Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:00 pm

question 2

I was reading about the EQD % and all of that, and I really want to go to Europe from the US, and I want to take advantage of that.

I'm in Texas (will be flying out of Dallas or Houston) can you recommend the best way for me to find a cheap flight to Europe on a partner airline when I really don't care about the destination? I just want to get there to earn the miles while also getting to go hang out for a bit there...don't really care where I end up.

I'm subbed to Scott's cheap flights, which is nice, but still it's not often I get a good one out of Texas. and usually flying to NY and back to leave from there kind of negates the really sick deal..unless there's a better way to do that.

Thanks!

I know I sound like a noob, but I kind of am so be gentle.

thank you
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alexwastaken
Super, super new to all this.

Basically, I'm about halfway to platinum for next year in all 3 qualification sections.

Would it be better for me to do mileage runs, or segment runs? Is there a general consensus which is more efficient?

Basically trying to find a way to search for just AA flights that will give me the most cost effective way to ensure I get Platinum for next year. I know all the standard sites for cheap flights and what not, but I didn't know if you happened to have any more advice? Am I just going to have to search for random trips on AA.com and try to find something crazy myself?
I'm assuming that this is for a Platinum Challenge. Otherwise, this is rather early in the year to be thinking about MRs. If not a Challenge, any advice would have to take into account other flights you have planned.

Most of the discussion seems to focus on EQM runs rather than EQS runs, probably because people tend to be much closer to the goal on the former than the latter. And the need to meet the EQD goal might make one choice better than the other.

There is a thread for advice on AA MRs which you should find very helpful. Be sure to be specific in indicating where you would be starting MRs from, the number you still need for EQM/EQS/EQD, the Challenge deadline, any other date constraints, any spending constraints, any preferences (or passport/visa-imposed limits) on foreign travel.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I'm assuming that this is for a Platinum Challenge. Otherwise, this is rather early in the year to be thinking about MRs. If not a Challenge, any advice would have to take into account other flights you have planned.

Most of the discussion seems to focus on EQM runs rather than EQS runs, probably because people tend to be much closer to the goal on the former than the latter. And the need to meet the EQD goal might make one choice better than the other.

There is a thread for advice on AA MRs which you should find very helpful. Be sure to be specific in indicating where you would be starting MRs from, the number you still need for EQM/EQS/EQD, the Challenge deadline, any other date constraints, any spending constraints, any preferences (or passport/visa-imposed limits) on foreign travel.
that's great, thank you so much for that. yea, i know it's early, but my work is purely freelance travel and i have a really good estimate of how much i'm going to fly to the end of the year, so i know i'll probably need about 10 segments, 10-15k miles, and maybe $1000. EQD might be off because who knows, but the other two are going to be pretty spot on so I figured I would start planning now because I want to try to go to Europe in September.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I used a trusted BA technique of just calling in again. Different person on the phone today and different rules. I was able to upgrade to F with just the fare difference this time, but I couldn't pay over the phone unless I had a US credit card. So apparently it's noted on my reservation and I have to go process in person at the airport.
FFS. I turn up at the airport and am told I owe $134 plus a $200 change fee, which is the third different thing I was told and was the most expensive of all of them. I expect this kind of thing in the UK, but I'm really surprised this is so difficult on AA. I asked the agent and she said that there was always a hefty change fee on people looking to pay into First.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alexwastaken
that's great, thank you so much for that. yea, i know it's early, but my work is purely freelance travel and i have a really good estimate of how much i'm going to fly to the end of the year, so i know i'll probably need about 10 segments, 10-15k miles, and maybe $1000. EQD might be off because who knows, but the other two are going to be pretty spot on so I figured I would start planning now because I want to try to go to Europe in September.

