Also, there appears to be an error on the tickets when displayed on AA. My wife's ticket shows our daughter (aged 8) details when looking at passengers. My daughter' sticker shows her own information. This is a BA issued ticket from LHR. Is this just a glitch or do they need to rectify this in advance. All details seem fine on BA.com

Thanks

Last edited by madfish; Jul 15, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
Hoping you can help.

Flighing with AA later this month BOS/PHL/MCO. My only previous experience of flying AA was a couple of years ago and I was able to pre-order good when flying in F. Correct me if I am wrong but did the AA website not used to state flights of certain durations and departure times would receive X level of refreshments/meals. Does this still apply? Cannot find anything about this now. If not readily accessible, anybody have any ideas what we may be served on this route. First flight leaves BOS at 7.30am arriving PHL at 9.13am. Next flight leaves PHL at 10.45am arriving MCO at 1.17pm.

Also, there appears to be an error on the tickets when displayed on AA. My wife's ticket shows our daughter (aged 8) details when looking at passengers. My daughter' sticker shows her own information. This is a BA issued ticket from LHR. Is this just a glitch or do they need to rectify this in advance. All details seem fine on BA.com

Thanks
The easy way to find out what meals will be offered is to start a booking on AA.com. Under the details tab for each flight it will show you the catering. The meaning of "refreshments" is complicated. There is a thread about AA catering.

Funny things happen when information travels from BA to AA and you probably need to call to check. AA will be able to look at the information but you will have to call BA if it needs fixing.

Edit: it looks as if you get only drinks on the first leg and refreshments (drinks plus a bag of crisps or something) on the second leg.

Last edited by MADPhil; Jul 15, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.