Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by duvin
Sorry for my stupidness, but I'm new to the American way of status challenges. Have I understood AA's Plat challenge correctly?

1. I pay $200 to AA for the challenge
2. I fly ARN-LHR-LAX-LHR-ARN ticketed by BA in I-class
3. I have AA platinum (for how long?)
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Read the chAAllenge details carefully. Normally, the tickets have to be coded as "AA" flight numbers in order for them to qualify for the chAAllenge.
(unless the challenge specifically allows BA-coded flights).

I suggest you both read the wiki at the top of this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html

To answer your newbie question duvin
- yes you will achieve Platinum status (at least 12,500EQM and 2,000EQD, provided all flights are within a three month period)
- for how long depends on the start date of your challenge
- start before 16-June, status will last to 31-Jan-2018
- start on or after 16-June, status will last until 31-Jan-2019

Last edited by pandaperth; Apr 25, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I suggest you both read the wiki at the top of this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html

To answer your newbie question duvin
- yes you will achieve Platinum status (at least 12,500EQM and 2,000EQD, provided all flights are within a three month period)
- for how long depends on the start date of your challenge
- start before 16-June, status will last to 31-Jan-2018
- start on or after 16-June, status will last until 31-Jan-2019
I've read the wiki and just couldn't believe the ease of this... Thanks for confirming!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Thanks in advance for reading this. I couldn't find during my search anyone who has experienced this same issue, but hopefully someone can help me out. I am an AAdvantage member without any status. I have been a member for 20ish years. I do not have any AA branded credit cards.

My issue: When I buy tickets on AA.com it lets me know that the 1st checked bag is "No Charge". When I go to the kiosks it tries to make me pay so I go to the counter. I screen shot the reservation and print it out (I started doing this after the first time it happened). The desk will waive the fee. Today the desk and the supervisor both refused to waive the fee and I had to pay otherwise I would have missed my flight.

I am trying to figure out the best way to handle this. It seems like a DOT complaint with a credit card chargeback is the best option? How would you handle this?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
1st ask AA for a refund. If they refuse then file with CC for chargeback. Also file with DOT regardless. This will motivate AA to train their agents.

BTW the 1dt checked bag being free, this is on the receipt correct? This isn't an ad saying 1dt checked bag free that is to be clicked on?

Finally what countries were you flying between?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
1st ask AA for a refund. If they refuse then file with CC for chargeback. Also file with DOT regardless. This will motivate AA to train their agents.

BTW the 1dt checked bag being free, this is on the receipt correct? This isn't an ad saying 1dt checked bag free that is to be clicked on?

Finally what countries were you flying between?
This is most definitely the receipt and not an ad. It is the last page after you pay on AA.com. It gives you your record locator and reservation name, then the details of the flight. Next is an add for hotels. Then it goes into the baggage information section. It talks about the different costs of carry-on and checked baggage. Next section is passenger summary then finally trip insurance. It is in the baggage information section that it has the pricing breakdown.

The supervisor even took a picture of it with her cell phone to have a record of it. My guess is they think I photoshoped it which I most definitely did not.

This was a domestic USA only flight.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by umcsom
Thanks in advance for reading this. I couldn't find during my search anyone who has experienced this same issue, but hopefully someone can help me out. I am an AAdvantage member without any status. I have been a member for 20ish years. I do not have any AA branded credit cards.

My issue: When I buy tickets on AA.com it lets me know that the 1st checked bag is "No Charge". When I go to the kiosks it tries to make me pay so I go to the counter. I screen shot the reservation and print it out (I started doing this after the first time it happened). The desk will waive the fee. Today the desk and the supervisor both refused to waive the fee and I had to pay otherwise I would have missed my flight.