Thanks again!
In that case, knowing what your planned flights are could also help. People would probably be able to suggest ways to modify them to add segments cheaply; if any are international, similar tweaks to up EQD might be possible.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Can I change the frequent flier number on a ticket inbetween the outbound and return? I have a ZRH-BOS business ticket that leaves in August and returns in April and was going to credit to AS, but given today's news, think I'm going to try and credit the outbound to AS and the return to either AA or BA. Does AA's IT allow for this?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
Can I change the frequent flier number on a ticket inbetween the outbound and return? I have a ZRH-BOS business ticket that leaves in August and returns in April and was going to credit to AS, but given today's news, think I'm going to try and credit the outbound to AS and the return to either AA or BA. Does AA's IT allow for this?
You can call in or get an agent at the airport to change it. In principle even at the gate, but it is better to do it in advance and check that it updated. It is possible to do it for a single segment.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Could someone explain the systemwide upgrades a bit more clearly when you achieve executive platinum status? Do the upgrades reset every year the user is exec platinum or are they only achievable by the amount of miles earned through flying (2 per 50 ADEs above 100k)?

I.e, lets assume i achieve exec platinum for year 2018 and use up all eight of my systemwide upgrades (assuming i get the additional 4 per 50k miles above 100k).

If i achieve exec platinum in year 2019 as well, do i recieve an additional 4 systemwide upgrades (as well as the ability to get 4 more each time i fly 50k over 100k again)?

Please let me know if my question does not make good sense.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by DevChatt
Could someone explain the systemwide upgrades a bit more clearly when you achieve executive platinum status? Do the upgrades reset every year the user is exec platinum or are they only achievable by the amount of miles earned through flying (2 per 50 ADEs above 100k)?

I.e, lets assume i achieve exec platinum for year 2018 and use up all eight of my systemwide upgrades (assuming i get the additional 4 per 50k miles above 100k).

If i achieve exec platinum in year 2019 as well, do i recieve an additional 4 systemwide upgrades (as well as the ability to get 4 more each time i fly 50k over 100k again)?

Your questions are answered pretty thoroughly in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

Four SWUs are earned by Executive Platinum AAdvantage members when they cross the threshold to EXP, and their expiration is essentially the same as the earned status - the last day of February of the ensuing status year (e.g. earn May 15 2017, the status and SWUs are good through 31 Jan 2019).

Two SWUs are earned by Executive Platinum AAdvantage members when they cross the 150,000 and 200,000 EQ EQ Miles; their expiration is essentially the same as the earned status as described above. (Further increments of 50,000 EQM past 200,000 earn no more SWU.)

Four SWUs are earned by those crossing Million Miler thresholds of 2MM and every Million Miles milestone thereafter.
The only thing I think you have wrong is that you don't earn an additional 2 SWU's for every 50k miles over 100k. You only earn them for 150k and 200k.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
^^Thanks. I did read that. It seems that this doesn't renew every year of status unless i am misreading.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
^^Thanks. I did read that. It seems that this doesn't renew every year of status unless i am misreading.
You do get a fresh batch of four SWUs (with the chance for four more at 150k and 200k EQM as noted) EACH year you qualify or requalify, yes. They are not a perk just for new Exec Plats.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Every year you "make" Executive Platinum, you receive 4 SWU.

When you have earned 150,000 EQM, you earn two more SWU. When you have earned 200,000 EQM you earn two more SWU.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Is there a particular time of day when AA releases reward seats?
Seems to be sometime in the afternoon here in the UK (4pm or 11am EST seems to be when I've noticed things appearing but I don't constantly check).
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Every year you "make" Executive Platinum, you receive 4 SWU.

When you have earned 150,000 EQM, you earn two more SWU. When you have earned 200,000 EQM you earn two more SWU.
This answers your question.
And remember all within the same calendar year since EQM or EQD will reset to zero on Jan 1.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Hilton gold, BA
Newbie question regarding lounge access

Hi there. I have looked on AA website and also forum - however if I am honest I lost the will to live. OK. My basic question is where will I have Lounge access? I am really confused about how this works as never usually fly AA

LHR-PHL AA Business (know we have lounge access here)
PHL-YUW (Economy as nothing else)

Staying in canada

YUW-PHL ( as above)
PHL-LAX (first class) - same say as earlier flight

Staying in LA

LAX-HNL (First class)

Staying in HNL

HNL-LAX-LHR (first and business)

Any help or advice would be great - traveling in 2 weeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.