Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:49 pm

I will be flying AA SFO-JFK, landing around 4:10PM and connecting on RJ to Amman at 10:30PM, on a separate ticket. Does anyone know if I can check my bag through to AMM in SFO? If not, would I have to collect my bags at JFK and just wait it out until RJ desk opens? TIA
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:46 pm

3 weeks ago was flying from EU to US in J (full fare) and decided to try and upgrade to F. Had no status at the time (this segment would complete the platinum fast track for me) and asked at the airport to be put on the list to upgrade with miles (25k). I was first on the list and it cleared a bit before boarding. At the gate the GA confirmed that I was upgrading with miles and I boarded in F. Was actually a fantastic flight, with great service.

As as of now they haven't been pulled. I've received credit for the flight and it shows me in J. How long out does it take to catch up?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Is there a current EXP status match?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I will be flying AA SFO-JFK, landing around 4:10PM and connecting on RJ to Amman at 10:30PM, on a separate ticket. Does anyone know if I can check my bag through to AMM in SFO? If not, would I have to collect my bags at JFK and just wait it out until RJ desk opens? TIA
AA will no longer check bags through on separate tickets, although in theory there are supposed to be exceptions in place if one ticket is paid and the other award.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by thelark
3 weeks ago was flying from EU to US in J (full fare) and decided to try and upgrade to F. Had no status at the time (this segment would complete the platinum fast track for me) and asked at the airport to be put on the list to upgrade with miles (25k). I was first on the list and it cleared a bit before boarding. At the gate the GA confirmed that I was upgrading with miles and I boarded in F. Was actually a fantastic flight, with great service.

As as of now they haven't been pulled. I've received credit for the flight and it shows me in J. How long out does it take to catch up?
Typically the miles are pulled right away as soon as the upgrade clears. So there's a chance something fell through the cracks and you'll get lucky, especially as you didn't get on the list till the airport and it didn't clear till the gate. However there's also a chance that it's just taking AA a while to catch up. There are lots of recent reports about AA audits pulling SWUs for flights that happened months ago.

Also...you will receive credit for the original class of service you paid for (J), not the class of service you upgraded to (F). So that seems ok.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by keitherson
Is there a current EXP status match?
No.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:10 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I wanted to search award space for QF flights on aa.com but I got the following error message: "Something went wrong. Please fix the error. Depart. Please check the date you entered." I tried several dates but I still get this error message... Does anyone experience the same?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
I wanted to search award space for QF flights on aa.com but I got the following error message: "Something went wrong. Please fix the error. Depart. Please check the date you entered." I tried several dates but I still get this error message... Does anyone experience the same?
What date are you looking for? Within 330 days?
A QF flight from LAX/SFO/DFW/JFK?
QF thread on the AA forum here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:27 am
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What date are you looking for? Within 330 days?
A QF flight from LAX/SFO/DFW/JFK?
QF thread on the AA forum here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Well, I'm not able to search for any date for flight at all. A got the same message, also for an aa flight from PHL to AMS on whatever date.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Well, I'm not able to search for any date for flight at all. A got the same message, also for an aa flight from PHL to AMS on whatever date.
Have you tried from another device? Try clearing your browser cookies. aa.cim award search is working fine for me.

And if you haven't done so, consider signing up for a BAEC account so you can search forvaward space on the BA site - it includes some airlines aa.com doesn't.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:07 am
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by JDiver
Have you tried from another device? Try clearing your browser cookies. aa.cim award search is working fine for me.

And if you haven't done so, consider signing up for a BAEC account so you can search forvaward space on the BA site - it includes some airlines aa.com doesn't.
Thanx, I will try from other device. Actually I was looking for award space from PER to ASP. I can find ASP in the AA award engine but not with BAEC. I know BAEC has more airlines to search for award space but some airports like PDL are not showing up at BAEC.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by JDiver
No.
Cheapskates!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:28 am

Check if it says "All airlines" under Options on AA.com (instead of just American Airlines.)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:45 pm

Question on AA Award Space

Originally Posted by laagima
Check if it says "All airlines" under Options on AA.com (instead of just American Airlines.)
If I am looking to secure a one way ticket from (Spain (MAD?), or France (CDG?)) to SFO, in late Sept to early Oct 2017, when can I expect AA to release the preponderance of such award seating?

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:50 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by laagima
Thanx, issue has been resolved. Tried also on this device and now it works!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.