I am trying to figure out the best way to handle this. It seems like a DOT complaint with a credit card chargeback is the best option? How would you handle this?
This is quite odd since, without status or an appropriate credit card, you should not be getting a free bag unless you are in Premium Economy or above. The legally binding baggage allowance and fees are at the bottom of the email receipt that you should get.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
This is quite odd since, without status or an appropriate credit card, you should not be getting a free bag unless you are in Premium Economy or above. The legally binding baggage allowance and fees are at the bottom of the email receipt that you should get.
I never noticed the baggage info on the email receipt before but here it is with destinations marked out:

Baggage Information

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -xxxxxx-No free checked bags/ American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -xxxxxx-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-xxxxxx-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-xxxxxx-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-xxxxxxx-USD35.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-xxxxxx-USD35.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY
You have purchased a NON-REFUNDABLE fare. The itinerary must be canceled before the ticketed departure time of the first unused coupon or the ticket has no value. If the fare allows changes, a fee may be assessed for changes and restrictions may apply.

You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. You must cancel your trip before requesting a refund. To cancel your trip, login on aa.com or Contact Reservations. For our refund policy and to request a refund, go to www.aa.com/refunds.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by umcsom
I never noticed the baggage info on the email receipt before but here it is with destinations marked out:
That wording usually means you have status or a credit card with a free bag. There is no free allowance but the first bag charge is waived, meaning that a second bag will be charged at the second bag rate. That text is required by the DOT and should be binding. However, this doesn't help you to understand why you have a free bag!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I understand AA charges a close-in fee or something similar for award bookings.

I no longer have status with AA and I'm looking at changing the departure time (same day and oneworld airline). The flight is in five days.

Is this a situation where the charge would be levied?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by danger
I understand AA charges a close-in fee or something similar for award bookings.

I no longer have status with AA and I'm looking at changing the departure time (same day and oneworld airline). The flight is in five days.

Is this a situation where the charge would be levied?
No.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:48 am

Two Airlines?

I got an itinerary with both American Airline and United Airline flights created for me through my work. I'm I able to attach both loyalties to the itinerary or do I have to choose one. If I can only choose 1 what would be the better option? FYI there are more Miles flown on American than United.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Hi guys, I'm flying MAN-BOS next week booked on one PNR, the international leg is MAN-PHL, then a domestic PHL-BOS, all on AA. I have a couple of questions:-

1. Do I clear immigration at PHL? (UK passport, no GE)
2. Do have to collect and recheck my bag or will it go straight to BOS?

This is the first time I've done an international and domestic on the same day so I'm a bit nervous the 2 hrs 10 min at PHL won't be enough.

Thanks, T
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lima.beans
I got an itinerary with both American Airline and United Airline flights created for me through my work. I'm I able to attach both loyalties to the itinerary or do I have to choose one. If I can only choose 1 what would be the better option? FYI there are more Miles flown on American than United.
You will only not be able to earn any AA miles for the UA flights, and visa-versa.

If your work travel program lets you attach both frequent flier numbers, then do that. When you check-in, make sure your UA number is on your boarding pass for the UA flight, and AA number on the boarding pass for the AA flight.

If your work travel program only lets you attach one frequent flier number, then just pick one, but make sure you switch numbers at the airport for whatever flight doesn't match up.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Hi guys, I'm flying MAN-BOS next week booked on one PNR, the international leg is MAN-PHL, then a domestic PHL-BOS, all on AA. I have a couple of questions:-

1. Do I clear immigration at PHL? (UK passport, no GE)
2. Do have to collect and recheck my bag or will it go straight to BOS?

This is the first time I've done an international and domestic on the same day so I'm a bit nervous the 2 hrs 10 min at PHL won't be enough.

Thanks, T
You will clear immigration at PHL, then collect your bag, pass through customs, and then re-check it to BOS just outside of customs. 2 hr 10 min should be fine.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You will clear immigration at PHL, then collect your bag, pass through customs, and then re-check it to BOS just outside of customs. 2 hr 10 min should be fine.
Thanks JJeffrey ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.